Bowie discusses Morrissey leaving the Outside tour (1995)

This was explained ages ago and now some mourning Bowie fans are trying to clean his name but there is a reason he died from cancer and Moz survived it.

People on here claiming they were there when venue after venue cleared out when Moz was done and Bowie went on. Despite his worst album Morrissey stole the show over a legend like Bowie and the fallout was obvious and Moz has mentioned it more than once how Bowie bullied him off the tour to save his face or so Bowie thought.

It was hard on Moz being his fan and all and everyone on here knows Moz never said a word when Bowie died cause of what happened on that tour. Now let the revisionist Bowie fans have their little moment and try all they might to rescue a dead mans legacy but sadly for them the truth is out there and has been for ages.

Some people are so pathetic is becomes funny so I hope this thread will grow and grow to see how they twist and turn like maggots in a coffin.

There is indeed a reason that Bowie died from cancer and Morrissey didn’t.

It’s because Morrissey has never had cancer.

Waving to all the Bowie forumistas here and welcome to a forum where the artist in question is still alive. Must get boring adoring a corpse.

But thanks for providing the comedy.

Y’know, Bowie was never always at the ‘legend’ status that years away from the limelight bought him. In ‘95 the world’s media was recalling the Ziggy days, and being a bit of a glam rock Stalwart with the same sort of notoriety as for e.g. Garry Glitter or Mud. Outside further cemented him as being a bit sort of passé. It was very much regarded as a futile attempt to recapture the alternative crowd, and generally it was high concept, high drama and not very good.
So I can believe that a pretty large portion of these attendees of these Moz supported shows were Morrissey fans.
The whole prospect of this is something that sounds good on paper but just wouldn’t work. And hey, it didn’t.

Y’know, Bowie was never always at the ‘legend’ status that years away from the limelight bought him. In ‘95 the world’s media was recalling the Ziggy days, and being a bit of a glam rock Stalwart with the same sort of notoriety as for e.g. Garry Glitter or Mud. Outside further cemented him as being a bit sort of passé. It was very much regarded as a futile attempt to recapture the alternative crowd, and generally it was high concept, high drama and not very good.
So I can believe that a pretty large portion of these attendees of these Moz supported shows were Morrissey fans.
The whole prospect of this is something that sounds good on paper but just wouldn’t work. And hey, it didn’t.

I agree though I’m American and not British. Tin machine was for sure an attempt amongst others to try and tap that crowd and generation and it did not work

You can believe what you like, but it simply wasn't the case (Dublin apart)

Amyone who says otherwise either wasn't there or is lying.

I was at the Exeter gig of this tour, a few days before he walked off the tour, Moz was very poor that night, a 45 min set, few hits, very little if any conversation between tracks, it's like he didn't want to be there (he didn't). As a Moz fan I was gutted.
Nobody I could see left after his set. Bowie played for nearly 2 hours and by contrast was brilliant (and I'm not a big Bowie fan, I was there to see Moz)

I was there at Exeter and I was straight out the door after Moz finished. As did a fair few others. Bowie at that time was just tedious. (Although I have to agree Moz was hopeless that night)

Morrissey more popular and loved.

Hahahahaa you idiot.

Not one night at a 1500 venue has sold out, bowie sold out wembly in his 50s
Even in Moz Angeles Moz could only do two nights and they weren't sold out.
Bowie was playing arenas still, before he retired.
Bowie was and is way more popular. He was also as loved as deeply as Moz ever was, even during his 80s, 90s off peak time. More than that he is respected more.

The bs about bowie bullying moz, is jokes. Bowie was tiny, he could never bully moz.
Moz was 'not well' think about the company Moz kept then, you may at last get an answer
tenor.gif

right...Moz is the Incredible Hulk here (both claim to be 5’10”, as if) :rofl:maybe a hunk of burning love for Bowie, but only in that sense!:flamethrow:

Yeah I was at Birmingham. The lights went down and Morrissey came on with the arena only half full. I was able to easily get to the center front row. At the time Morrissey was significantly less popular in England than he is now believe it or not. The NME (a very powerful newspaper at the time) had turned on him a few years before and by 1995 they simply looked past him. Southpaw Grammar hadn't sold well and Morrissey was in his late 30's. Brit-pop was in full swing and Morrissey was not included in the party, despite all of those in the new spotlight owing Morrissey a huge debt.
The Outsiders tour was originally meant to be a joint tour but as it began it became clear (for what ever reason) that Morrissey was the support act. Playing to pretty much silence.
I think several things came together during that period. Morrissey was finding living in Camden increasingly difficult. I remember visiting Camdem at the time and I got hassled in the street just for wearing a Morrissey T-Shirt. I can't imagine what it was like actually being Morrissey. I think his relationship with Jake was ending or had ended and it seemed clear that his career in the UK was over. He didn't have a record deal, a place to live and he was incredibly unpopular with the press and the general public. It seemed his time had past. Bowie probably wasn't particularly sensitive to those pressures I imagine (you can see it in that interview), However none of those things were Bowie's fault. He'd probably thought Morrissey was on the crest of a wave, after all just a few years before he'd taken America by storm. Instead Bowie found himself on tour with a faded, jaded, lonely man in a ill-fitting suit who was on a roll of getting bad review after bad review.

Having said that Bowie was awful too at the time. Terrible music (drum/bass) but crucially he has the full support of the music press, which he retained until his death. I left after a few Bowie songs, Morrissey had pulled me up on stage and despite everything I was elated. Morrissey disappear for a while. I guess he move to LA and then.......... the internet happened and Morrissey's career got caught another wave.

Great post. It just shows, I think, how much longevity and 'legacy' can have an impact if you hold on long enough. Post-2004, Morrissey became an 'elder statesman of indie' figure, which has carried him through each controversy. Strange to think how in 1995, he just hadn't been around long enough to have that respect and was thought of as a dead duck. The band came in for a lot of stick as well.

From Autobiog:

Back in New York, David Bowie asks me, ‘Do you, er, still have the same band?’ ‘Yes,’ I say, and he looks downwards. The word is well established that the Morrissey band is not as good as the Smiths, or even up to much in their own right. It is an accusation that I must live with for the rest of my life, irrespective of how often the line-up changes.

Great post. It just shows, I think, how much longevity and 'legacy' can have an impact if you hold on long enough. Post-2004, Morrissey became an 'elder statesman of indie' figure, which has carried him through each controversy. Strange to think how in 1995, he just hadn't been around long enough to have that respect and was thought of as a dead duck. The band came in for a lot of stick as well.

From Autobiog:

Back in New York, David Bowie asks me, ‘Do you, er, still have the same band?’ ‘Yes,’ I say, and he looks downwards. The word is well established that the Morrissey band is not as good as the Smiths, or even up to much in their own right. It is an accusation that I must live with for the rest of my life, irrespective of how often the line-up changes.

https://media.giphy.com/media/7fLvK10wH1Mpa/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Bowie is having the last laugh I reckon. His talent continued to flower to the very end. The Next Day and Blackstar piss on any of Moz's recent work. Even Moz knows it - playing virtually nothing off L in HS on his current tour...the quality of his lyrics these days is mediocre at best.

It's true. And Bowie managed to elevate and be inspired by his legacy with the last fourth albums, while morrissey has pissed all over his, by revealing himself to be desperate as Kardashian (there's nothing he wont say to maintain fame) and not a little dumb. Is he racist? Fascist? Tired? Senile? Probably.

The love, intelligence and care he put into the music, its presentation and promotion has gone.

f*** thicko morrissey!

Viva SMITHS!

A liar beyond the grave and it is well documented how he bullied Morrissey off the tour for the simple fact Morrissey had more fans at every gig and most of them left when Moz was done and Bowie entered the stage.

I was at 5 gigs at Wembley Arena and the place cleared out when Moz was done. Touching your nose has been proved by psychology to be a sure sign of someone who is lying.

Moz was kind enough toward his old idol to blame illness instead of the fact Bowie could not take he was yesterdays news and Morrissey was more loved and popular.
I thought Moz was depressed over the breakup with Jake and also because he was playing to a sterile Bowie crowd. I saw the Outside tour in Dublin and the place did not empty after Moz finished, but certainly the front rows thinned and there was less of a crush of fans. Bowie just didn't instill the level of hero worship that Moz did/does. I also thought a reason Moz left is because Bowie never spoke to him backstage or made any effort to see how Moz was getting on. I reckon all these pop/rock stars are ego maniacs apart from Robert Smith.

Bowie is having the last laugh I reckon. His talent continued to flower to the very end. The Next Day and Blackstar piss on any of Moz's recent work. Even Moz knows it - playing virtually nothing off L in HS on his current tour...the quality of his lyrics these days is mediocre at best.
FFS you'd be the first person complaining if Moz played any songs off LIHS and now you're complaining he didn't. What do you want, Your Arsenal reheated ad nauseam for 10 albums?

It's true. And Bowie managed to elevate and be inspired by his legacy with the last fourth albums, while morrissey has pissed all over his, by revealing himself to be desperate as Kardashian (there's nothing he wont say to maintain fame) and not a little dumb. Is he racist? Fascist? Tired? Senile? Probably.

The love, intelligence and care he put into the music, its presentation and promotion has gone.

f*** thicko morrissey!

Viva SMITHS!
Bowie's last good album was Heathen. Reality, The Next Day, and Blackstar were a complete load of boring bollox apart from three songs: Where are we now, Blackstar, Lazarus. Moz's last good album was his last album.

Moz couldnt handle the competition.
Morrissey was obsessed with Bowie, why do you think he had KY around. Get real.

The reason Moz dropped out was due to Moz being ill. Mentally ill

Bowie was never nazi. He was never racist. Moz is obviously a racist and gets hard over Tommy Robson. Like the little gay he is. Poor gay morrissey.
Self denial causing you to sick back up your mouthful of protein?

Court would be like "so they present some kind of evidence from 1995 in 2019".

Case dismissed!

This shit took longer than those MeToo stories.

LOL

Bowie fans always were the saddest losers out there in their weird outfits and shit. Follow an idol that glorified the use of drugs and young people dying from it. I always wondered what you would label his music as.

Muzzak jazz on downers?

Elevator music anyway!

Hiss musik
åh hiss musik
det är musik av Bowie

och är det inte hiss musik
så är det inte Bowies musik

hiss musik
åh hiss musik
det är musik av Bowie

SKÅL!

f*** thicko morrissey!

Viva SMITHS!
I wonder if he will be attending the Met Gala tonight with the Klano_O? Fingers Crossed!!
kris-jenner-met-gala-2019.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom