Boz is back in town - Interview in Hot Press Magazine (Ireland)

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Is this a picture of the gay American president? O.J. Simpson ?? Elton John ??

"Does Boz cringe along with the rest of the world when Morrissey drops the occasional verbal clanger, such as likening the 2011 Norway massacre to the evils of fast-food? He falls silent, not quite sure how to answer".

How sad that even Moz' right-hand man is too scared to speak his mind at this stage in the game.

It's not that he's to scared to speak his mind. The boys just too busy eating, to say one word.

Boz is lovely and always makes time to talk with me on Facebook. I sent him one of my tracks recently and he took the time to listen to it and told me it was lovely. I will always remember this gesture. On a similar note, I recorded a cover of Still Ill because I was bored, I play all the insruments and wail along, etc...it's very similar to the original but just playing it was sheer enjoyment...see what you think.

http://snd.sc/XVps7Z

thanks

Er . . no thanks.

"Does Boz cringe along with the rest of the world when Morrissey drops the occasional verbal clanger, such as likening the 2011 Norway massacre to the evils of fast-food? He falls silent, not quite sure how to answer".

How sad that even Moz' right-hand man is too scared to speak his mind at this stage in the game.

I am of the opinion that Morrissey and Boz are actually friends. It's just an opinion.

I know if I was being interviewed about a friend I would always do everything I could to talk about him/her in the best possible light. I don't think Boz is too scared. I think he's being a good friend. If they were interviewing the new drummer I'd have a different take on it.

I am of the opinion that Morrissey and Boz are actually friends. It's just an opinion.

I know if I was being interviewed about a friend I would always do everything I could to talk about him/her in the best possible light. I don't think Boz is too scared. I think he's being a good friend. If they were interviewing the new drummer I'd have a different take on it.

I think a significant point here is that being friends with Morrissey - and attempting to SUSTAIN that relationship - often requires going beyond the call of duty.

neil degrasse tyson.

This guy is awesome. I'm not sure he'd make a good president but he'd have to be better than Obomney... which isn't hard to be.

I think a significant point here is that being friends with Morrissey - and attempting to SUSTAIN that relationship - often requires going beyond the call of duty.

If it's a real friendship then you just react by standing up for your friends and doing whatever you can to bring them up. You don't have to attempt anything.

neil degrasse tyson.

Thank you kindly Wozzles for your suggestion of Mr Neil deGrasse Tyson. Yes friends, "It doesn't take rocket-science to know that kindness is a virtue." Good Show Wozzles ! Had never heard of this fine fellow and we learned something new today. There's still good people on this site cause "People Are The Same Every Where"

If it's a real friendship then you just react by standing up for your friends and doing whatever you can to bring them up. You don't have to attempt anything.

Very good point. I just automatically assumed it's not easy to be friends with Morrissey even if you want to be.

So you'd be unfaltering positive and complimentary, regardless of what your friend had said or done, even if they had blatantly put their foot in their mouth and said something crass and stupid? That's a strange kind of friendship. Being a "yes-man" isn't loyalty; a true friend has the guts to tell you if they think you've screwed up, and to present a balanced picture to anyone else who asks about you - Linder Sterling is a good example when it comes to Moz. Maybe I've got the wrong handle on it - maybe Boz completely agrees with Morrissey's statement(s) - but the impression I get from that interview is that he doesn't agree, and doesn't have the balls to say so in public.

It's just like when Stephen Street spoke about the Viva Hate remaster, and that it seemed a strange decision to cut short "Maudlin Street" and add a demo to the tracklist - he was just being honest, but so many people here said "Oh look, there he goes again, screwing up any chance of friendship with Moz!". Who is this infantile dictator that can't handle anyone disagreeing with him? Is it really Morrissey? But hey, Boz has been in the band since the get-go and watched his own close friends be hired & fired without giving so much as a squeak in their defence, so why would he start challenging the boss now?

So you'd be unfaltering positive and complimentary, regardless of what your friend had said or done, even if they had blatantly put their foot in their mouth and said something crass and stupid? That's a strange kind of friendship. Being a "yes-man" isn't loyalty; a true friend has the guts to tell you if they think you've screwed up, and to present a balanced picture to anyone else who asks about you - Linder Sterling is a good example when it comes to Moz. Maybe I've got the wrong handle on it - maybe Boz completely agrees with Morrissey's statement(s) - but the impression I get from that interview is that he doesn't agree, and doesn't have the balls to say so in public.

It's just like when Stephen Street spoke about the Viva Hate remaster, and that it seemed a strange decision to cut short "Maudlin Street" and add a demo to the tracklist - he was just being honest, but so many people here said "Oh look, there he goes again, screwing up any chance of friendship with Moz!". Who is this infantile dictator that can't handle anyone disagreeing with him? Is it really Morrissey? But hey, Boz has been in the band since the get-go and watched his own close friends be hired & fired without giving so much as a squeak in their defence, so why would he start challenging the boss now?

So you know Boz well enough to know that he was close friends with other band members? you can say this with authority? And please let us know which band members were "fired"?

Superbly put. Please cut and paste this for all future threads on interviews with Morrissey associates!

Hi Amy. I think part of it could be that we all make the mistake of assuming other people agree with us, many times right until they shock us by telling us they don't. It's possible that you think you and Boz are both rational people so of course you're both horrified by Morrissey's comments. You're assuming that Boz is choking back his disagreement and that he would like to and probably should denounce what Morrissey said.

It's possible that he simply assumes Morrissey can speak for himself and doesn't want to have his own series of statements and explanations about something he wouldn't have said himself, and maybe even disagrees, but I don't think it's fear of denouncing Morrissey's views, but more of a worldview where people have differing opinions. It's also a matter of loyalty and respect, not to go along with anything Morrissey says, but to let him take care of that part of his career, and concentrate on the musical side.

I have a friend that says things that would make headlines if she were famous, and I don't always agree, but if I were asked to comment on her views, I'd do the same thing, neither endorse them nor condemn them. After all it's just something that was said and it happens to be true, but just in bad taste to say it. I don't think it requires everyone he knows to sign a statement saying they disagree.

Reporters try to keep this crap going for headlines. If that was the most important thing they talked about it wasn't a very good interview and maybe Boz was trying to keep from telling the reporter it was a stupid question. "what do you think of what your friend/boss said, months and months ago, that caused all that controversy, and would you like to warm it up and have leftovers?" is basically the question. How would you answer it?

What does the Moz organisation look for in a sticksman?

“Well, they were all pretty good. Any of them could have done the job. We picked who we thought was the best person at that moment.”

Sounds like a drummers lucky dip "err think of a number between 1 and 6 ! err 3 right number 3 your the drummer for the moment

So you know Boz well enough to know that he was close friends with other band members? you can say this with authority? And please let us know which band members were "fired"?

Boz has known Alain Whyte since they were teenagers. He introduced Gary and Spencer to Morrissey and got them into the band; he also managed to persuade Morrissey to take back them back after both were fired prior to the recording of Vauxhall. Cobrin came back briefly (1995-1998) before being sacked again after a row over money/the infamous "Jew Boy" fax etc, and Day was hired back for the Oye Esteban tour and stayed around until Refusal. Now Gary, Alain and Spencer are all long gone, and only Boz remains. Is that because he's the best musician? Or because he's given up trying to reason with the Boss and now doesn't care who comes and goes as long as he gets paid? He should have spoken up when Morrissey & co dropped Alain Whyte like a hot brick after 13 years and yet continued to use his songs, but he didn't. Boz has become a yes-man.

Last edited:
Does anyone get the impression that Boz and Morrissey actually never talk? They don't even seem to be friends.

Does anyone get the impression that Boz and Morrissey actually never talk? They don't even seem to be friends.

Is it just your nature to just make claims out of your ass without any substantial evidence? The only time you see them together is onstage, which makes up the majority of time anyone sees Morrissey. How could they not "seem" to be friends when the only time you see them at all is when they're doing their jobs onstage together?

Is it just your nature to just make claims out of your ass without any substantial evidence? The only time you see them together is onstage, which makes up the majority of time anyone sees Morrissey. How could they not "seem" to be friends when the only time you see them at all is when they're doing their jobs onstage together?

can you actually post on a forum without being abusive towards someone? jesus, there's a name for people like you in this world and it's nothing to be proud of.

Morrissey and Boz never discuss each other in interviews. They never feature together in interviews. You very rarely see any of the band ever meet up or discuss about Morrissey at all. Everything is hush hush.

can you actually post on a forum without being abusive towards someone? jesus, there's a name for people like you in this world and it's nothing to be proud of.

Can you actually post on a forum having given logical thought to what you're saying before you do so? "Jesus," I couldn't give a blue f*** about what you think about me, as you obviously lack basic reasoning skills.

Morrissey and Boz never discuss each other in interviews. They never feature together in interviews. You very rarely see any of the band ever meet up.

Morrissey never discusses Boz in interviews because all interviewers ask him the same goddamned questions, none of which have anything remotely to do with the band or his writing partners beyond Johnny Marr. Boz literally JUST discussed Morrissey in a Hot Press interview - and the entire reason for that is because more people are interested in Boz's involvement with Morrissey than Boz's own solo career. They never feature in interviews together because they are not The Smiths. Morrissey is billed as a solo artist, and therefore, he is the spokesperson of "the band." You rarely see any of the band ever apart from onstage with Morrissey - except reports of Moz, Gustavo, and Jesse at the Cat & Fiddle a couple years back, a point which refutes your unfounded claim of no one ever seeing any of the members of the band together.
There's absolutely nothing mysterious about it. If you haven't realized by now that Morrissey is a very private individual and direct quotes from his collaborators over the years have described him as being difficult to get close to, then you clearly aren't particularly observant.
It's really not that difficult to think about things before you speak, champ.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom