"Brandon Flowers Bans His Kids From Listening To Morrissey's Songs Due To His Racist Views" - Aceshowbiz (April 18, 2020)

Brandon Flowers Bans His Kids From Listening To Morrissey's Songs Due To His Racist Views

Shoplifterromo sends the NME article indicating the original interview from The Times:

Shoplifterromo also sends the link:

Brandon Flowers Admits It’s ‘Difficult’ to Separate Morrissey’s Politics and Music - SPIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, I'm sure they have just sold out 9 stadiums in the UK and Ireland, whereas Morrissey could't sell out 2 arenas a few weeks ago?
So what? It doesn't matter really. Loving Moz isn't about him selling out stadiums. It is solely about the relevance of the music he makes.

So what? It doesn't matter really. Loving Moz isn't about him selling out stadiums. It is solely about the relevance of the music he makes.

I agree, but calling The Killers irrelevant as some posters on here have done doesn't make sense. They may be irrelevant to those posters but not to the wider world, as a hell of people buy their albums and go to their shows

Don’t you mean, I think he’s relating it to diversity where different groups demand rights based on their shared identity & he's dismissing it.
Along with her insight into "PR" Karen is also privy to Morrissey's unspoken thoughts. We're lucky to have her to tell us what to think on every issue.

I wonder of Brandon will ban his kids from listening to Bowie, cause of all the underage fan f***ing, Nazi imagery and the like??

Ziggy’s alright with the mormons...

:lbf:

I agree, but calling The Killers irrelevant as some posters on here have done doesn't make sense. They may be irrelevant to those posters but not to the wider world, as a hell of people buy their albums and go to their shows
I do think relevance is a different thing than sales, although the two usually have some connection. But Courtney Love was once one of the most relevant people in music, on the cover of every magazine and all over MTV but she never had the sales to back it up. I think Morrissey is far more relevant than Brandon Flowers because people that don't listen to either of them will be much more likely to recognize Morrissey's name and probably have some opinion about him.

I don't know The Killers, but I'm ok with people liking them. I have nothing against the fact that they are successful in some countries. What I think is that comparing Moz's actual status within the music industry to mass music bands is intellectually dishonest, to say the least.

I don't know The Killers, but I'm ok with people liking them. I have nothing against the fact that they are successful in some countries. What I think is that comparing Moz's actual status within the music industry to mass music bands is intellectually dishonest, to say the least.

Everyone has different opinions though. I suppose when you start a band, you never know where it's going to go. They can't help that people buy their music. When it come to status though what are you referring to? Morrissey has been around for twice as long as the Killers, so yes he has a longer track record but he's never had the following that the Killers have.

The Killers are considered one of the biggest rock bands of the 21st century,[3] and the most successful act to ever emerge from Nevada, selling more than 28 million albums.[4] They have performed in over 50 countries and on six continents, headlining venues such as Madison Square Garden, Wembley Stadium and Glastonbury Festival (2007 and 2019).

Everyone has different opinions though. I suppose when you start a band, you never know where it's going to go. They can't help that people buy their music. When it come to status though what are you referring to? Morrissey has been around for twice as long as the Killers, so yes he has a longer track record but he's never had the following that the Killers have.

The Killers are considered one of the biggest rock bands of the 21st century,[3] and the most successful act to ever emerge from Nevada, selling more than 28 million albums.[4] They have performed in over 50 countries and on six continents, headlining venues such as Madison Square Garden, Wembley Stadium and Glastonbury Festival (2007 and 2019).
I suppose that some of those fans are as rabid as Morrissey's too, but generally they seem like that kind of band that lots of people "like" but few really "love." Kind of like Foo Fighters, they manage to make music that is acceptable to a huge group of people but when Dave Grohl goes on Howard Stern Howard mostly wants to talk about Nirvana.
The Killers have a nice career and I'm happy for them but I don't think they're influencing people to any great degree.

Being a foreigner, to express myself in english and convey what I really think can be a challenge sometimes. Anyway, let me try again. I think Morrissey is a very special and particular kind of artist and person, and cannot be compared, in any level, to anybody else. Why that? Because he is a myth, and a phenomenon. During The Smiths, and beyond them. He is rare.

As you say, it's true that Morrissey has been around for a long time and never had the following that bands like The Killers have. However, we must not forget that marketing strategies and social media constant exposure play an important role in that outcome.

Being a foreigner, to express myself in english and convey what I really think can be a challenge sometimes. Anyway, let me try again. I think Morrissey is a very special and particular kind of artist and person, and cannot be compared, in any level, to anybody else. Why that? Because he is a myth, and a phenomenon. During The Smiths, and beyond them. He is rare.

As you say, it's true that Morrissey has been around for a long time and never had the following that bands like The Killers have. However, we must not forget that marketing strategies and social media constant exposure play an important role in that outcome.

Your English is very good and it refreshing that you say "I think" as that's your opinion, others will have a different opinion which is also good. I only really liked the Killers first album and only listened to that as someone told me they took their name from a New Order video and thought there may be some NO influence in their music (couldn't hear any) but I wouldn't say they are irrelevant.

I need to add something to my prevoius comment.
I think Morrissey has never been an artist for the masses. He's an artist for those, not so many, who can actually feel and apprecciate what he writes and sings. He a cult artist. So, he's isn't accessible to greater audiences.

Is that what you think bands exist for...to influence people?
The topic is their relevance, which would be related to how many people they influence, yes. For example, the Velvet Underground were hugely influential compared to their record sales. Many bands that were started around the same time had pop hits but are not being discussed today. This makes them more relevant.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom