Brett from Suede on Morrissey in Swedish podcast

Brett Anderson Hemma hos Strage:
https://www.acast.com/hemmahosstrage/brett-anderson-hemma-hos-strage
[22:30 in]

44543_brett_anderson.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is indeed undeniable that boring old man couplets such as "You're not alone when the world puts all the winter in you / Not alone, I'm there in the words that you use / You're never alone; your life is golden" pale when compared to such wordy, acute and youthful genius as:

Say daddy, who will protect us from the police?
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
My point was that he's never been a lyrical genius in any way and they did not make many songs to be remembered for. He was cool onstage until he started with that monkey arm pose and the fans abandonded them which was well documented by a swedish journo long ago.

Not that most here understand swedish but this is Strage's most well paid job as a popular culture expert on swedish TV4 morning news show.
He's got a very feminine way to him but is always interesting to listen to.

"Is God a man or a woman"?
Sadly no english subs.

Strage is 45 now but like most swedes still looks like a 25 year old indie kid.

I remember the debut album and buying it meant you were subjected to abuse for being gay even if you were not gay so I know what twelvy has been through.

LOL

Who knew this guy was still around? Trying to copy Bowie and not very good at it. Pretended to be gay and now he's hetero married with children. The whole thing was a fraud, a few good songs here and there, but all destined for the dustbin of musical history.

Brett is a really lovely example on how to grow gracefully, in every respect. After some artistically lean years in the beginning of the millennium, the last three Suede albums have been excellent and Coal Black Mornings is a truly beautiful book. Should he try his hand as a novelist, I'm sure the result would be better than List Of The Lost.

Groupies :lbf:

Boy, this site is apparently infested with Brett Anderson Suede groupies. I slipped one little comment in the wee hours disparaging him and the groupies hit it with thumbs downs and trolls in like less than 30 seconds. LOL. I didn't even know Brett Anderson was still alive. But I think it's funny how he pretended to be gay and now he's hetero-married with children. So it was all a gimmick. LOL

Boy, this site is apparently infested with Brett Anderson Suede groupies. I slipped one little comment in the wee hours disparaging him and the groupies hit it with thumbs downs and trolls in like less than 30 seconds. LOL. I didn't even know Brett Anderson was still alive. But I think it's funny how he pretended to be gay and now he's hetero-married with children. So it was all a gimmick. LOL
It is possible to be sexually curious and/or confused, you know. Especially when you're younger. It doesn't have to mean it was a gimmick. Just that he's decided he's comfortable where he is now. That can happen when you grow up.

It's a good thing that you're above such petty nonsense and managed to dislike only six of my posts before having to go and lie down, I suspect.

Went to see Suede on Friday at Hammersmith. They were fab as always.
The interviewer might be well informed, but he definitely had an agenda with the questions on Moz. Kudos to Brett for not going down that route.

I also saw them on Friday in Hammersmith, it was a great show although I would have personally have picked different songs for the encore.

Brett has always struck me as a class act. I admire him for taking the blame for forcing Bernard out of the band and for admitting the A New Morning album wasn't good enough.

The new album is excellent and deserves a greater audience.

Standing ovation!

New Suede fan here from the U.S. I had heard of them from Moz fans but never really pursued them. Recently I happened to stumble upon a few songs on You Tube from their new album. Just excellent. I am having trouble finding The Blue Hour in stores and Amazon is saying 3 weeks for the imported vinyl. In the meantime I have purchased their debut vinyl. Beautiful! I needed them years ago like I needed Moz. Love them! So excited for this discovery!

New Suede fan here from the U.S. I had heard of them from Moz fans but never really pursued them. Recently I happened to stumble upon a few songs on You Tube from their new album. Just excellent. I am having trouble finding The Blue Hour in stores and Amazon is saying 3 weeks for the imported vinyl. In the meantime I have purchased their debut vinyl. Beautiful! I needed them years ago like I needed Moz. Love them! So excited for this discovery!

Man, I wish I could be as excited about some new music as Sunbather!

Enjoy the journey! The Dog Man Star album is a fan and personal favorite. Coming Up is probably their most commercially successful album - but a departure from the first two (new guitarist). A New Morning, IMO, is an underappreciated gem. Everything from Bloodsports forward has been quite good.

Man, I wish I could be as excited about some new music as Sunbather!
With age we're not supposed to be excited about much. The system closes down slowly. Sometimes I wonder if the effort and time it took to follow it all was worth it. In some way it probably was as replacement for something else but I notice that those that made something of their life never had any idols in music and cannot even understand that kind of thing.
It's my life to wreck my own way.

Nice to see Mary Poppins son in Sweden, hope he finds his brother Alan Shearer.

Enjoy the journey! The Dog Man Star album is a fan and personal favorite. Coming Up is probably their most commercially successful album - but a departure from the first two (new guitarist). A New Morning, IMO, is an underappreciated gem. Everything from Bloodsports forward has been quite good.

I remember getting into them like a year after they broke up. Debut and sci fi lullabies which is a double b sides album are fantastic. Sci fi also has the song morrissey covered and it’s a nice one to start with as it has the early songs with the original guitarist and song writer who left in like 1995 and the early songs with second guitarist and new song writing partner as well as the bsides to each of the two phases debut albums. Also check out in time the tears which is an album Brett made with Bernard, the original suede guitarist, after suede went on hiatus. After all that maybe check out Brett’s solo stuff. If you do become a super fan you’ll probably like it but it is different sonically than suede but still has some similarities. Honestly I thought I heard a little bit of Brett’s solo stuff in his vocals on the blue hour

Hi lazy_sunbather, I agree with SuedeMoz, Dog Man Star is a stunning album and in my opinion, one of the top three albums every written. If you like their first album, you must also check out the b-sides from the singles off that album. As said above, most can found on the compilation Sci-Fi Lullabies. These b-sides are as good as the actual album.

I only feel in love with Suede in 2014, but now rate them as one of the greatest bands ever. Enjoy your journey of discovery.

A friend is mine is a huge suede fan but I found this interesting
He said on fb

'Brett is the opersite of M in some ways Some will use that against M but I think it's in his favor
Brett is of a very English middle class mindset. Suedes fan base is very white and middle class indie women etc.
It always has been.
All that talk of being working class in his book is very false.
Morrissey is very working class and that's the main kicking off point of difference add to that brett keeps his mouth shut in a very English way M never keeps his mouth shut in a very Irish way

Brett's book is highly praised among the guardian types, middle classes ex students who get hung up on technical ability rather than message. Bretts book is very well written but it could be about anyone The only thing that makes it brett is the story. It could have been written by anyone's hand

Morrisseys book is him in every comma and word Every winding sentence. That's what writing should be about.. Morrissey is a poet and brett is a uni essay writer.

The funny thing is the things M gets taken to task about are true of brett more than Moz in someways.
Bretts solo career was a disaster, morrisseys is a world wide success. Suede were brilliant during the BB years (x3 Lps) but clichéd after that. They have only recently found form again.
Suede never moved music forward or did anything original and Brett's writing was comic book. They were never subversive
The Smiths were a huge huge influence on music and Morrissey is considered one the great writers. Morrisseys was also quite the game changer and was subversive
Morrissey is largely considered one of the world's great pop starts, brett was struggling to even be considered great among the 90s lot.

Brett also takes himself much to seriously and makes great claims about his importance and none of it is true - for instance he didn't bring Englishness to music, he didn't bring new subject matter to music etc, though he claims he did

It's amusing that suede have played Israel on a number of occasions people say nothing. M plays it and the world goes mad.
As I say suedes audience are very white and middle class. The morrissey audience is quite varied (or was until recent years)

Morrissey could have easily gone the brett or Jarvis route but he had more about him, he's not that eagar to please or boring. Go to the Suede fan page it's embarrassing, old fat women in suede t-shirts. They look like cash in the attic contestants '

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom