Brighton Rock remake

Stanley the 2nd

Went to see the Brighton Rock remake at the cinema yesterday which has just come out in the UK. I wasn't really expecting too much as the reviews had been mixed but I must say that I really enjoyed the film. Not totally sure why it was set in the 1960's but that doesn't distract from the film too much. If you are in 2 minds to go, I'd say do it.

Tenuous Morrissey connections -

1. Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie and Cubitt are all characters in the Graham Greene book/novel and are all name checked in Now My Heart is Full. In the film Dallow is now a great big black guy. Seems to fit in with the whole mod vibe for some reason.

2. There is a superb Richard Hawley song played over the end credits. RH once auditioned for a place in Morrissey's band. It's the sort of some which Morrissey should play.

3. Some of the locations are filmed in London. There is a brief glimpse of the Betjeman Arms restaurant in Cloth Fair. Morrissey is a fan of Sir John.

Can't think of any other tenuous links for the time being! Thanks for reading.

Went to see the Brighton Rock remake at the cinema yesterday which has just come out in the UK. I wasn't really expecting too much as the reviews had been mixed but I must say that I really enjoyed the film. Not totally sure why it was set in the 1960's but that doesn't distract from the film too much. If you are in 2 minds to go, I'd say do it.

Tenuous Morrissey connections -

1. Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie and Cubitt are all characters in the Graham Greene book/novel and are all name checked in Now My Heart is Full. In the film Dallow is now a great big black guy. Seems to fit in with the whole mod vibe for some reason.

2. There is a superb Richard Hawley song played over the end credits. RH once auditioned for a place in Morrissey's band. It's the sort of some which Morrissey should play.

3. Some of the locations are filmed in London. There is a brief glimpse of the Betjeman Arms restaurant in Cloth Fair. Morrissey is a fan of Sir John.

Can't think of any other tenuous links for the time being! Thanks for reading.

Thank you Stan. I was thinking of going to see this. You just swung it.
More connections? Mod Pinkie used to be Ian Curtis of Joy Division; Morrissey thought Joy Division were crap ;)

More connections? Mod Pinkie used to be Ian Curtis of Joy Division; Morrissey thought Joy Division were crap ;)

Let's make a couple of things clear here...

1. Joy Division were a truly fantastic band, regardless of what Morrissey thinks or thought at the time
2. Any film that features 1960's mods is worth watching for that reason alone

Really sad that in Japan John Boulting's masterpiece hadn't been shown in cinema nor released on VHS / DVD.

They're going to watch this film first (in March), like watching Talented Mr Ripley without watching Rene Clement's Plein soleil. :(

"Tonight The Streets Are Ours by Richard Hawley is a masterpiece of a song. If Morrissey has heard it, I'm sure he would greatly admire it.

I wish they'd stop remaking everything.

Back
Top Bottom