"By The Time I get To Wherever I'm Going" - Lost Morrissey studio track posted by SER

L

But, g23, mortality was always an important subject of his lyrics and songs and from the early start of The Smiths til Low In Highschool it must have been one of his most important subjects and he even discussed it more than once in interviews, when he still gave them, that is.

It is possible to see it merely negative as so many “hard core fans” did. :rolleyes:
To say it is narcissistic and selfish and clearly from someone obsessed with his own life and death as if he isn’t capable of empathy with any other person.
I don’t see as such.

It has, more or less, become a universal issue and preoccupation and gives a great insight into the inner world of some one who is reflecting on mortality in a musical way. Espressing himself and people to some extent recognising that and appreciating it. I know, not everyone.
And I know many people don’t like or appreciate his recent songs or at least the songs from his last 3 albums.

I still like his music and love Low In Highschool. ;)
I was trying to say that the recurring theme of time recently is indicative of it. There are varying degrees of personal relativity to the passage of time. Yearning for the past and feeling the weight of years, feeling like it's dragging too slowly and you'll never get where you're wanting to go, slipping away too quickly, etc.

It's not the worst of the recent songs, but it's not the best. It's just too musically and lyrically scant for my tastes.

why do a lot of his songs end so abruptly now,why no fade out music,happened a few times in low in high school.

I've listened to this track several times a day since it appeared, and I'm still loving it. It's a great driving-on-a-sunny-day song (like Fatty, In the Future, All You Need is Me, Satan Rejected My Soul etc).

It reminds me a little of 'Julie in the weeds' which I love. Nice little ditty. Although it sounds like the vocal was done in one take, and Moz just went 'next'

L

But, g23, mortality was always an important subject of his lyrics and songs and from the early start of The Smiths til Low In Highschool it must have been one of his most important subjects and he even discussed it more than once in interviews, when he still gave them, that is.

It is possible to see it merely negative as so many “hard core fans” did. :rolleyes:
To say it is narcissistic and selfish and clearly from someone obsessed with his own life and death as if he isn’t capable of empathy with any other person.
I don’t see as such.

It has, more or less, become a universal issue and preoccupation and gives a great insight into the inner world of some one who is reflecting on mortality in a musical way. Espressing himself and people to some extent recognising that and appreciating it. I know, not everyone.
And I know many people don’t like or appreciate his recent songs or at least the songs from his last 3 albums.

I still like his music and love Low In Highschool. ;)

Loved Low In High School when it came out.
Just listened to it the other day and still love it.

I'm with you skinny.. This song blows. Along everything he has put out since Ringleader, and that one really had to grow on me. Quarry was the last of the creativity. I didn't even but world peace or high school or any of the singles. And I use to buy and collect EVERYTHING. It's all over for me...
lol. We will hear from you again.

thanks for posting this. are these lyrics official? i feel unable to hear "have you on the low", though it is an interesting take. i think the line was intentionally obfuscated. when you listen closely, you notice that it is sung differently each time. first time sounds a bit like "and have you, oh my lord!" and the last time like "and have you on the line/loin".
Lanterns, you used Obfuscate in a sentence! Impressive! Sorry I missed it till now!

i did, yes, my pleasure. thanks to you for using this serviceable but at the same time iridescent word in the other thread. i tend to lose track of all these threads, i have to say. somehow their titles all sound similar in a way, and i forget that i've once trod their paths.
Irregardless of title, most threads eventuate into the same querulous discussions. Clearly some seek to be mollycoddled while others just bloviate. Your posts are never parlous and I look forward to them.

Now that the topic "words" has come out, I dare to express my curiosity. I wonder if "wherever I'm going" makes reference to a geographical place, a state of mind, a personal situation or something else. I like this song because anxiety about how short is life is a universal concern and its music is very nice.

Now that the topic "words" has come out, I dare to express my curiosity. I wonder if "wherever I'm going" makes reference to a geographical place, a state of mind, a personal situation or something else. I like this song because anxiety about how short is life is a universal concern and its music is very nice.
interesting question, i first thought it to be a geographical location, like someone who (could that be) is travelling a lot and then all these places s/he visits become meaningless, comparable to the "home is a ?" theme. the other two options sound plausible too. i eventually came to the conclusion that the "wherever i'm going" is death: "
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil
Must give us pause. There’s the respect
That makes calamity of so long life.

so that person knows life is passing by quickly. "by the time.... there will be no time" indicates that if death is finally there, there won't be any more time to meet someone. i could be wrong here though.
the other option is one of rejection, "by the time ... there will be no time" meaning that this person bears a grudge against someone and does not even hold out the prospect of seeing this person.

the other option is one of rejection, "by the time ... there will be no time" meaning that this person bears a grudge against someone and does not even hold out the prospect of seeing this person.

...Again. An entirely valid interpretation. :thumb: Nice posts, Lanterns.

thanks for posting this. are these lyrics official? i feel unable to hear "have you on the low", though it is an interesting take. i think the line was intentionally obfuscated. when you listen closely, you notice that it is sung differently each time. first time sounds a bit like "and have you, oh my lord!" and the last time like "and have you on the line/loin".

It’s LAWN

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom