"California Son" enters at #4 in UK album charts; #1 in UK vinyl album charts

https://www.officialcharts.com/char...number-1-on-the-official-albums-chart__26457/

Excerpt:
Morrissey claims this week’s highest new entry with his covers album California Son at Number 4, his 14th Top 10 album as a solo artist.

The Motion Picture Cast Recording of Elton John biopic Rocketman makes a Top 5 debut at Number 5, just ahead of Elton’s Diamonds greatest hits album, which leaps nine spots to Number 6. The Amazons’ second album Future Dust becomes their second Top 10 effort, debuting at Number 9.

All 14 of them:
Viva Hate: 1
Bona Drag: 9
Kill Uncle: 8
Your Arsenal: 4
Vauxhall: 1
Southpaw: 4
Maladjusted: 8
Quarry: 2
Ringleader: 1
Greatest Hits: 5
Refusal: 3
World Peace: 2
Low in High School: 5
California Son: 4

So the same position as Your Arsenal and Southpaw Grammar, not bad at all.

UPDATE 9:50AM PT:

Posted by Alexi:

Number 1 in the vinyl charts

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/vinyl-albums-chart/

Added by Thewlis:

Additional info from Music Week:

"Morrissey’s first album release as a sexagenarian (he was 60 on 22 May) is his 12th solo studio set and first ever covers album, California Son, which debuts at No.4 (8,340 sales). It comprises entirely of remakes of songs written and originally recorded by North American (US and Canadian) acts between 1964 and 1975. Morrissey’s fanbase being what it is, it is no surprise that the album performs poorly on sales-equivalent streams (311 units) but very well physically, where its 7,132 sales include 1,951 on vinyl, in which format chart it debuts at No.1.

All of Morrissey’s solo studio albums have made the Top 10, a run that started in 1988 when his first post-Smiths release, Viva Hate debuted at No.1, becoming the first of his three No.1 solo albums. Including his Smiths’ albums, Morrissey has had 24 Top 10 albums, and reached No.1 five times."

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.officialcharts.com/char...number-1-on-the-official-albums-chart__26457/

Excerpt:
Morrissey claims this week’s highest new entry with his covers album California Son at Number 4, his 14th Top 10 album as a solo artist.

The Motion Picture Cast Recording of Elton John biopic Rocketman makes a Top 5 debut at Number 5, just ahead of Elton’s Diamonds greatest hits album, which leaps nine spots to Number 6. The Amazons’ second album Future Dust becomes their second Top 10 effort, debuting at Number 9.

All 14 of them:
Viva Hate: 1
Bona Drag: 9
Kill Uncle: 8
Your Arsenal: 4
Vauxhall: 1
Southpaw: 4
Maladjusted: 8
Quarry: 2
Ringleader: 1
Greatest Hits: 5
Refusal: 3
World Peace: 2
Low in High School: 5
California Son: 4

Thanks, Thewlis!

Number 4 after everything the f***ERS have thrown at Morrissey is phenomenal!

Just look at that f***ing list of records! Look at them!

DD77406E-3F7C-4CAF-8821-3458E31325C7.jpeg
Number 1 in the vinyl charts

Capaldi's no.1 album title: "Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent" a briliant description of Moz nowadays

lowest sales figures out of all his 14 Top 10 albums, but, let’s not fixate on that.

#4 whoop whoop :ahhh::bow:

This album is the same as Your Arsenal & Southpaw, and better than Maladjusted.

lowest sales figures out of all his 14 Top 10 albums, but, let’s not fixate on that.

#4 whoop whoop :ahhh::bow:

This album is the same as Your Arsenal & Southpaw, and better than Maladjusted.
Better chart entry than Low in high school and Kill Uncle too. Not bad for a covers album from a 60 year old bigot, huh?

It’s amazing, I can’t believe he done so well. Viva Moz :rolleyes:

Can I get my upvote now huh huh, I’m sick of being trolled :tears:
What can I serve you first, some crow or humble pie?
You and Skinny should listen to "All You Need Is Me" and "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" on repeat. The lyrics are very applicable to you two.

What can I serve you first, some crow or humble pie?
You and Skinny should listen to "All You Need Is Me" and "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" on repeat. The lyrics are very applicable to you two.

How have I been humbled when I said anything but #2 was a flop lol, and it’s his worst selling solo record ever! Ever! Let that sink in. I don’t even care for the charts, I care for good music. Doesn’t matter if this is #1 or #41, I still don’t like. I’m glad it’s made you happy tho :thumb:

NUMBER 4 !!!

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Even in Soviet Britain .....

THE MAN IS UNSTOPPABLE !

:cool:

How have I been humbled when I said anything but #2 was a flop lol, and it’s his worst selling solo record ever! Ever! Let that sink in. I don’t even care for the charts, I care for good music. Doesn’t matter if this is #1 or #41, I still don’t like. I’m glad it’s made you happy tho :thumb:

Honestly? You really don't like it? Any of it?

I mean, I'd rather an album of Morrissey originals, who wouldn't? And for that reason, it goes to the bottom of my list of Morrissey albums. But I find it hard to believe that you don't like Days of Decision.

So according to that philosophy...
Kill Uncle
Bona Drag
Your Arsenal
Southpaw Grammar
Malajusted
Years Of Refusal
Low In High School
Were all flops?
Worst selling? It's not even his original material, it's a fun gimmick album released in a climate of poor album sales, terrible press reviews and articles, barely any radio or TV exposure, allegations of racism and fascism, an artist in his twilight years... I mean, taking all that into consideration then it's nothing short of a miracle it reached the top 40. Top 5 album from any artist not called Queen or Micheal Jackson is a triumph.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom