"California Son" review in Advertiser.ie

Album review: Morrissey - California Son - Advertiser.ie
by Kernan Andrews

Excerpt:
SUPPORTING BREXIT and UKIP, and making sympathetic comments about far-right figures have left Morrissey fans disgusted, in despair, and in denial - often, with long term fans like myself, feeling all three at once.

So is including two 1960s protest songs on his new covers album about making amends or an act of cynical irony?....

Last edited by a moderator:
From the article: "Die-hards like myself will find much to enjoy here."

That is all that needs to be said.

Also, just in case some of you have forgotten, California Son entered the UK album chart at Number 4. It entered the vinyl chart at Number 1.

Yes, a splendid review for an excellent album.

‘So is including two 1960s protest songs on his new covers album about making amends or an act of cynical irony? One is Bob Dylan's 'Only A Pawn In Their Game', a song with disturbingly renewed relevance: "The South politician preaches to the poor white man/'You've got more than the blacks, don't complain!/You're better than them, you've been born with white skin' he exclaims/and the Negro's name, is used, it is plain, for the politician's gain, as he rises to fame."

It needs conviction to deliver, and Morrissey does not disappoint, while the martial rhythms and subtle Cajun backing build in intensity, giving the song power and momentum. The second cover is Phil Ochs' 'Days Of Decision', again newly relevant, and we can only hope this song signals a political re-think by Mozzer.

After that, the album is often fun and upbeat: 'Wedding Bell Blues' is sunny, swinging, soul pop, and the closest thing to an openly gay love song the man has yet delivered; 'Lady Willpower' revels in its showbizzy melodrama; while 'Morning Starship' is how any future band on an intergalactic cruiser should sound. On the darker side, Mozzer's take on Tim Hardin's 'Song for Lenny' is a heartbreaking, vulnerable, Gothic lament, and a true highlight.

Die-hards like myself will find much to enjoy here. Everyone else will withhold opinion until Morrissey's next political pronouncement to see if he has really changed or not.’

Yes, a splendid review for an excellent album.

‘So is including two 1960s protest songs on his new covers album about making amends or an act of cynical irony? One is Bob Dylan's 'Only A Pawn In Their Game', a song with disturbingly renewed relevance: "The South politician preaches to the poor white man/'You've got more than the blacks, don't complain!/You're better than them, you've been born with white skin' he exclaims/and the Negro's name, is used, it is plain, for the politician's gain, as he rises to fame."

It needs conviction to deliver, and Morrissey does not disappoint, while the martial rhythms and subtle Cajun backing build in intensity, giving the song power and momentum. The second cover is Phil Ochs' 'Days Of Decision', again newly relevant, and we can only hope this song signals a political re-think by Mozzer.

After that, the album is often fun and upbeat: 'Wedding Bell Blues' is sunny, swinging, soul pop, and the closest thing to an openly gay love song the man has yet delivered; 'Lady Willpower' revels in its showbizzy melodrama; while 'Morning Starship' is how any future band on an intergalactic cruiser should sound. On the darker side, Mozzer's take on Tim Hardin's 'Song for Lenny' is a heartbreaking, vulnerable, Gothic lament, and a true highlight.

Die-hards like myself will find much to enjoy here. Everyone else will withhold opinion until Morrissey's next political pronouncement to see if he has really changed or not.’

Is this really a ‘splendid review’?

Of course it does point out some good things, at the same time the reviewer is wondering if Morrissey is going to change or not, and that so called ‘change’ will be based on his next political pronouncement.

Would be nice, but I don’t think anyone will be satisfied with his next political pronouncement.
It seems he likes the figure Anne Marie Waters and For Britain’s stance on animal rights issues and that’s good enough for him while he ignores all else that is wrong with this political party, is he aware? just misinformed? or can’t be bothered to wonder why this party gets so much hate?

Anyway, he’s never really clear in his statements, especially if one is to judge his comments while keeping in mind the person that Morrissey was and still is, a true contrarian, it makes it impossible (at this point) to come to a fair conclusion and understanding on where the man really stands.

Moz doesn't want to see his country become foreign and unrecognizable - which are views in line with 99% of the world's population.

It is only in the West that some people see this view as a crime. Around the world it is perfectly natural. Who wants their beloved nation to change for the worse?

I can assure you, he will never retract this opinion or apologize for it.

Christ alive, all this talk about Morrissey's political views is so f***ing boring. Whether it be him sprouting them in interviews or people raging like babies online about them. Whether I agree or disagree with them feels irrelevant - the main question is, do I still enjoy the music? The answer is yes, so that's all that matters. If the answer to that is no, then, go find something else? And if the music is irrelevant and all you care about is the political stuff then, f*** ... go follow something more insightful and important than Morrissey's political views .. maybe an actual politician or something. Morrissey is just a dude with opinions. He has very little actual influence. Why people care so much about it is staggering and I can only assume that half of it, from this site at least, has nothing to do with the actual views themselves. They're just a vehicle to stick the boot in over old grudges. If it was the issues themselves people had a problem with then they'd surely be spending all their time rallying against people with similar views to Morrissey who actually hold influence. But they're not ... they're here on Morrissey-solo because there are old grudges to be had and its just sad.

Is this really a ‘splendid review’?

Of course it does point out some good things, at the same time the reviewer is wondering if Morrissey is going to change or not, and that so called ‘change’ will be based on his next political pronouncement.

Would be nice, but I don’t think anyone will be satisfied with his next political pronouncement.
It seems he likes the figure Anne Marie Waters and For Britain’s stance on animal rights issues and that’s good enough for him while he ignores all else that is wrong with this political party, is he aware? just misinformed? or can’t be bothered to wonder why this party gets so much hate?

Anyway, he’s never really clear in his statements, especially if one is to judge his comments while keeping in mind the person that Morrissey was and still is, a true contrarian, it makes it impossible (at this point) to come to a fair conclusion and understanding on where the man really stands.
Splendid in the sense that the reviewer certainly doesn’t agree with Moz’ political views but still has an open mind reviewing the music on the album.
Something which seems obvious but in this day and age sadly is not.

Christ alive, all this talk about Morrissey's political views is so f***ing boring. Whether it be him sprouting them in interviews or people raging like babies online about them. Whether I agree or disagree with them feels irrelevant - the main question is, do I still enjoy the music? The answer is yes, so that's all that matters. If the answer to that is no, then, go find something else? And if the music is irrelevant and all you care about is the political stuff then, f*** ... go follow something more insightful and important than Morrissey's political views .. maybe an actual politician or something. Morrissey is just a dude with opinions. He has very little actual influence. Why people care so much about it is staggering and I can only assume that half of it, from this site at least, has nothing to do with the actual views themselves. They're just a vehicle to stick the boot in over old grudges. If it was the issues themselves people had a problem with then they'd surely be spending all their time rallying against people with similar views to Morrissey who actually hold influence. But they're not ... they're here on Morrissey-solo because there are old grudges to be had and its just sad.

Well said!

Morrissey's opinions and observations have always been a big part of his appeal. He has always offered so much more than just his music.

Most of his fans are interested in the man and his music - equally. However, I agree it's silly to kick up a fuss about his opinions if you happen to disagree with them. Other people's views should be respected. Too many people equate a natural love of your country with a hatred for others, which of course is an error. It is natural to love and be proud of your nation and to not want greedy global moneymen to change it for their own ends. Change is not always good or positive.

Last edited:
Splendid in the sense that the reviewer certainly doesn’t agree with Moz’ political views but still has an open mind reviewing the music on the album.
Something which seems obvious but in this day and age sadly is not.
Cos the reviewer is Irish and the Independent is Irish. Cos the Irish are smart, reasonably well balanced (unless intoxicated), friendly, literate, and highly unlikely to invade other countries or support ego maniacal murderous maladjusted minge mongs like the yUK and Boris Wankson.

Morrissey's opinions and observations have always been a big part of his appeal. He has always offered so much more than just his music.

Most of his fans are interested in the man and his music. However, I agree it's silly to kick up a fuss about his opinions if you happen to disagree with them. Other people's views should be respected. Too many people equate a natural love of your country with a hatred for others, which of course is an error. It is natural to love and be proud of your nation and to not want greedy global moneymen to change it for their own ends. Change is not always good or positive.

You can be interested in them, sure ... but they seem to be the only thing that people are fixated on. And if the fixation results in nothing but people hating what they see or hear or read all the time, then I don't get why they cling on when they also express no love for the music either. It really just feels like either trolling for the sake of it, or ulterior motives.

You can be interested in them, sure ... but they seem to be the only thing that people are fixated on. And if the fixation results in nothing but people hating what they see or hear or read all the time, then I don't get why they cling on when they also express no love for the music either. It really just feels like either trolling for the sake of it, or ulterior motives.
I'm in total agreement with you. It's baffling.

I'm in total agreement with you. It's baffling.

:thumbsup:

f***ing A man , totally.
I emailed a friend- Moorissey, although I'm not sure he knows he's called that. LOL.
He said he thought its Moz himself who wants to keep this conversation going. Which is insane to me , why would he want all this BS ? Then he said this, I still think its an insane but the more I think on it, the more I think maybe he has a point but why would anyone want to do this? Maybe Moorissey is on the crack. LOL

" Well, the PR for his last LP was ruined by his For Britain , German interview stuff. What followed was the Dave Hazlem (Guardian influenced, Dave hangs around with that lot and his book was serialized in The G just months before ) "Protest" . Obviously he knew wearing a For Britain badge would cause maximum "outrage " in these hysterical times.
He would have also known to mention his support for Ukip and Nigel Farage, in the past, would be a toxic wind up, especially based on the media's past witch hunts of him.
Thus, the only answer is he wants this or at least a part of him does.
He wants to be exiled (professionally) , Its all very Catholic and ties in with his love of Oscar Wilde . Racism is the modern outrage, whereas once it was sexuality.
If my theory is correct, its a genius, if risky, move..As he was starting to become cozy and harmless . He was "veering cliff wards " and this Cliff was Clif Richards.
He was now so safe light pop stars were name checking him , he had his own day in LA and it was all a bit "knitted Morrissey" . Thus, a resharpening of rounded edges was needed.
Of course, the trouble is Moz also wants Ed Sheeran like record sales , thus as always, he is his own conflict of interest. M has always wanted to be a Mark E Smith spirit with David Bowie fame and success. "

f***ing A man , totally.
I emailed a friend- Moorissey, although I'm not sure he knows he's called that. LOL.
He said he thought its Moz himself who wants to keep this conversation going. Which is insane to me , why would he want all this BS ? Then he said this, I still think its an insane but the more I think on it, the more I think maybe he has a point but why would anyone want to do this? Maybe Moorissey is on the crack. LOL

" Well, the PR for his last LP was ruined by his For Britain , German interview stuff. What followed was the Dave Hazlem (Guardian influenced, Dave hangs around with that lot and his book was serialized in The G just months before ) "Protest" . Obviously he knew wearing a For Britain badge would cause maximum "outrage " in these hysterical times.
He would have also known to mention his support for Ukip and Nigel Farage, in the past, would be a toxic wind up, especially based on the media's past witch hunts of him.
Thus, the only answer is he wants this or at least a part of him does.
He wants to be exiled (professionally) , Its all very Catholic and ties in with his love of Oscar Wilde . Racism is the modern outrage, whereas once it was sexuality.
If my theory is correct, its a genius, if risky, move..As he was starting to become cozy and harmless . He was "veering cliff wards " and this Cliff was Clif Richards.
He was now so safe light pop stars were name checking him , he had his own day in LA and it was all a bit "knitted Morrissey" . Thus, a resharpening of rounded edges was needed.
Of course, the trouble is Moz also wants Ed Sheeran like record sales , thus as always, he is his own conflict of interest. M has always wanted to be a Mark E Smith spirit with David Bowie fame and success. "

I don't know if I agree,
Then again Morrissey is crazy, I expect it depends what meds he's on.

As for AM. I think he does know some are calling him Moorissey. I think he found out about two gay guys from America putting his pics on their Morrissey page . He has deleted loads from his FB page in the last two weeks, anyway .

Cos the reviewer is Irish and the Independent is Irish. Cos the Irish are smart, reasonably well balanced (unless intoxicated), friendly, literate, and highly unlikely to invade other countries or support ego maniacal murderous maladjusted minge mongs like the yUK and Boris Wankson.

They weren't so friendly in Northern Island in the 70's and 80's. Every country has their dark side.

This ladies partner doesn't think they are friendly and well balanced. There is still a very dark side to Ireland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47985469

Ok, let’s put politics to one side just for a moment and talk about the music. Now Morrissey set an extremely high bar for himself both with The Smiths and for a good ten years after. I will humbly admit to my devoteeism at the altar of Moz. Yet the musical output over the last three albums have been distinctly sub par. There are indeed nuggets of brilliance but they are becoming fewer and farther between. And as so, our expectations seem to be becoming lower as the albums continue. There are ‘B’ sides from maladjusted( I’m thinking lost and this is not your country ) that would be regaled as a return to form now. This is how low the bar has been set from my beloved Morrissey now and I can’t see that bar being raised in the near future

Tags
california son info california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom