California Son review in Rolling Stone by Kory Grow (3.5/5 stars)

A mostly positive review in RS, by Kory Grow:

Morrissey’s Covers LP ‘California Son’ Shows Off His Golden Voice, Perplexing Politics (3.5 / 5 stars) - Rolling Stone
‘California Son’ features songs by Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Buffy Sainte-Marie. But what is Moz trying to say?

Extract:

“Suffer the Little Children,” a quivering, stuttering Buffy Sainte-Marie folk ballad, now sounds like a grand, Broadway number with hand claps and swaggering brass that comes off all the more over-the-top when Moz sings, “The Devil keeps his nails clean/Well, did you think he was a boogieman?” And his rendition of Roy Orbison’s challenging “It’s Over” is masterful, as he’s a rare rock singer his age who has such a range (and it should be noted that Moz is now eight years older than Orbison was at the time of his death.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, all the reasonable reviews come from the US. Variety and this one especially.
Another interesting extract: He had agreed to answer some questions from Rolling Stone prior to the album’s release but his representative declined to send him any questions about his political view, so we canceled the interview.

Good to see a more balanced review. Since when were 'journalists' unable to separate artist from art? When I read a review of a film or book I don't expect or want to see a review about the director or author. Ok they get a mention but the review should be primarily about the item being reviewed. Moz always gets a raw deal. I suspect it's partly because they don't understand any music that isn't Bin Jovi or Take Twat.

Good to see a more balanced review. Since when were 'journalists' unable to separate artist from art? When I read a review of a film or book I don't expect or want to see a review about the director or author. Ok they get a mention but the review should be primarily about the item being reviewed. Moz always gets a raw deal. I suspect it's partly because they don't understand any music that isn't Bin Jovi or Take Twat.[/QEXACTLY...SPOT ON.

Seems they actually listened to the record and reviewed it !

:clap:

Though describing Morrissey’s political views with the two words ‘perplexing politics’ sums it up well and is much closer to the truth, especially when compared to the conclusions people have been falsely jumping to.

:cool:

Tags
california son info california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom