"California Son" reviews in Salford Star (4/5 stars), Daily Mail (2/5 stars)

CAN MORRISSEY ESCAPE POLITICAL FALL-OUT WITH NEW ALBUM? - Salford Star
By Ian Leslie
Four out Five Salford Stars ****
Star date: 19th May 2019

DOES MORRISSEY STILL HAVE ANY CRED LEFT AT ALL?

Morrissey, who once had his photo taken outside Salford Lads Club, has a new album out called California Son, which itself is ironic considering his moronic right wing outbursts of late. Here, Ian Leslie reviews the tracks and ponders whether the Trafford singer and American immigrant can overcome 'commercial suicide'...

California Son review by Tim De Lisle (2 of 5 stars) - Daily Mail. Scan of print review posted by Alexi below.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weakest of gruel for Sunday dinner. Ó dear.
Noone exalted the Salford Star which gave him a fair review, and 4 out of 5 stars for the album.

He also avoided mentioning if he thinks this is a good example of writing because he knows it is not and does not want to admit it. I who am a fan didn’t even click on the thread with the other positive review but this doesn’t fit into his example so....

This Mail "review" is completely poor.
You don't have to be on any side of the love / hate team to see crappy journalism for what it is.
He takes a shot at Autobiography in a record review (seemingly forgetting how successful it was) and the rest isn't even close to a reasoned assessment.
The last sentence is just ridiculous.
A 60 yr old man releasing a covers album (because he can and wants to) has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with playing a 'truculent teenager' - the only thing tennager-like is the mentality of the writer (subpar 6th former at that).
Objectivity is obviously a thing of the past.
Regards,
FWD.

You are totally right. Some self called critics intend to destroy the beauty other people make just because they have a different outlook on reality. That's a huge lack of ethics in the exercise of their métier. If they can't be minimally just with the artist they should refrain from reviewing the art. That abstention would be honorable, even more if they dared to say it.

I take it you didn't like WPINOB or LIHS? "
The excellent World Peace is None of Your Business was improved upon on with the release of (the ridiculously underrated) Low in High School.”

This made me laugh so hard I peed in my pants a little.[

The Star review likes the music, but thinks that Moz's opinions are at odds with his fans. Are there fans that agree with M?

The Star review likes the music, but thinks that Moz's opinions are at odds with his fans. Are there fans that agree with M?
There are many people who agree with him who were previously not fans, but are now since his support of FB. It's evident in the comment sections of the tabloids - the Mail for example had a faux-shocked headline the other day about Moz supporting a far right party (yeah right, they're centrist actually) and many, many people aired their admiration for a star having the temerity to kick against the establishment and frankly not give a f***. Our Moz does and says whatever he likes, which is refreshing in an age of Eton-educated 'indie' bands and CGI pop singers.

Last edited:

Oh yes the Salford Star the 13th highest readership in Lancashire local papers just above Morecambe Metro and Lytham St Anne's Chronicle...

Exactly What he said....
Smacker wrote
at 18:26:21 on 19 May 2019, responding to review...
Nice balanced review and you managed to avoid the faux hysteria of most of the things I read about Moz these days. I don't care for his political party choice, but I don't see him as a right wing fascist either. He has so many contradictions. Great singer still, something of a legend. I always feel that people can't forgive him for not being the young, quiffed, fey bloke of the 80s and 90s anymore. He's also entitled to his views and I am also entitled not to agree with them, but still enjoy his music.

There are many people who agree with him who were previously not fans, but are now since his support of FB. It's evident in the comment sections of the tabloids - the Mail for example had a faux-shocked headline the other day about Moz supporting a far right party (yeah right, they're centrist actually) and many, many people aired their admiration for a star having the temerity to kick against the establishment and frankly not give a f***. Our Moz does and says whatever he likes, which is refreshing in an age of Eton-educated 'indie' bands and CGI pop singers.

Will they buy the album though?

Eh for me it’s complicated. He’s not super specific or detailed about a lot of his opinions, people just read into a lot of the somewhat cryptic stuff he says, so that makes it harder. I agree with his opinion on immigration from like 2002 where he said mass immigration is a problem and that people have a right to feel uneasy about it but also said that the people come from such difficult places that it’s impossible not to feel for them. I to am conflicted much like everyone else. People keep saying racism but it’s really the culture and religion aspect he reacts to. Racism and racists think that something biological is the cause which I don’t think applies in morrisseys case. He thinks that religion and culture is the issue and it’s incompatibility with whatever place is taking people in and that mostly the poor and average people will bare the brunt of the negative consequences which isn’t necessarily untrue. I don’t wanna live in Iran or Saudi Arabia and think a lot of the values there are not great and to some extent the people there support those values. Not everything is equal and free from judgement including culture

Exactly What he said....
Smacker wrote
at 18:26:21 on 19 May 2019, responding to review...
Nice balanced review and you managed to avoid the faux hysteria of most of the things I read about Moz these days. I don't care for his political party choice, but I don't see him as a right wing fascist either. He has so many contradictions. Great singer still, something of a legend. I always feel that people can't forgive him for not being the young, quiffed, fey bloke of the 80s and 90s anymore. He's also entitled to his views and I am also entitled not to agree with them, but still enjoy his music.

I know. The idea of calling him a nazi is disrespectful to the people who actually suffered from real violent fascists. It demeans there pain and sacrifice. Those kind of accusations are more about vanity and virtues signaling. Someone once said here what animals are actually saved by morrisseys stance. That it’s all about him but this is the same. They don’t care about stopping anything and aren’t doing anything. It’s just something used to bash Morrissey

Do you think it will sell more than LIHS?
Definitely. Whereas only Moz's true fans (who always buy his releases) bought that one, this will have a more diffuse appeal.

He's got a lot of admirers. Famous people are never very admirable - they exist in their own untouchable bubbles. They rarely do or say anything that your average man on the street can relate to - whereas Morrissey, despite accusations of egotism or diva-ism, still seems grounded in the blunt everyday reality of a rainy Northern street.

It's an unusual appeal. He has a strong emotional intelligence and is very perceptive at reading the mood of his country. I've noticed this time and again. He's like the last true working class hero of his generation. In this way there's a similarity to London boy Johnny Rotten. You could say Moz is a true eccentric: contrary, stubborn, old-fashioned to the last - and Brits love their eccentrics. But he's also bang on the ball also. If you've got the appeal, charisma and sense of mystique like Moz has - and the ability to always surprise (and therefore effectuate headlines) - you'll always sell.

Oh yes the Salford Star the 13th highest readership in Lancashire local papers just above Morecambe Metro and Lytham St Anne's Chronicle...
Morrissey's a northern lad from Salford so yes it does matter.

we will find out soon enough if its sold well or not.anything over twenty thousand for a covers album should be considered a success.

Maybe it's because you all live on a tiny ass island, the county I live in is bigger than your country. But the UK is a bit sick in the head. You all have island fever. How. Why. What is the purpose of harping on a musician like morrissey over and over and over again. Your whole country needs to be on Dr Phil. Really? 2 stars from the daily mail?

You all need to redneck up a bit and go down to a honky tonk relax a bit.
This song is life

The reason we want to be an island is so we don’t have to deal with f***ing paupers like you, now go suck your mothers cock

Tags
california son info california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom