"California Son" slips down to number 33 in second week on the UK Official Albums Chart

Official Albums Chart Top 100

Not too bad, it'll no doubt be out of the top 40 next week.
Screenshot_20190607-231329_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The top 50 physical album sales in the USA have been published for the second week of California Son's release and it has not made the top 50 albums. Last week it placed at #7 on this list with just over 5,000 copies sold which resulted in a debut on the overall Billboard 200 of #95.

If #7 on the album chart last week translated to an overall #95 placing, not being in the top 50 album sales at all will mean California Son is set to exit the top 100 and maybe even the Billboard 200 completely in its second week.

You can see the top 50 selling albums of this week here:
http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

This chart will update again next week so if you are looking at the link in the future, you will have the current chart in front of you.

Nobody really cares about covers albums. Period. It baffles me as to why Morrissey thought this was a good idea.

B-Sides? Sure, within reason. Live in concert? Sure, maybe one interesting cover per show, as has been his way all along. A whole album? Of mostly questionable choices? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Yet there are people on here ratings these songs an 8, 9, 10 out of 10! Completely incomprehensible.

Surely I can’t be alone in this overall assessment.

Nobody really cares about covers albums. Period. It baffles me as to why Morrissey thought this was a good idea.

B-Sides? Sure, within reason. Live in concert? Sure, maybe one interesting cover per show, as has been his way all along. A whole album? Of mostly questionable choices? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Yet there are people on here ratings these songs an 8, 9, 10 out of 10! Completely incomprehensible.

You are definitely not. I have reserved my comments about this album since the first songs leaked out, and what I keep thinking is what a missed opportunity.

Songs like Wedding Bell Blues is one of a number of songs that just don't capture the Morrissey aesthetic. He obviously chose these songs for a reason, but I wish he would have given more consideration to how the lyrical impact of his wonderful voice and phrasing is equally if not more important than the music itself.

The great band of his earlier solo years has been disbanded so all that is left is his voice and his ability to connect the lyrics of a song to the listener. This en-devour just missed the mark for me.

Too many memories of his earlier masterwork perhaps, but that is both the blessing and the curse of being exposed to his greatness at such a tender age.

You are definitely not. I have reserved my comments about this album since the first songs leaked out, and what I keep thinking is what a missed opportunity.

Songs like Wedding Bell Blues is one of a number of songs that just don't capture the Morrissey aesthetic. He obviously chose these songs for a reason, but I wish he would have given more consideration to how the lyrical impact of his wonderful voice and phrasing is equally if not more important than the music itself.

The great band of his earlier solo years has been disbanded so all that is left is his voice and his ability to connect the lyrics of a song to the listener. This en-devour just missed the mark for me.

Too many memories of his earlier masterwork perhaps, but that is both the blessing and the curse of being exposed to his greatness at such a tender age.

:rolleyes:
We were eagerly awaiting for your grammatically challenged review and you did NOT disappoint.o_O

'EN-DEVOUR'!!!!!!!!! WtF!!??????
you chomp on entities???:squiffy:

You were exposed to Moz at a tender age????o_O
Moz is not 800 years old FFS:crazy:

I beg to differ. California Son is his best album since Vauxhall and I. There are some stunningly beautiful songs on the album, and his voice is fantastic. I accept that there are one or two tracks that isn’t quite up to it, but that shouldn’t detract from the rest.

Years of Refusal is the true stinker in his catalogue. Apart from «Paris», it is an appalling tuneless mess from start to finish.

I beg to differ. California Son is his best album since Vauxhall and I. There are some stunningly beautiful songs on the album, and his voice is fantastic. I accept that there are one or two tracks that isn’t quite up to it, but that shouldn’t detract from the rest.

Years of Refusal is the true stinker in his catalogue. Apart from «Paris», it is an appalling tuneless mess from start to finish.

Totally agree. YoR was a turkey. LIHS was ok with one or two standout tracks. But California Son is a true ray of sunshine in the Moz discography. I love it.

I can understand the idea that some people simply believe that covers albums are a bad idea. However, a huge, huge number of legacy artists have made them (Bowie, Brian Wilson, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, Paul McCartney etc.) so it's not exactly a surprise that Morrissey has made one as well.

If people can look at it with an open mind, I'm not sure how much more they could realistically expect from a covers album. Morrissey sings well, the songs themselves are strong, the versions are often significantly different from the originals and Morrissey has seemingly structured it to kind of resemble an album of his originals. That's not to say that it's perfect, but it succeeds on its own merits.

I would also say that I can't agree with those who romanticize the ability of Morrissey's past band members during his solo career. Because the collaborators that Morrissey has worked with since The Smiths split have been criticized from the very beginning.

I can understand the idea that some people simply believe that covers albums are a bad idea. However, a huge, huge number of legacy artists have made them (Bowie, Brian Wilson, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, Paul McCartney etc.) so it's not exactly a surprise that Morrissey has made one as well.

If people can look at it with an open mind, I'm not sure how much more they could realistically expect from a covers album. Morrissey sings well, the songs themselves are strong, the versions are often significantly different from the originals and Morrissey has seemingly structured it to kind of resemble an album of his originals. That's not to say that it's perfect, but it succeeds on its own merits.

I would also say that I can't agree with those who romanticize the ability of Morrissey's past band members during his solo career. Because the collaborators that Morrissey has worked with since The Smiths split have been criticized from the very beginning.

The proof’s in the pudding, there’s no romanticising going on. There’s just old good albums, and new shit albums. You don’t need reviews, you don’t need influencing by anyone else’s opinion, you just need a functioning set of ears to tell the difference from then and now. As for CS, no problem with it, just don’t lump it with the other 11 studio albums. It doesn’t belong. It is what it is, a decent enough novelty record. But it’s not a proper Moz album imo.

“Not too bad” it’s dropped 29 places lol. Plummeted more than any other album, by a mileeee.
Not true, but what would you expect.
Low in High School dropped from 5-48 in its second week.
Also Maladjusted dropped out of the top 30 in its second week.
But it is maybe best to compare to other novelty records he put out.
Beethoven dropped 13-42 in its second week, Earls Court 18-45.

So for a Morrissey-album this is standard procedure :)

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom