"California Son" track listing posted on Morrissey Central

The Morrissey Covers Album - Morrissey Central
December 5, 2018

The track-list for Morrissey's California Son recording:

MORNING STARSHIP (Jobriath)
DON'T INTERRUPT THE SORROW (Joni Mitchell)
ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME (Bob Dylan)
SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN (Buffy Sainte Marie)
DAYS OF DECISION (Phil Ochs)
IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)
WEDDING BELL BLUES (Laura Nyro)
LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS (Dionne Warwick)
LADY WILLPOWER (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap)
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES (Carly Simon)
LENNY'S TUNE (Tim Hardin)
SOME SAY I GOT DEVIL (Melanie)

The album is produced by Joe Chiccarelli and will be released by BMG.

You know what I mean. I think obviously most of the songs have significance to him and call back to his vinyl obsessing youth, and the days spending his money on 7 inch singles. I wasn't expecting anything from this decade, or even century, but this isn't the career boosting attempt at accessibility I was thinking it would be, that's for sure. He manages to defy expectations.

I do. I didn't think it was going to be a big career booster as much as I hoped, a creative reboot. The most commercially accessible cover, Chain Gang, is not even part of this (isn't that a bit odd?). As to why he wanted to do a covers album in the first place, we still don't know. Is this to fulfill his BMG contract or something like that?

1977 - NME (UK)
Morrissey letter to the editor: "After witnessing Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers live, my much revered Carly Simon, Loudon Wainwright, Jefferson Airplane, Buff Sainte-Marie, New York Dolls, Phil Ochs and Patti Smith albums are presently smouldering on a low light. Don't talk to me about any band but the Heartbreakers because I just won't listen - these boys are newer than the New Wave and (surprise!) they can play! What's even more amazing is that the Heartbreakers' music is both memorable and professional, something which is seemingly least expected from a New Wave band. The seventies start here. Steven Morrissey, Kings Rd, Stretford, Manchester. PS: I work for the Inland Revenue - am I still allowed to be a punk?"

I love all of Morrissey's choices and can hardly wait to hear all of those wonderful words and thoughts and feelings sung through Morrissey's voice and soul!

Some say I got devil? Will he sing "I'm just a girl in danger"? Just curious...

Creates a new question as to whether attending a tour date post release would result in hearing this album nearly in full.
I think it would have to be advertised as such, otherwise many people would leave the venue pretty upset. Not that this has deterred Morrissey from presenting some fairly questionable setlists over the years, of course.

I do. I didn't think it was going to be a big career booster as much as I hoped, a creative reboot. The most commercially accessible cover, Chain Gang, is not even part of this (isn't that a bit odd?). As to why he wanted to do a covers album in the first place, we still don't know. Is this to fulfill his BMG contract or something like that?

He seems to be going through that part of life where you revisit your youth. I mean he’s been doing covers live for a while now so I don’t think it’s a contract filler. I think he’s just interested in exploring this rumination of his past. The list of the lost images and videos the covers the current dress style the video recreations etc. He’s taking stock of himself and his life through music and art. I think he’s made clear that he’s not gonna appeal for the kids attention in such a way no matter what. If he was he’d have taken the gorillaz collaboration offer. His health scares and issues as well as the way he talks about his hair and appearance to me suggest a man who’s aware of entering another stage in life and is contemplating it

IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYW3rfX66KU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZgRlZKJEA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp2GW-gJOI

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=some+say+i+got+devil+melanie

For those not familiar with the songs. To bad the Buckley cover we thought was coming isn't but I'm excited for the album

Buckley possible b-side? Two are not American, not that I’m complaining. :D

the Lenny Bruce song is on the the live Tim Hardin 3 album. A great album and a great track, our Moz has impeccable taste.:thumb:

The Jobriah & Dionne Warwicks tracks were two of the songs he had in mind when he first contacted Siouxsie with the view to record a duet with her around the recording of Your Arsenal.

My wife is going to shit herself when she hears Our Steven's version of "Wedding Bell Blues"... she's not a fan of the Mozzer but has to live with the fact that her husband is a Smiths/Moz fan.

The Morrissey Covers Album - Morrissey Central
December 5, 2018

The track-list for Morrissey's California Son recording:

IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)

The album is produced by Joe Chiccarelli and will be released by BMG.

Boy this'll sell to the kids. :lbf:

I mean, I'm interested, I'll listen, but what a collection of dusty old bones he's chosen.

Which goes to show... either for records or for shows he chooses what pleases him.

This is a great example of just that.

FOLKS TAKE NOTE !

:cool:

Most of these I know, some I haven’t heard in a long while. Gonna wait until I hear his versions before I listen to the originals again.

SOOOOOOOOO EXCITIED !

MY EARS ARE WET !!!

:lbf:

:D

Ummm. OK. So, Morrissey is covering Joni Mitchell - despite her oft-stated love of veal, seal and blood pudding?

Not a huge amount of integrity in the man or his fans, is there?

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom