"California Son" track listing posted on Morrissey Central

The Morrissey Covers Album - Morrissey Central
December 5, 2018

The track-list for Morrissey's California Son recording:

MORNING STARSHIP (Jobriath)
DON'T INTERRUPT THE SORROW (Joni Mitchell)
ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME (Bob Dylan)
SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN (Buffy Sainte Marie)
DAYS OF DECISION (Phil Ochs)
IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)
WEDDING BELL BLUES (Laura Nyro)
LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS (Dionne Warwick)
LADY WILLPOWER (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap)
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES (Carly Simon)
LENNY'S TUNE (Tim Hardin)
SOME SAY I GOT DEVIL (Melanie)

The album is produced by Joe Chiccarelli and will be released by BMG.

1. L
    Great to see Jobriath cover!
Hilarious ...."Seeing", it will be more than enough. Actually hearing it, will leave brain damage beyond repair and redemtion. The creature -jobriath, was a "normal" - lad, he was. Then, well....look at the mess. A desperate and pathetic attempt for attention, or a cheap Bowie-copy. This lads appearance on the Dianne Carol Show, 1972, was it, in some sort of see through plastic garbage bin it wore on stage. Lit up with lites and space ships on its head, it was. Way ..way out there. The audience, was quite naturally appalled !
The "creature"-jobriath, then set itself on the downward spiral, quite literally. Was it a jump off some old-dump-hotel ? The Chelsea it was after a piano brunch concerto, the creature-jobriath dove off the Chelsea roof top, it did. The small crowd applauded and gave a thankful cheerio to the descending snowflake creature....now plummeting to its unmerciful demise. Now comes the really funny part.
Mozzer did worship the "creature"-jobriath, some decades ago. But the creature had mercifully died and Mozzer didn't know 5 years on, or more. Remer that one Mozzer do ya ? You was all full of yourself in them days you was and all the hangers on were terrified to tell you that the one you loved, had riggered out years back. .....Hilarious !"Oh....I remember you."

December 5, 2018

IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)

THIS ENTIRE AFFAIR IS A DISASTER ! It over and that was 2 records ago...atleast. Yes, a tour too match this carnival side show record will ensue post haste. Mozzer will not only sing this utter rubbish of a graveyard collection, but...will dress up exactly like the so called artists preforming it. The Dianne Warwick outfit will send all attending to hospital. Swelled up to 380 Pounds, Mozzer does his Roy Orbison routine. You could've dawned lites an tintzles on yourself Mozzer, and done another Golden Lites number. Or.....Just git onstage as a twin of the James baldwin groaner. A couple cans of glossy black spray paint will fix ya up, it will.

Never had any interest in any of these people. I’m sure the vocals are excellent, it’s just something I don’t care to hear.

Never had any interest in any of these people. I’m sure the vocals are excellent, it’s just something I don’t care to hear.

It all reminds me of Work Is a Four Letter Word and Golden Lights, only it probably won't be as good.

Listened to the whole package in a row. There might be some great surprises but with Mando , Jesse & Co produced by Chicarelli , I don't know but I feel a cold shiver in my back. Hope Boz is on good form to find inspirational arrangements for these songs .The Frankie Valli "To give" was ordinary and then became a classic.
Wait and see!

Thanks for posting the original on a Spotify playlist. For those interested in the first generation of singer-songwriters, this is an interesting selection of artists. I couldn't help but notice that he respected the gender balance on this one.

I am slightly worried about how his band will handle this selection of folk, jazzy and soulful tunes. I can see them doing Jobriath, but some of the selected songs have subtle arrangements that are way out of their usual range. Joni Mitchell was already mentioned in this context. Not sure if Joe's production style will help either. We'll find out next year.

I ye reckon if those other loyal Moz Angeles residents like John Lydon, Jonesy, William Michael Albert Broad, Dave Evans (not Irish Catholic), Al White, Ozzy...etc are going to fight over or try to copyright the name "California Son". I reckon that's John Lydon and Jonesy about 70 pounds ago.

Lydon CA2.jpg

I ye reckon if those other loyal Moz Angeles residents like John Lydon, Jonesy, William Michael Albert Broad, Dave Evans (not Irish Catholic), Al White, Ozzy...etc are going to fight over or try to copyright the name "California Son". I reckon that's John Lydon and Jonesy about 70 pounds ago.

View attachment 46853
Omfg. The dreaded waistcoat together with mandarin collar over-length tunic combo thing.

A desired creative ensemble and internationally coveted sartorial piece de resistance - nowhere. :eek:

somewhat quiet times at the moment as the new year is already on in normal mode, don´t you find?
I would be very surprised if California Son will be released in March.
But maybe we will get some news very soon.
Also hoping that the rumor of recording a new album of own songs early in 2019 will get true.

somewhat quiet times at the moment as the new year is already on in normal mode, don´t you find?
I would be very surprised if California Son will be released in March.
But maybe we will get some news very soon.
Also hoping that the rumor of recording a new album of own songs early in 2019 will get true.

He was hoping BOTCG would get released in August, and that didn't get released til November.

1977 - NME (UK)
Morrissey letter to the editor: "After witnessing Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers live, my much revered Carly Simon, Loudon Wainwright, Jefferson Airplane, Buff Sainte-Marie, New York Dolls, Phil Ochs and Patti Smith albums are presently smouldering on a low light. Don't talk to me about any band but the Heartbreakers because I just won't listen - these boys are newer than the New Wave and (surprise!) they can play! What's even more amazing is that the Heartbreakers' music is both memorable and professional, something which is seemingly least expected from a New Wave band. The seventies start here. Steven Morrissey, Kings Rd, Stretford, Manchester. PS: I work for the Inland Revenue - am I still allowed to be a punk?"

This is STILL funny today. But true. Very true.
Especially since they had a small fan club in the UK at that time.
Membership Approximately 3 !

Hazard
x

December 5, 2018

IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)

There’s lots of negativity on here, but personally I’m really looking forward to this album. The covers on the Low In High School deluxe album were great, so I’m defo up for some more. I dont know many of the songs on Calafonia Son, but thats a good thing - I’d rather hear covers of obscure tracks that I dont know than covers of overplayed classics.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom