"California Son" track listing posted on Morrissey Central

The Morrissey Covers Album - Morrissey Central
December 5, 2018

The track-list for Morrissey's California Son recording:

MORNING STARSHIP (Jobriath)
DON'T INTERRUPT THE SORROW (Joni Mitchell)
ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME (Bob Dylan)
SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN (Buffy Sainte Marie)
DAYS OF DECISION (Phil Ochs)
IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)
WEDDING BELL BLUES (Laura Nyro)
LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS (Dionne Warwick)
LADY WILLPOWER (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap)
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES (Carly Simon)
LENNY'S TUNE (Tim Hardin)
SOME SAY I GOT DEVIL (Melanie)

The album is produced by Joe Chiccarelli and will be released by BMG.

Ummm. OK. So, Morrissey is covering Joni Mitchell - despite her oft-stated love of veal, seal and blood pudding?

Not a huge amount of integrity in the man or his fans, is there?

He interviewed her 20 years ago. He's a huge fan. As am I, which is why I can probably live without Mozzer's interpretation of Don't Interrupt The Sorrow
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-melancholy-meets-the-infinite-sadness-91681/

I'm leaving on the 1:15
You're darn right
Since I was seventeen
I've had no one over me
He says "Anima rising-
So what-
Petrified wood process
Tall timber down to rock!"

Some say I got devil? Will he sing "I'm just a girl in danger"? Just curious...

Maybe and why not ? Listen to Sheila take a bow.

:)

Looks like it could be quite good. Glad to see there are no previously done covers here. So, still no word on a release date?
Well I would have liked to see Chain Gang on it. I don't plan on buying High School a second time. He must think we are a bottomless money pit.

Is this to fulfill his BMG contract or something like that?

BINGO! He owes them a considerable sum of money and another album. Miz is playing the Neil Young card (circa 1981). Put out a pile of rubbish and you’re free to go.

It won’t sell. It won’t get played (thank the f***ing stars because NOBODY needs to hear fat Elvis butcher classics). It won’t reverse the downward spiral. This is it. The flusher has been fully depressed.

I empathize with you lot. ...but only because your grandma and grandpa are going to loathe this - and you, for buying it.

f***ing whack-jobs.

***My anonymous security code answer for this was “Cheddar Cheese. How appropriate! ;)

He seems to be going through that part of life where you revisit your youth. I mean he’s been doing covers live for a while now so I don’t think it’s a contract filler. I think he’s just interested in exploring this rumination of his past. The list of the lost images and videos the covers the current dress style the video recreations etc. He’s taking stock of himself and his life through music and art. I think he’s made clear that he’s not gonna appeal for the kids attention in such a way no matter what. If he was he’d have taken the gorillaz collaboration offer. His health scares and issues as well as the way he talks about his hair and appearance to me suggest a man who’s aware of entering another stage in life and is contemplating it

Well there’s Viva Hate.

Think he just goes with what feels right. I’ve been hoping for a covers record from him since Your Arsenal, and I’d guess the idea of a covers record has always been in the back of his mind waiting for the right time.

Well I would have liked to see Chain Gang on it. I don't plan on buying High School a second time. He must think we are a bottomless money pit.
Quite the contrary. He’s headfirst down the whole and can see the bottom. That’s why he’s milking every last dime he can from the sad-sacks that are still buying his cheap, overly-contrived nonsense. Minimal investment for maximum profit. Its business.

He’s basically the musical equivalent of a dime store in Damascus.

Well there’s Viva Hate.

Think he just goes with what feels right. I’ve been hoping for a covers record from him since Your Arsenal, and I’d guess the idea of a covers record has always been in the back of his mind waiting for the right time.
He had a band behind him and future ahead of him back in the “Your Arsenal” days”.

Ancient history.

I do. I didn't think it was going to be a big career booster as much as I hoped, a creative reboot. The most commercially accessible cover, Chain Gang, is not even part of this (isn't that a bit odd?). As to why he wanted to do a covers album in the first place, we still don't know. Is this to fulfill his BMG contract or something like that?
Honestly, this could be called Commercial Suicide instead of California Son. It just has such limited commercial appeal that it has to be deliberate, which kind of seems like contract fulfillment to me.

The Morrissey Covers Album - Morrissey Central
December 5, 2018

The track-list for Morrissey's California Son recording:

MORNING STARSHIP (Jobriath)
DON'T INTERRUPT THE SORROW (Joni Mitchell)
ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME (Bob Dylan)
SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN (Buffy Sainte Marie)
DAYS OF DECISION (Phil Ochs)
IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)
WEDDING BELL BLUES (Laura Nyro)
LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS (Dionne Warwick)
LADY WILLPOWER (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap)
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES (Carly Simon)
LENNY'S TUNE (Tim Hardin)
SOME SAY I GOT DEVIL (Melanie)

The album is produced by Joe Chiccarelli and will be released by BMG.

I can't wait to hear Morrissey's favourites sung by morrissey.
With the talk of a covers album I had almost forgotten that the deluxe version of LIHS is due out December 7th. This date is also given on Amazon as the release of Poetry Hour, the bootleg mentioned here before.

I like the tracklisting. Good to see its more obscure tracks and not covers of songs that have already been covered to death.

The Dylan-0ne is really well-chosen, suits him like a glove.

A bullet from the back of a bush
Took Medgar Evers' blood
A finger fired the trigger to his name
A handle hid out in the dark
A hand set the spark
Two eyes took the aim
Behind a man's brain
But he can't be blamed
He's only a pawn in their game
A South politician preaches to the poor white man
"You got more than the blacks, don't complain
You're better than them, you been born with white skin, " they explain
And the Negro's name
Is used, it is plain
For the politician's gain
As he rises to fame
And the poor white remains
On the caboose of the train
But it ain't him to blame
The deputy sheriffs, the soldiers, the governors get paid
And the marshals and cops get the same
But the poor white man's used in the hands of them all like a tool
He's taught in his school
From the start by the rule
That the laws are with him
To protect his white skin
To keep up his hate
So he never thinks straight
'Bout the shape that he's in
From the poverty shacks, he looks from the cracks to the tracks
And the hoofbeats pound in his brain
And he's taught how to walk in a pack
Shoot in the back
With his fist in a clinch
To hang and to lynch
To hide 'neath the hood
To kill with no pain
Like a dog on a chain
He ain't got no name
Today, Medgar Evers was buried from the bullet he caught
They lowered him down as a king
But when the shadowy sun sets on the one
That fired the gun
He'll see by his grave
On the stone that remains
Carved next to his name
His epitaph plain
Only a pawn in their game

This is great to see, I figured there would be a Joni Mitchell track and I'm happy with the choice. It's intriguing he has covered a Dylan track also, that's Bowie, Lou Reed and now Dylan all covered, I'm happy with that.

Honestly, this could be called Commercial Suicide instead of California Son. It just has such limited commercial appeal that it has to be deliberate, which kind of seems like contract fulfillment to me.

Are you saying you think morrissey wants out of his contract with bmg. That’s the only reason I can think of for making a covers album for a contractual fulfillment. If he was being forced to put out an album to end a contract I can’t imagine that he wouldn’t put out original material. Why is it so hard to believe that he just wanted to make this and did

I suppose it may have been too obvious but I was really hoping for a Dolls or Bowie or Ramones cover.
Or something by T-rex. Ride A White Swan or Children Of The Revolution or Cosmic Dancer (a more faithful version than the live cover from the early 90's).

Interesting things to note.

Chrissie Hynde has BMG connections and so does L P :astonished:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Ummm. OK. So, Morrissey is covering Joni Mitchell - despite her oft-stated love of veal, seal and blood pudding?

Not a huge amount of integrity in the man or his fans, is there?

We’re you under the impression that hank Williams Elvis Johnny thunders and the ramones were all vegan

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom