Catholic leaders warning about SNS

SNS is going to be mighty offended when he reads this post.

Kidding. Anyway, part of me wants to scoff, but the rest of me thinks Nichols is on to something. It's just another indicator of the shift in our society away from thinking and toward feeling.

It's almost as though we have stopped looking at the meaning of our communications and are now completely caught up in the surface, the rhetoric. Will it swing back?

(;))

SNS is going to be mighty offended when he reads this post.

Oh yeah, in my attempt to not have to type as many words...

I agree with what you are saying...however I do worry that online friendships are often open to being mocked. Perhaps it is a different form of communication that is being developed but not any less worthy than the old ways.
I've also read on the change in people preferring to email rather than telephone - something I admit that I am doing more and more often.

Oh yeah, in my attempt to not have to type as many words...

I agree with what you are saying...however I do worry that online friendships are often open to being mocked. Perhaps it is a different form of communication that is being developed but not any less worthy than the old ways.
I've also read on the change in people preferring to email rather than telephone - something I admit that I am doing more and more often.

My instinct tells me that we will always interpret change as bad, at least initially, but my common sense tells me that the laws of nature will not let us ruin ourselves entirely. Change, at least in theory, should not stick if it actually harms us. This doesn't extend into all aspects of life (carbon emissions, extinction of species) but the benefits we have derived in the short term must have outweighed the harm done, and we will (must) work it out or we won't survive. And we will work it out, I believe.

And yeah, online friendships are wide open to mockery. I'm painfully aware of this. However, it suits those of us who do best when we communicate by the written word very well. It pairs the immediacy of face to face communication with the clarity of typed words.

Last edited:
Well even though writing is my day-job I am terrible at it and like the immediacy of this style of writing. I really wish I could form cohesive arguments like yourself and Worm...

I have been reading on why humans are often blind to what is bad for them (eg: doing very little about the environment) but agree that it would be unlikely that anything damaging would go unchecked. Although it is the subtle changes in what we do that may just as likely cause negative effects, and perhaps go unchecked.

Oh, my... that's a very kind comparison. I'm a great fan of Worm and his posts. Thank you.

I don't know. I panic that the world is going to Hell in a handbasket, just in time to ruin my kids' lives. 9/11 was my older son's first birthday, and I remember feeling so very sorry that I'd brought a child into this pre-apocalyptic hellhole. Sorry for him, that is. But... I also feel certain that every generation has worried that this is the end, that we've f***ed it all up beyond redemption, and that still hasn't actually happened. I can't say what exactly keeps us going, but I have faith that we will survive and be strong, somehow. Maybe I just have to believe that for my own sanity, you know?

6dv8d3.jpg

That hat is OTT (over the top) but he makes it work! :guitar:

I thought a mitre was 3 foot 3 inches OH SORRY thats a metre :lbf:

But he does wear it well, and think of all the stuff he could hid under there ......

Last edited:
I thought a mitre was 3 foot 3 inches OH SORRY thats a metre :lbf:

But he does where it well, and think of all the stuff he could hid under there ......

You are thinking of a sceptre.

I agree with some of it, although that's very counterintuitive to be agreeing with a Catholic leader...Derrick Jensen says it better, though:

In any case, I’m not certain that the ability to send emails back and forth to Spain or to watch television programs beamed out of Los Angeles makes my life particularly richer. It’s far more important, useful, and enriching, I think, to get to know my neighbors. I’m frequently amazed to find myself sitting in a room full of fellow human beings, all of us staring at a box watching and listening to a story concocted and enacted by people far away. I have friends who know Seinfeld’s neighbors better than their own. I, too, can get lost in valuing the unreality of the distant over that which surrounds me every day. I have to confess I can navigate the mazes of the computer game Doom 2: Hell on Earth far better than I can find my way along the labyrinthine game trails beneath the trees outside my window, and I understand the intricacies of Microsoft Word far better than I do the complex dance of rain, sun, predators, prey, scavengers, plants, and soil in the creek a hundred yards away. The other night, I wrote till late, and finally turned off my computer to step outside and say goodnight to the dogs. I realized, then, that the wind was blowing hard through the tops of the redwood trees, and the trees were sighing and whispering. Branches were clashing, and in the distance I heard them cracking. Until that moment I had not realized such a symphony was taking place so near, much less had I gone out to participate in it, to feel the wind blow my hair and to feel the tossed rain hit me in the face. All of the sounds of the night had been drowned out by the monotone whine of my computer’s fan. Just yesterday I saw a pair of hooded mergansers playing on the pond outside my bedroom. Then last night I saw a television program in which yet another lion chased yet another zebra. Which of those two scenes makes me richer? This perceived widening of communication is just another replication of the problem of the visual and musical arts, because given the impulse for centralized control that motivates civilization, widening communication in this case really means reducing us from active participants in our own lives and in the lives of those around us to consumers sucking words and images from some distant sugar tit.
Hidden because it's kind of long, but if you fancy an interesting read...read!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom