Cheshire Police found guilty of discrimination after rejecting white heterosexual man for job

The Truth

about Ruth
This is for @reelfountain
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20..._source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
Cheshire Police found guilty of discrimination after rejecting white heterosexual man for job
Jack Hardy
22 FEBRUARY 2019 • 7:39PM

A police force has been found guilty of discrimination after it refused to give a potential recruit a job because he was a white heterosexual man.

Cheshire Police are believed to be the first organisation in the UK to be found guilty of using positive action to discriminate by deciding to shun 25-year-old Matthew Furlong in 2017.

The force rejected him while in the midst of a diversity drive after a report found in 2015 it was one of only four constabularies to have no black officers.

Mr Furlong, whose father is a serving detective inspector at Cheshire Police, claimed he was told after the interview stage "it was refreshing to meet someone as well prepared as yourself" and that he "could not have done any more".

The graduate in particle physics and cosmology was later told he had lost out to other candidates, leading his father to lodge a complaint.

In a landmark case, Cheshire Police were found to have used positive action to discriminate against Mr Furlong on the grounds of sexual orientation, race and gender.

An employment tribunal ruled that while positive action can be used to boost diversity, it should only be applied to distinguish between candidates who were all equally well qualified for a role.

TELEMMGLPICT000189323128_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNKqRESvbksstVAhHMOFtR9FmIpvj06kZifeCyvJ46o8.jpeg

The ruling in Mr Furlong's favour is believed to be the first of its kind
Jennifer Ainscough, an employment lawyer at Slater and Gordon who represented Mr Furlong, said: "Matthew was denied his dream job simply because he was a white, heterosexual male.

"This is the first reported case of its kind in the UK where positive action has been used in a discriminatory way.

"Matthew's courage in speaking out will hopefully ensure it is the last.

"Had he not been such an exceptional candidate he may not even have suspected anything was wrong and this unlawful and unacceptable selection process may have been allowed to continue.

"Positive action is an important tool to support a diverse workforce that reflects the community in which we live.

"However it must be applied lawfully to ensure the highest calibre of candidates are recruited regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation and to ensure standards in police forces are maintained to properly protect our society."

The tribunal in Liverpool heard four days of evidence before reaching its conclusion, published earlier this month, that Mr Furlong had been a victim of direct discrimination on the grounds of his sexual orientation, race and sex.

The force's claim it had seen 127 candidates who were equally suitable for the role of police constable was a "fallacy", the tribunal concluded.

It said that Cheshire Police’s decision to impose such an artificially low threshold - assigning candidates a pass or fail rather than any kind of score - was not a proportionate response to addressing the force's lack of diversity.

Cheshire Police was among a number of forces criticised in 2015 for having no black officers, but has since taken steps to improve opportunities for those with protected characteristics relating to BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) gender, sexual orientation and disability.

Its efforts have resulted in a number of national awards and recognition including being chosen to host the National Black Police Associations Conference in 2017.

The case has been adjourned until later this year for a remedy hearing to determine the amount of compensation to be awarded.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "We have been notified of the outcome of the tribunal and will review the findings over the coming days."

Thanks for this. I read it about it in the paper yesterday. This is Cheshire police, but the same is happening in London with the Met. In fact the other day they admitted it will take another 100 years for the Met to represent the ethnic population of London - presumably meaning that by then whites will be a tiny minority (which seems erroneous as it's going to happen way before then) But why should the Met represent the population of London anyway? Does the office worker community of London represent the pop. of London? Most probably live outside London and travel in? How about the BBC? How about Parliament? There's no argument there.

Police forces will use positive discrimination (racism by a fancy name) to employ a black person over a white even if that black person is unsuitable for the job.

My question is: who started all this nonsense with identity politics? Who thought it would be a good idea to inflict this cancer on society - knowing full well it is a cancer?

Here's some questions to mull over.

What group of people invented identity and victimhood politics? What group thought it would be a good idea to hamper society in this way - against our best interests? Who formulated and pushed gender politics to children in schools, to make the difficult and sometimes confusing process of growing up even more complicated and more harder?

In fact, the question really is: what group of people has the POWER to implement all this nonsense - all this weakening, fragmenting and neuroticising of society?

We all know about the age old tactic of divide and rule (so people can't unite and potentially overthrow their leaders), and yet why are so many people still taken in by our leaders obviously negative tenets?

The group that rules over us, unashamedly dominating the media, judiciary, economics etc (all the industries that shape our opinions and manufacture our consent) love to play victim politics themselves also. They are the eternal victims - the ones that hide behind their supposed victimhood and cite incidents and '-ism's so that they cannot be criticised at all. So that they can continue to amass fortunes and power and start wars, therefore amassing more fortune and power while the common man sits working his job or watching his football or gambling what little money he has online so that this group can amass even more fortune and power...

What group believes in mass-immigration with emotionally-manipulative sob stories of the horrors of war (that this group themselves have started) when that very word simply means cheap exploitative labour, with an added bonus of diluting society so that everyone is even more alienated and disunited? Who constantly guilt trips us about being racist while at the same time weaponising race?

We're being dumbed down and kept down and next thing they will legalise weed which is a pacifier and soporific and keeps people down, glued to their sofas even more.

This program to regress our intelligence really came into its stride after the Second World War, which I believe we lost. Then in the 60s it hit overdrive. Then recently I feel that overdrive button was pressed again with the obvious craziness of identity politics that interestingly both Labour and Tory love and espouse (along with the exploitative third world labour which will eventually minoritise Europeans in their own countries - whoopee).

The truth is depressing and I would love to be wrong. I would love for somebody to intelligently prove me wrong. And if they could I would be heartily relieved - but calling me names (Racist! Nazi!) proves nothing: it simply means you've been taken in by the wrong side and unwittingly, you're one of their pawns.

Last edited:
This is for @reelfountain
Jack Hardy
22 FEBRUARY 2019 • 7:39PM

A police force has been found guilty of discrimination after it refused to give a potential recruit a job because he was a white heterosexual man.

Cheshire Police are believed to be the first organisation in the UK to be found guilty of using positive action to discriminate by deciding to shun 25-year-old Matthew Furlong in 2017.

The force rejected him while in the midst of a diversity drive after a report found in 2015 it was one of only four constabularies to have no black officers.

Mr Furlong, whose father is a serving detective inspector at Cheshire Police, claimed he was told after the interview stage "it was refreshing to meet someone as well prepared as yourself" and that he "could not have done any more".

The graduate in particle physics and cosmology was later told he had lost out to other candidates, leading his father to lodge a complaint.

In a landmark case, Cheshire Police were found to have used positive action to discriminate against Mr Furlong on the grounds of sexual orientation, race and gender.

An employment tribunal ruled that while positive action can be used to boost diversity, it should only be applied to distinguish between candidates who were all equally well qualified for a role.

TELEMMGLPICT000189323128_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNKqRESvbksstVAhHMOFtR9FmIpvj06kZifeCyvJ46o8.jpeg

The ruling in Mr Furlong's favour is believed to be the first of its kind
Jennifer Ainscough, an employment lawyer at Slater and Gordon who represented Mr Furlong, said: "Matthew was denied his dream job simply because he was a white, heterosexual male.

"This is the first reported case of its kind in the UK where positive action has been used in a discriminatory way.

"Matthew's courage in speaking out will hopefully ensure it is the last.

"Had he not been such an exceptional candidate he may not even have suspected anything was wrong and this unlawful and unacceptable selection process may have been allowed to continue.

"Positive action is an important tool to support a diverse workforce that reflects the community in which we live.

"However it must be applied lawfully to ensure the highest calibre of candidates are recruited regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation and to ensure standards in police forces are maintained to properly protect our society."

The tribunal in Liverpool heard four days of evidence before reaching its conclusion, published earlier this month, that Mr Furlong had been a victim of direct discrimination on the grounds of his sexual orientation, race and sex.

The force's claim it had seen 127 candidates who were equally suitable for the role of police constable was a "fallacy", the tribunal concluded.

It said that Cheshire Police’s decision to impose such an artificially low threshold - assigning candidates a pass or fail rather than any kind of score - was not a proportionate response to addressing the force's lack of diversity.

Cheshire Police was among a number of forces criticised in 2015 for having no black officers, but has since taken steps to improve opportunities for those with protected characteristics relating to BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) gender, sexual orientation and disability.

Its efforts have resulted in a number of national awards and recognition including being chosen to host the National Black Police Associations Conference in 2017.

The case has been adjourned until later this year for a remedy hearing to determine the amount of compensation to be awarded.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "We have been notified of the outcome of the tribunal and will review the findings over the coming days."
why is this thrice (probably more) banned troll here?

"The graduate in particle physics and cosmology was later told..."

LOL... Why the hell he wanted to be a silly cop????

look, I hate to be somewhat agreeing with the wacko right wing racists, but yeah, discrimination is discrimination, if principles are to have any meaning then they should be applied in the most objective manner possible, which in 2019 is pretty damn high id say
furthermore, I've never been a big fan of redressing past wrongs in the now, quotas and the like, cuz well, where do you stop?
I mean, my mom's people were cleared off their land in the 1700s back in the UK, and now here in the USA we've got politicians talking bout gonna pay the descendants of black people cuz of slavery and racism afterwards, with all of our tax dollars
well then, I hope my mom is getting a little patch of the Highlands from the UK gubment :cool:

look, I hate to be somewhat agreeing with the wacko right wing racists, but yeah, discrimination is discrimination, if principles are to have any meaning then they should be applied in the most objective manner possible, which in 2019 is pretty damn high id say
furthermore, I've never been a big fan of redressing past wrongs in the now, quotas and the like, cuz well, where do you stop?
I mean, my mom's people were cleared off their land in the 1700s back in the UK, and now here in the USA we've got politicians talking bout gonna pay the descendants of black people cuz of slavery and racism afterwards, with all of our tax dollars
well then, I hope my mom is getting a little patch of the Highlands from the UK gubment :cool:

:rolleyes:

you can have Skinnys council house.
:crazy:

you know what, viva hate?! ive decided that I don't mind you. I mean, I think you have deep seated issues, but I think you can be funny and clever at times. just had to tell you. don't get too puffed up about it.

Too late.

9903D41E-031E-4662-95A1-5F2725998845.gif

Thanks for this. I read it about it in the paper yesterday. This is Cheshire police, but the same is happening in London with the Met. In fact the other day they admitted it will take another 100 years for the Met to represent the ethnic population of London - presumably meaning that by then whites will be a tiny minority (which seems erroneous as it's going to happen way before then) But why should the Met represent the population of London anyway? Does the office worker community of London represent the pop. of London? Most probably live outside London and travel in? How about the BBC? How about Parliament? There's no argument there.

Police forces will use positive discrimination (racism by a fancy name) to employ a black person over a white even if that black person is unsuitable for the job.

My question is: who started all this nonsense with identity politics? Who thought it would be a good idea to inflict this cancer on society - knowing full well it is a cancer?

Here's some questions to mull over.

What group of people invented identity and victimhood politics? What group thought it would be a good idea to hamper society in this way - against our best interests? Who formulated and pushed gender politics to children in schools, to make the difficult and sometimes confusing process of growing up even more complicated and more harder?

In fact, the question really is: what group of people has the POWER to implement all this nonsense - all this weakening, fragmenting and neuroticising of society?

We all know about the age old tactic of divide and rule (so people can't unite and potentially overthrow their leaders), and yet why are so many people still taken in by our leaders obviously negative tenets?

The group that rules over us, unashamedly dominating the media, judiciary, economics etc (all the industries that shape our opinions and manufacture our consent) love to play victim politics themselves also. They are the eternal victims - the ones that hide behind their supposed victimhood and cite incidents and '-ism's so that they cannot be criticised at all. So that can continue to amass fortunes and power and start wars, therefore amassing more fortune and power while the common man sits working his job or watching his football or gambling what little money he has online so that this group can amass even more fortune and power...

What group believes in mass-immigration with emotionally-manipulative sob stories of the horrors of war (that this group themselves have started) when that very word simply means cheap exploitative labour, with an added bonus of diluting society so that everyone is even more alienated and disunited? Who constantly guilt trips us about being racist while at the same time weaponising race?

We're being dumbed down and kept down and next thing they will legalise weed which is a pacifier and soporific and keeps people down, glued to their sofas even more.

This program to regress our intelligence really came into its stride after the Second World War, which I believe we lost. Then in the 60s it hit overdrive. Then recently I feel that overdrive button was pressed again with the obvious craziness of identity politics that interestingly both Labour and Tory love and espouse (along with the exploitative third world labour which will eventually minoritise Europeans in their own countries - whoopee).

The truth is depressing and I would love to be wrong. I would love for somebody to intelligently prove me wrong. And if they could I would be heartily relieved - but calling me names (Racist! Nazi!) proves nothing: it simply means you've been taken in by the wrong side and unwittingly, you're one of their pawns.

Wholeheartedly agree! :thumb:
Does the NBA have an accurate representation of the American population? No! That's what happens in a meritocracy. It's a good thing the overrepresented race is black. If it was white, they'd toss in a bunch of untalented black people and ruin the NBA.

Back
Top Bottom