Links posted by Famous when dead:

The Smiths reunion tour will include Edinburgh show - Edinburgh Evening News

Three members of The Smiths have announced their reunion - NME

Members of The Smiths to reunite for classical concerts - The Telegraph

Big News For The Smiths Fans: A Mini Reunion Is On Its Way... - Radio X

42073_classically-the-smiths-image-all-dates-1516617111.jpg

The official site (not much there yet):
https://www.classicallysmiths.com

Three members of The Smiths reunite for Classically Smiths gigs reworking band's tracks with Camerata orchestra - Manchester Evening News
Classically Smiths will see Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon team up with the Manchester Camerata Orchestra to rework the band's back catalogue at live concerts this summer

Excerpt:

Guest vocalists for the Classically Smiths concerts are yet to be announced.

Andy Rourke said: “To have been there the first time round and seen it first hand, and to still be such a big fan of The Smiths today, I am both thrilled and excited to be involved in Classically Smiths.

"I’m really proud of the band’s work, and being able to present those songs again in this particular production format promises to be a real gift for audiences everywhere.”

Craig Gannon said: “Classically Smiths will be a refreshing and exciting production, not only for us as musicians, but ultimately for the people coming to see and hear it.

"I’m really looking forward to playing these great songs with an orchestra and I know people are going to embrace the way in which they are presented.

“When using an orchestra with a band, there are so many different approaches you can take. But rather than us bending something out of shape or forcing a completely different musical angle on it, we’re doing this with the greatest respect and admiration for the songs we all love.

“I played most of these songs live (and on some of the original recordings) when I was in The Smiths in 1986 and I’m really looking forward to revisiting them again.”

Classically Smiths is presented by Bad Production Ltd who are promising a huge production to back the music.

Joel Perry, executive producer and creative director, said: “Classically Smiths is bringing back into the now, from their extraordinary place in history, a reimagining of those irrepressible songs that we believe audiences, and indeed any discerning music lover, deserves to hear.

"Music that is as valid in 2018 as it was in 1987. Emotive, nostalgic, yet current and refreshed. A celebration of the melancholic exuberance that only that band were capable of providing, delivered in a production that is nothing short of monumental.

“We are not The Smiths, but we are certainly not to be missed by anyone whose lives were defined – and are still being defined – by the enduring sounds of one of the UK’s finest ever bands. This is the celebration of that.”

...Tickets for Classically Smiths go on sale Friday January 26 from www.ticketmaster.co.uk

The live dates confirmed so far are:

JUNE 28 – MANCHESTER, O2 APOLLO
JUNE 29 – LONDON, O2 ACADEMY, BRIXTON
JULY 2 – EDINBURGH, USHER HALL

42071_manchester_camerata.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
If Morrissey and Marr were to join Rourke and Joyce then there'd be no need for the orchestra right?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Morrissey and Marr had joined Rourke and Joyce then there'd be no need for the orchestra right?

Who knows? New Order did a series of gigs last year with a synth orchestra, bands like to try different things from time to time.

Suspect you maybe wrong there, they are still well connected with the Manchester music scene and there will be plenty of singers who will be keen to do this.
Singers, Yes, but they will be Local and up and coming. No high profile singer is willing to try and do a Morrissey-impression. These songs and words are his and as it is hardly a tribute to him (more a kick in the balls) it would take a great hypocrite to go on the stage there.

What a tease! But did I expect a full reunion (which will not and should not ever happen). Seems like another cash grab honestly.

Singers, Yes, but they will be Local and up and coming. No high profile singer is willing to try and do a Morrissey-impression. These songs and words are his and as it is hardly a tribute to him (more a kick in the balls) it would take a great hypocrite to go on the stage there.

Yes, that seems far more likely to me as well.

"Guest vocalists for the Classically Smiths concerts are yet to be announced."

Decode to "We're still trying to convince Morrissey" ?

"Guest vocalists for the Classically Smiths concerts are yet to be announced."

Decode to "We're still trying to convince Morrissey" ?

Nope.

Decode to "If we had anyone confirmed who would be guaranteed to shift tickets, we would announce them now."

They look desperate to go back in the scene. It looks pathetic to me. Specially because they didn't write any of the tracks in The Smiths. They existed because of Morrissey and Marr. On top of that they took Marr and Morrissey to court to try to get the maximum amount of money from them. These three are not behaving nicely.

:ha-no::ha-no::ha-no:

Hilarious...kind of like...well...your life...a hilarious "too cool for school" attitude about life...when in fact you know you were molested by the neighbor, had a drug addicted parent and one who was the town whore...you have no idea who your "true" father is...oh...and your only "friend" in life was a Smiths album...that you talked to and named Wilbur...I loooooove coming to this site to see all the sad and lonely and self important tossers post pure garbage...i look forward to the day when mozzer off himself and then ALL of you follow suit...world...gets...better...instantly...

They look desperate to go back in the scene. It looks pathetic to me. Specially because they didn't write any of the tracks in The Smiths. They existed because of Morrissey and Marr. On top of that they took Marr and Morrissey to court to try to get the maximum amount of money from them. These three are not behaving nicely.

The maximum amount? Or what they were rightfully (legally) owed?

Why would they have to do a Morrissey impersonation? It isn't Stars In Their Eyes!

This sounds really cool. It's a great idea and not what I was expecting. We will have to wait and see of course....the world is full if great ideas that are not properly executed:rolleyes:

No Andy takes a bit from the excitement... but the guest singers...very interesting (I vote for Moz;):p)

This sounds really cool. It's a great idea and not what I was expecting. We will have to wait and see of course....the world is full if great ideas that are not properly executed:rolleyes:

No Andy takes a bit from the excitement... but the guest singers...very interesting (I vote for Moz;):p)

Do you mean no marr

So if you were those 3 and saw a gap in the market bring an interesting version of The Smiths songs to a potential new audience, would you ignore it?

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom