Links posted by Famous when dead:

The Smiths reunion tour will include Edinburgh show - Edinburgh Evening News

Three members of The Smiths have announced their reunion - NME

Members of The Smiths to reunite for classical concerts - The Telegraph

Big News For The Smiths Fans: A Mini Reunion Is On Its Way... - Radio X

42073_classically-the-smiths-image-all-dates-1516617111.jpg

The official site (not much there yet):
https://www.classicallysmiths.com

Three members of The Smiths reunite for Classically Smiths gigs reworking band's tracks with Camerata orchestra - Manchester Evening News
Classically Smiths will see Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon team up with the Manchester Camerata Orchestra to rework the band's back catalogue at live concerts this summer

Excerpt:

Guest vocalists for the Classically Smiths concerts are yet to be announced.

Andy Rourke said: “To have been there the first time round and seen it first hand, and to still be such a big fan of The Smiths today, I am both thrilled and excited to be involved in Classically Smiths.

"I’m really proud of the band’s work, and being able to present those songs again in this particular production format promises to be a real gift for audiences everywhere.”

Craig Gannon said: “Classically Smiths will be a refreshing and exciting production, not only for us as musicians, but ultimately for the people coming to see and hear it.

"I’m really looking forward to playing these great songs with an orchestra and I know people are going to embrace the way in which they are presented.

“When using an orchestra with a band, there are so many different approaches you can take. But rather than us bending something out of shape or forcing a completely different musical angle on it, we’re doing this with the greatest respect and admiration for the songs we all love.

“I played most of these songs live (and on some of the original recordings) when I was in The Smiths in 1986 and I’m really looking forward to revisiting them again.”

Classically Smiths is presented by Bad Production Ltd who are promising a huge production to back the music.

Joel Perry, executive producer and creative director, said: “Classically Smiths is bringing back into the now, from their extraordinary place in history, a reimagining of those irrepressible songs that we believe audiences, and indeed any discerning music lover, deserves to hear.

"Music that is as valid in 2018 as it was in 1987. Emotive, nostalgic, yet current and refreshed. A celebration of the melancholic exuberance that only that band were capable of providing, delivered in a production that is nothing short of monumental.

“We are not The Smiths, but we are certainly not to be missed by anyone whose lives were defined – and are still being defined – by the enduring sounds of one of the UK’s finest ever bands. This is the celebration of that.”

...Tickets for Classically Smiths go on sale Friday January 26 from www.ticketmaster.co.uk

The live dates confirmed so far are:

JUNE 28 – MANCHESTER, O2 APOLLO
JUNE 29 – LONDON, O2 ACADEMY, BRIXTON
JULY 2 – EDINBURGH, USHER HALL

42071_manchester_camerata.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really hope this comes to the US for a few shows. Would travel.

I'm just irritated because for years I've been wanting Morrissey to play with an orchestra. I don't even need to be there, I'd just be happy with film. It's odd to me that he hasn't. I imagine it's because orchestras like to be paid and with his current band, he can probably get away with $500, a couple 12 packs of beer, and a hummus and veggie plate per night.
Hi G23, I really agree about Moz and orchestra. It was my suggestion in the thread about what bands you would like 'Himself' to record with.

Not sure whether there’s been a lot of speculation regarding guest vocalists, but it would be great if they were relatively high profile indie artists like the lead singer of Maximo Park, or the guy from that band the Dears - anyone remember them? Can’t remember his name but they did a track called ‘Lost in the Plot’ which was epic - and he sounds so much like Morrissey in that song. Not sure whether there’s still going, and couldn’t get into the album, but that track was a amazing

One of my most prized possessions is a Portishead's Roseland NYC Live DVD. I think it is an excellent idea to bring a live orchestra into the mix. I have always thought the addition of a live string section would add a depth of emotion to the music beyond the greatness that already exists. Especially the slower tempo songs like That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore.

“We are not The Smiths, but we are certainly not to be missed by anyone whose lives were defined – and are still being defined – by the enduring sounds of one of the UK’s finest ever bands. This is the celebration of that.”

A celebration, well there is certainly nothing wrong with that. They may not have have written the music, but then, well...ermmm... neither did Morrissey, but I go to see him. Maybe they could work out one of those hologram things to have Morrissey superimposed on the stage. Just a thought.

Just remembered the Stranglers did a similar thing at the Albert Hall without Hugh, that wa also made into a DVD and CD, I have both and they are great.

Siouxsie can't carry a tune in a bucket anymore. It's sad, really. When the Banshees had their last gasp in 2003 or 4? I left about 6-7 songs in because it was less depressing to go have drinks than listen to Sioux trying to stay in key. (And her Meltdown appearance solo wasn't a lot better.) I love her, but unless a miracle happened, facts are facts.

I caught one or her solo shows in London 2007-8, I think. Have to agree with you. She didn’t play a great many Banshees numbers either. I think she did a couple to start with, practically all of her solo LP and then rounded it out with another Banshees track for the encore. Wouldn’t really have minded, but the show suffered from pacing issues because of this.

Just remembered the Stranglers did a similar thing at the Albert Hall without Hugh, that wa also made into a DVD and CD, I have both and they are great.

For some reason it doesn't allow me to play it here in the states and I couldn't find this version on youtube, but I like the song. The singer's style reminds me a little of Lou Reed, which I quite like.

I don't think it's anywhere near as desperate as some of the attention-seeking stunts Morrissey has pulled in recent years. Trolling murdered children in Norway. Trying to bully his record company into giving him a 'number one single' on the back of the Paris atrocity. Accusing a traffic policeman who had the audacity to ask for his papers (just like everyone else) of trying to kill him. Different musical tastes are just that, and not everything will appeal to everyone. But if you're talking desperate, Morrissey is in a league of his own.

Actually, I agree with you 100%, this doesn't compare in the desperation stakes... though I think the "desperation" is coming from two different places. In Morrissey's case it's desperation for publicity, in this case it's a desperate attempt at cashing in.

Actually, I agree with you 100%, this doesn't compare in the desperation stakes... though I think the "desperation" is coming from two different places. In Morrissey's case it's desperation for publicity, in this case it's a desperate attempt at cashing in.

Nah. The way not to do a cynical cash-grab is to take orchestra round the country with you. That's a lot of hotel rooms.

How long until we get a Statement from Morrissey about this?

Weeeeelllll... I don't know, I'm keeping an open mind about that. I think if it turns out to be musically interesting with decent, creative arrangements then it will have been a valid project. I don't see why they shouldn't do it - it's not as if they're stealing a march on Morrissey and Johnny because that was never going to happen. I wish them well with it, but it seems to be dividing a lot of people on here.

Weeeeelllll... I don't know, I'm keeping an open mind about that. I think if it turns out to be musically interesting with decent, creative arrangements then it will have been a valid project. I don't see why they shouldn't do it - it's not as if they're stealing a march on Morrissey and Johnny because that was never going to happen. I wish them well with it, but it seems to be dividing a lot of people on here.
I just fail to see the point in doing this without the guitar sound of The Smiths, which is kind of sort of, maybe, just possibly 40% of what made The Smiths sound like The Smiths. (The other 40 being voice. ;) ) Same reason I think Morrissey's solo band doesn't have what it takes to play the songs either. But hey, incomplete songs with an orchestra, or incomplete songs with a band that plays them somehow worse than numerous tribute acts! WHICH ONE COULD I POSSIBLY WANT TO CHOOSE? Torturous!

I reckon Steve would be pisser bent as a nine-bob note about this. I reckon out of sight out of mind when Uncle Steve's hardest decision nowadays is habanero or Maui onion and being first in line at 5:00 for potato taco Tuesday at The Sunset Marquis. I reckon the only way Steve would like this is if it was a mariachi band instead of some Brittish orchestra.

Not sure whether there’s been a lot of speculation regarding guest vocalists, but it would be great if they were relatively high profile indie artists like the lead singer of Maximo Park, or the guy from that band the Dears - anyone remember them? Can’t remember his name but they did a track called ‘Lost in the Plot’ which was epic - and he sounds so much like Morrissey in that song. Not sure whether there’s still going, and couldn’t get into the album, but that track was a amazing

They are still going, line ups changed with him and his wife being the mainstay creative force, and in my mind got better and better so I’d love to see him guest. They’ve released I think five albums since no cites left which has the song you referenced and having seen him live I think would work really well

Does Morrissey need to approve?

I physically cringed when I read this today. The word "reunion" being attached to the name of The Smiths is so wrong. This is akin to the Sweet Sensations touring as Elvis.

Then I read about guest singers and that just about sealed it. The Hacienda Classics has proven that there is money to be squeezed out of this sponge, and that's just what people will see if they go. Not a sight for me.

He tried it during the recordings of Ringleader and didn't like it.

I'm just irritated because for years I've been wanting Morrissey to play with an orchestra. I don't even need to be there, I'd just be happy with film. It's odd to me that he hasn't. I imagine it's because orchestras like to be paid and with his current band, he can probably get away with $500, a couple 12 packs of beer, and a hummus and veggie plate per night.

Boy. This is going to cock up any real reunion with M&M in'it?

total desperation. lawnmowers probably spend all their settlement money... can you believe that? they are broke AGAIN!!!
they are going to put a nancy orchestra behind the thing to cover up the fact they cant play anymore. a ORCHESTRA?? Moz has to get the solicitor to give this "classical smiths" a good look.:straightface::paranoid:

It's always shit when you throw an orchestra on top. That Elvis LP with the philharmonic was shit. Also when they did the same thing with Roy Orbison. I have no interest in this. They should try to get on the BBC with it, they usually love shit like that. But it will be shit. To reiterate

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom