Cliff Richard interview about Morrissey support slot - BBC News

Being broadcast on Radio 5 Live in a bit. Up All Night.

Cliff is being interviewed from his humasexual house in Barbados. Where boys run freely on the beach while he sips a Pina Colada and reminisces about Una Stubbs.

It's all very Rik from the Young Ones

I may be mistaken, and I apologize if I am, but I have a vague memory of Moz making derogatory comments about Cliff back in the 90s. I seem to recall the word "vile" being used. But times have changed and I think there are a few similarities. I don't think Cliff is too strange a choice for a support slot. They both have a huge and fiercely loyal fan-base while being considered largely irrelevant, slightly comical and anachronistic by everyone else; they're both a little cagey about their sexuality(Cliff more so. He's always been utterly mendacious on the matter) and I've sensed for a while that Moz may be tragically Jesus bound. I've always thought there was a lot less irony in I Have Forgiven Jesus than most seemed to assume. And let's not forget how much Moz has always loved an eccentric figure of ridicule on the wane. Cliff certainly ticks that box. Tom Jones, on the other hand, is a positively surreal choice. A macho, sweaty and grunting cabaret singer. Euuuurgh......

Perhaps the reason is Harry Webb's chart presence - number 1s in 5 or 6 different decades.

Or maybe Morrissey wants to regale the crowds at Wimbledon during a rain break like Cliff did in 1996.

Either way nothing changes the fact that Cliff is an establishment c*** of the highest order... Friends with the Blairs, Maggies favourite singer and a Royal arselicker.

Clearly he shouldn't be friends with Victoria Wood CBE. Or meat-eating Alan Bennett. What a naïve and simplistic world you live in; one in which you also seem to believe every utterance of the British justice system must be true. What utter nonsense you spout.

Was Judge Weeks wrong, Orson?

Q. He also has very strict vegetarian rules surrounding the gigs - will you be going vegetarian for the day?

A. Certainly not. No, of course not. I like to think he might eat some meat when I arrive, but I wouldn't expect him to. So I don't think he'd expect me to be vegetarian. If I found he was offended by people eating meat then I won't eat it in front of him. But I'll have a chicken curry afterwards.

Guuuurl, you in danger.

I didn't criticise him for his political viewpoint. I criticised him for not seemingly having a coherent political viewpoint. If you can shed any light on what it really is, I'd be grateful.

To me, he comes across as libertarian/borderline anarchist more than anything else. It baffles me when people still categorize him as strictly a leftist, for while that may be a fair assessment of his politics as a young man, it hasn't accurately reflected his views for quite some time.

Consider his consistent and utter disdain for government and the political establishment, which has informed his art and his politics from the beginning and only became more potent as the years rolled on. If his many anti-government (sometimes borderline seditious) outbursts were limited to the Thatcher years, that would be one thing. But his vitriol runs across the board, regardless of who is in charge, and he clearly abhors what he perceives as a false left-right paradigm ("sick to death of Labour and Tories" etc. etc.). He also seems to have lost whatever faith he might have had in the government as a social regulator. He's definitely not a statist, if he ever was one to begin with; he seems to view the state as inherently violent and aggressive and is suspicious of its power to coerce and impose its will on the body politic. These are the views of someone who wants less government, not more. His egotistic exuberance for romanticized individualism, his remarks on immigration and multiculturalism over the years and his recent endorsement of UKIP comport with some right-libertarian ideologies. He's definitely become much more conservative over the years, at any rate---a development that possibly took root a lot earlier than one might expect (see: this interview from 1995 in which Moz is downright effusive about Conservative MP John Redwood).

tl;dr: Morrissey is probably some kind of libertarian.

Guuuurl, you in danger.

To me, he comes across as libertarian/borderline anarchist more than anything else. It baffles me when people still categorize him as strictly a leftist, for while that may be a fair assessment of his politics as a young man, it hasn't accurately reflected his views for quite some time.

Consider his consistent and utter disdain for government and the political establishment, which has informed his art and his politics from the beginning and only became more potent as the years rolled on. If his many anti-government (sometimes borderline seditious) outbursts were limited to the Thatcher years, that would be one thing. But his vitriol runs across the board, regardless of who is in charge, and he clearly abhors what he perceives as a false left-right paradigm ("sick to death of Labour and Tories" etc. etc.). He also seems to have lost whatever faith he might have had in the government as a social regulator. He's definitely not a statist, if he ever was one to begin with; he seems to view the state as inherently violent and aggressive and is suspicious of its power to coerce and impose its will on the body politic. These are the views of someone who wants less government, not more. His egotistic exuberance for romanticized individualism, his remarks on immigration and multiculturalism over the years and his recent endorsement of UKIP comport with some right-libertarian ideologies. He's definitely become much more conservative over the years, at any rate---a development that possibly took root a lot earlier than one might expect (see: this interview from 1995 in which Moz is downright effusive about Conservative MP John Redwood).

tl;dr: Morrissey is probably some kind of libertarian.

I've had dealings with John Redwood. He's a very impressive MP.

I would probably describe myself as a libertarian, and I think some of Morrissey's statements have pointed towards that from time to time.

Essentially, though, I think Morrissey is a Morrisseyite, having a strong belief in promoting a political system in which he takes precedence at all times.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps the reason is Harry Webb's chart presence - number 1s in 5 or 6 different decades.

Or maybe Morrissey wants to regale the crowds at Wimbledon during a rain break like Cliff did in 1996.

Either way nothing changes the fact that Cliff is an establishment c*** of the highest order... Friends with the Blairs, Maggies favourite singer and a Royal arselicker.

Precisely.

Was Judge Weeks wrong, Orson?

It was certainly a very selective three words to choose to describe a person. Can't we all be a bit unreliable, or even devious at times? You could easily pick three other words to describe him. Probably I don't regard him as particularly truculent either, actually. He may speak out on various issues, but I don't think that makes you an aggressive person. I'd say he was a flee-er, not a fighter.

Maybe moz just likes cliff Richards songs classics like- we don't talk anymore, batchelor boy, don't talk to him, or lucky lips( lisp)

This. (As we say here on the internet.) There's no real mystery to it. The reason is obvious. The subtext is clear.

Hand in Glove:
It's actually a Leiber & Stoller song Cliff had a hit with.
For fear of virtual flogging, I thought early Cliff had a bit of merit.
Certainly enough to play a formative part in Moz's mind in the '60's.

firey jack:
I don't think you are wrong.
My copy of: Scandal & Passion by David Bret is in storage, but I'm certain there is a section in there describing what you remember.
I'm sure someone in the know will recall it with better clarity.

Regards,
FWD

Maybe Cliff could do I Have Forgiven Jesus and Moz could do The Millenium Prayer...?

I'm not pro or against Cliff Richard but he seems an odd choice for 'special guest', albeit no more strange than Tom Jones. What makes me laugh is the way he is billed as 'Sir Cliff Richard'. This from the man who supposedly RUNS from meat eaters, but is ok with hanging out with people knighted by some old queen or other. Deliberate lower case there by the way. I must admit to being slightly confused by his logic these days. Or lack thereof. I'm hoping he takes the time to put together a decent album instead of focusing on yet more concerts that the world truly only needs if the songs are worth hearing.

Anyway at the end of the day its probably all about the font size on the 'tour poster' and nothing else. God forbid Moz would have someone worth listening to as his support (sorry I meant 'special guest'), like Martin Rossiter or James Maker (whom I happen to really like). But no, he goes for someone who doesn't know his name (or perhaps Moz was the frontman for The Jam and the rest of us are just confused) and someone who sounds like a cat drowning itself in a bag while having an epileptic fit on a Fisher Price keyboard that's running low on batteries and on autoplay.

Last edited:
Watching a video like this, it's obvious that bits of (Sir) Cliff Richard's vocal melodies, mannerisms and even lyrics became part of Morrissey's DNA as a youth. All the establishment stuff came later -- when it was too late for Moz to deny one of his musical fathers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cliff's last proper concert in NYC was in 1982, at the end of a 30+ gig tour. He actually had a very good run in the US/Canada from 1976 (Devil Woman) to the early 80's (We Don't Talk Anymore, Dreamin, and a few other hits.) So, he's more well known there than some people may realize. He has a loyal fanbase as already mentioned, and many of us will be gathering at the Morrissey gig from far ane wide across North America. We too think it's an odd combination of artists, but are looking forward to it. It will be such a treat to see Cliff on our turf again, many of us will be just returning from his European "Still Reeling and Rocking". And trust me, he can still rock !!!

Here's a bit of nostalgia - NYC, 1982. (not rock, but an old Beach Boys song Cliff used to close his concerts with.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWR8ozHL3oY

And don't forget Cliff Richard was allegedly "friends" with the Kray twins

Ronnie Kray’s letter of praise for Cliff Richard

Published: 20 October 2010
A Collection of personal items that belonged to gangster twins Ronnie and Reggie Kray has sold for more than £20,000 at auction.

They include a misspelt letter from Ronnie, who reveals delight at being contacted by Cliff Richard.

He writes from Brixton prison to biographer John Pearson: "I had a verry nice letter from Cliff Ritchards. It was marvoulas of him." The sale was held in Lewes, East Sussex, yesterday.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/ronnie-krays-letter-of-praise-for-cliff-richard-6527292.html

article-1318689-0AF78206000005DC-254_468x769.jpg

Cliff's last proper concert in NYC was in 1982, at the end of a 30+ gig tour. He actually had a very good run in the US/Canada from 1976 (Devil Woman) to the early 80's (We Don't Talk Anymore, Dreamin, and a few other hits.) So, he's more well known there than some people may realize. He has a loyal fanbase as already mentioned, and many of us will be gathering at the Morrissey gig from far ane wide across North America. We too think it's an odd combination of artists, but are looking forward to it. It will be such a treat to see Cliff on our turf again, many of us will be just returning from his European "Still Reeling and Rocking". And trust me, he can still rock !!!

Here's a bit of nostalgia - NYC, 1982. (not rock, but an old Beach Boys song Cliff used to close his concerts with.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWR8ozHL3oY

Correction to my own post above, this clip is from Cliff's last North American tour in 1981, not 1982.

Mork calling Orson, come in Orson !

Was Judge Weeks wrong ?

A) yes
B) no
C) I'm out of my depth can someone from the flock help me out on this one

Nanoo nanoo

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I already answered the question above. Unfortunately you clearly don't have the intellectual capacity to extrapolate the answer for yourself. Although you aspire to be a Barleycorn or a Brummie Boy, you're very much the c*** of the litter, I'm afraid.

Don't despair entirely though. There is a chance that one day in the far, far future, your dim-witted DNA may evolve over the course of many, many years to an extraordinary point in time where one of your ancestors eventually develops sufficient cognitive ability to actually log into a website.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom