Countdown to the new album - first indication of commercial/critical success

I think Istanbul and KMAL were a-listed on 6 music. Anyway, it's good news that Spent is on there now. It's not on the new Radio 2 playlist at all which is a bit of a surprise...

That's gratifying. Very, very gratifying.

Where is M E M when you need him? ;)

DLYCRwyX0AAypqN.jpg:large

Right underneath George Michael & Maroon 5 ~ cosy :brows:

Who knew Stereophonics had a new classic out? Caught By The Wind eh? That reminds me of my favourite Talbot Rothwell/Butterworth Carry On moment ~

:)

Last edited:
Where is M E M when you need him? ;)

DLYCRwyX0AAypqN.jpg:large

Right underneath George Michael & Maroon 5 ~ cosy :brows:

Who knew Stereophonics had a new classic out? Caught By The Wind eh? That reminds me of my favourite Talbot Rothwell/Butterworth Carry On moment ~

:)

MEM is still waiting for the list to appear on the Radio 2 website!
It seems to still be showing last week's. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/playlist
Did you get yours from somewhere else?
Hugely significant news if genuine!

Go it off The Twitter ~ Radio2's twitter.

Well, it's official. Spent the Day is indeed on the new Radio 2 A-list. www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/playlist
This is huge news for the commercial success of the album. Radio 2 is the UK's (and Europe's, apparently) most listened-to radio station. It means the album will almost inevitably outsell World Peace even if the reviews aren't great. Spent the Day will probably now become his best known (to the public) song since First of the Gang.
Still no chance of the album getting to number 1, but if there are another couple of good singles, it may well be his best selling album since Quarry. The record company will be breathing a big sigh of relief!

YES PEOPLE, the single is in the BBC list CHART!!! HUGE NEWS!! Buy more cds and singles so MOZ stay in the list and dont FALL OFF!! BUY BUY BUY and MORE BUY. Always BUY MOZ!!
so you can be in bed with no toss and turning!! HUGE SUCCESS and GOOD NEWS!!

So, with the airplay success of 'Spent' it looks like the album will do better than World Peace in its first week. WP sold about 20,000 (in the UK), I'd say LIHS will sell anything between 30,000 and 50,000 in Week 1. When an album sells 60,000 it is declared 'silver', at 100,000 it is 'gold' and 300,000 'platinum'. YOR managed silver (WP didn't), Ringleader went gold and Quarry platinum (a feat matched by only one Smiths studio album, TQID). I'd say Low in High School will get to platinum with the first push - whether it reaches gold or beyond depends on the success of future singles.
In terms of critical success, there have been 2 mini reviews to date. They both seem to say the live songs sound better recorded, and have praised one or two of the five songs we've yet to hear, but neither review is gushing with complaints about the production and the patchiness of some of the songs. It's hard to tell from just these 2 basic reviews but I'm guessing we're not looking at 5 star ratings and Mercury prize nominations. Will probably pick up 3 and 4 star ratings (out of 5) a bit like World Peace. Hopefully, we'll get the first proper published reviews within the next week.
And, yes, I know tons of people round here couldn't care less about sales and reviews - no urgent need to reiterate your views!

God loves a trier MeM :thumb:

So, with the airplay success of 'Spent' it looks like the album will do better than World Peace in its first week. WP sold about 20,000 (in the UK), I'd say LIHS will sell anything between 30,000 and 50,000 in Week 1. When an album sells 60,000 it is declared 'silver', at 100,000 it is 'gold' and 300,000 'platinum'. YOR managed silver (WP didn't), Ringleader went gold and Quarry platinum (a feat matched by only one Smiths studio album, TQID). I'd say Low in High School will get to platinum with the first push - whether it reaches gold or beyond depends on the success of future singles.
In terms of critical success, there have been 2 mini reviews to date. They both seem to say the live songs sound better recorded, and have praised one or two of the five songs we've yet to hear, but neither review is gushing with complaints about the production and the patchiness of some of the songs. It's hard to tell from just these 2 basic reviews but I'm guessing we're not looking at 5 star ratings and Mercury prize nominations. Will probably pick up 3 and 4 star ratings (out of 5) a bit like World Peace. Hopefully, we'll get the first proper published reviews within the next week.
And, yes, I know tons of people round here couldn't care less about sales and reviews - no urgent need to reiterate your views!
The Hatful Of Hollow went Platinum in 1987 and was The Smiths first

God loves a trier MeM :thumb:

Well I predicted reviews of between 3 and 4 stars (out of 5).
Uncut has given him 2.5! Must admit the song titles of the ones we haven't heard
The Hatful Of Hollow went Platinum in 1987 and was The Smiths first

Yes indeed, as did a few of the other Smiths compilation albums. It's a bit easier for compilations to go Platinum as they compile the best bits. But the only one of the 4 studio albums to go Platinum is the Queen is Dead.

Anyway, the first proper review of LIHS is in (see other thread). It's a bit bitchy (a bitchy music journalist - there's a thing!), doesn't mention the standout song (Home is a ?), and lays into the lyrics of Spent the Day in Bed (which I think are pretty good except the bus/boss/train/rain bit).
But it does confirm my fears of the unheard songs - a bizarre obsession with Israel and too many unsubtle sexual references. I think it'll probably still get mainly 3s and 4s out of 5. Oddly, the album will probably be most enjoyable for non-English speakers who can focus more on the great music and the lovely singing voice.

Well I predicted reviews of between 3 and 4 stars (out of 5).
Uncut has given him 2.5! Must admit the song titles of the ones we haven't heard

Yes indeed, as did a few of the other Smiths compilation albums. It's a bit easier for compilations to go Platinum as they compile the best bits. But the only one of the 4 studio albums to go Platinum is the Queen is Dead.

I am pretty sure that one had to sell much more copies than today to get silver/gold/platinium.

Well, the second proper review is out now (in Mojo). It's an odd one - reads like a 4/5 but gets a 3.
I'm pretty certain that nearly all the reviews will range between 2 and 4 stars (or 5 and 8/10).
Won't go any lower because the music's too good, won't go any higher because the words are sometimes too duff.
It's virtually guaranteed to outsell World Peace like for like (i.e. first few weeks) thanks to 'Spent the Day in Bed', and will sell many more if there is at least one more radio-friendly single.

Well, the second proper review is out now (in Mojo). It's an odd one - reads like a 4/5 but gets a 3.
I'm pretty certain that nearly all the reviews will range between 2 and 4 stars (or 5 and 8/10).
Won't go any lower because the music's too good, won't go any higher because the words are sometimes too duff.
It's virtually guaranteed to outsell World Peace like for like (i.e. first few weeks) thanks to 'Spent the Day in Bed', and will sell many more if there is at least one more radio-friendly single.

I'm kinda curious as to what the non u.k reviews will look like. Ones where morrissey the person isn't so wrapped up in the cultural identity. I know there was the French review but that was an odd review all around hard to make sense of

Well, 'Spent the Day in Bed' remains glued to the A-list of Radio 2 – THE UK and Europe’s most popular radio station – for the 3rd week running. This all but guarantees much better first week sales (and sales generally) than World Peace, and relief all round for the record company. Great news for those of us that want it do well – terrible news for the Moz hater-bots. Let's hope it doesn’t ruin their weekends.

Well, 'Spent the Day in Bed' remains glued to the A-list of Radio 2 – THE UK and Europe’s most popular radio station – for the 3rd week running. This all but guarantees much better first week sales (and sales generally) than World Peace, and relief all round for the record company. Great news for those of us that want it do well – terrible news for the Moz hater-bots. Let's hope it doesn’t ruin their weekends.

Hardly 'terrible' news. If the sales results are over 50k that will show that Morrissey's fan base are old Boomers like himself, a demographic who still purchase CDs rather than use streaming services. This would mean he is not connecting with a younger demographic. It will certainly be a success for the record company if repeated plays of one song on Radio 2 translate to exceptional sales despite so-so reviews to date. What matters is the how the sales of LIHS do after the first week once hard-core fans like you have purchased 12 different versions. Is Morrissey now a perennial niche artist guaranteed to sell anything to his core fan-base or can he re-connect with the masses so that his CDs are sold in supermarkets and petrol stations alongside Taylor Swift, Adele & Ed Sheeran. Be in no doubt that Morrissey thinks his products should have shelf-space in retail outlets...let's wait and see. How exciting this debate is! *rollseyes*

Back
Top Bottom