Craig Gannon censored ?

soloyan

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if it's already been debated but listening to the recent "The Queen is Dead" live downloads, I couldn't help but notice that Craig Gannon is (almost) nowhere to be heard. Very low in the mixes when heard.

It seemed to me that Johnny like the sound of the Smiths on this tour (reading his autobiography). What happened, here ?

because Craig Gannon is a real guitar player, not some Byrds wannabe shootin hoops in his backyard in Portland, Oregon.

Nah - these haven't been retrospectively mixed to ditch Gannon, they are live to cassette soundboard mixes from Grant Showbiz's archive. If Gannon is low in the mix it's because that was the mix at the show. He was only ever filling in the gaps in the sound that Johnny couldn't reproduce. He was never going to be mixed louder than Johnny..

All I remember is that Moz hated his guts and made fun of his name.

Nah - these haven't been retrospectively mixed to ditch Gannon, they are live to cassette soundboard mixes from Grant Showbiz's archive. If Gannon is low in the mix it's because that was the mix at the show. He was only ever filling in the gaps in the sound that Johnny couldn't reproduce. He was never going to be mixed louder than Johnny..

Thanks. Well, too bad, then, because arrangements on this tour were clearly made for 2 guitars. It's nice to hear Johnny upfront and maybe more distinctively than on "Rank", as a document. But for a definitive '86 Smiths live testimony, the officila album remains the reference (Until the Boston show in the Deluxe set ?).

Thanks. Well, too bad, then, because arrangements on this tour were clearly made for 2 guitars. It's nice to hear Johnny upfront and maybe more distinctively than on "Rank", as a document. But for a definitive '86 Smiths live testimony, the officila album remains the reference (Until the Boston show in the Deluxe set ?).

I think you're right - Rank was recorded by the BBC which would have been multitrack and subject to post-mix. All of these other live shows we've been hearing are from mixing desk stereo cassette recordings that Grant Showbiz took, so unless the Boston show had a unique set up that allowed it to be recorded to multitrack (and subsequently mixed differently) then I think it will be the same mix with Marr up front and Gannon as background texture. It also explains why Moz is so high in the mix compared to Rank where his voice has been settled nicely into place amongst the instruments

I always though Morrissey was nice to him and Johnny was awful. Gannon is one of the few people who is retrospectively nice about Morrissey.

At the time, yes, it seems like Johnny and Craig fell out because Johnny didn't feel he was getting 100% commitment. But he seems to have got on well with Morrissey, and let's not forget he was re-hired after the Smiths split.

Fast forward to today, though, and Johnny is complimentary about Craig and apologetic about the way he was treated. But Craig made the mistake of asking to be paid for the work he did with the Smiths, so he got treated to a good few pages of character assassination in Autobiography.

At the time, yes, it seems like Johnny and Craig fell out because Johnny didn't feel he was getting 100% commitment. But he seems to have got on well with Morrissey, and let's not forget he was re-hired after the Smiths split.

Fast forward to today, though, and Johnny is complimentary about Craig and apologetic about the way he was treated. But Craig made the mistake of asking to be paid for the work he did with the Smiths, so he got treated to a good few pages of character assassination in Autobiography.

Oh I missed Johnny being complimentary and apologetic but I read the literary kicking Craig got from His Nibs.

Back
Top Bottom