David Cameron is PM

No because they are about to raise National Insurance for Employees (but not employers) therefore negating any tax benefit I would think...

You've got that the wrong way round.

The NI contribution is going up but will be paid by employers not employees.

Or maybe I've got it the wrong way round.

Hang on... edit coming.

EDIT Oh no, I was correct. Though I'm not sure whether that plan will do a great deal to help businesses (small businesses in particular) really. Still, for the time being it puts a little bit of money in alot of people's pockets who could do with it. And it's hard to argue against that.

Last edited:
You've got that the wrong way round.

The NI contribution is going up but will be paid by employers not employees.

Or maybe I've got it the wrong way round.

Hang on... edit coming.

EDIT Oh no, I was correct. Though I'm not sure whether that plan will do a great deal to help businesses (small businesses in particular) really. Still, for the time being it puts a little bit of money in alot of people's pockets who could do with it. And it's hard to argue against that.

You have got that completely the wrong way round - workers will pay the extra 1p in NI, Employers won't pay it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ele...dle-classes-pay-price-Tory-deal-Lib-Dems.html

It shows that the Tories are on the side of business - always have been, always will be. Remember the list of business leaders that said the planned 1% rise would cripple the recovery? Wasn't Sainsbury one of the businesses? Haven't they just posted a rise in profits of 17% - so, it's ok for their staff to pay higher taxes, but Sainsbury couldn't afford it.

Tax the rich

Dave

You have got that completely the wrong way round - workers will pay the extra 1p in NI, Employers won't pay it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ele...dle-classes-pay-price-Tory-deal-Lib-Dems.html

It shows that the Tories are on the side of business - always have been, always will be. Remember the list of business leaders that said the planned 1% rise would cripple the recovery? Wasn't Sainsbury one of the businesses? Haven't they just posted a rise in profits of 17% - so, it's ok for their staff to pay higher taxes, but Sainsbury couldn't afford it.

Tax the rich

Dave

Ah, right you are then.

Don't say 'Tax The Rich' though, we already do tax the rich quite alot.

I'll be honest, I don't really understand the logic in raising the minimum threshold for income tax & then raising NI.

Perhaps the Tories think that the underclass should pay less income tax because they spend more money on Lamberts & Special Brew.

Ah, right you are then.

Don't say 'Tax The Rich' though, we already do tax the rich quite alot.

I'll be honest, I don't really understand the logic in raising the minimum threshold for income tax & then raising NI.

Perhaps the Tories think that the underclass should pay less income tax because they spend more money on Lamberts & Special Brew.

The mathematics is fairly minimal to be honest - some will be better off and others worse off. The difference is political; by increasing the Income Tax threshold to £10,000 the Lib Dems can say "Look at us, removing the poorest from taxation - Labour didn't do that, aren't we great"

By only raising NI on employees and not employers the Tories can say "We are the party of business, we avoided the Labour job's tax" and the Lib Dems can say "By being in a coalition, we have managed to curb what the Tories wanted to do, we've reached compromise and we can protect public services - we are the party of radicalism."

It's all bollocks. The Tories will chip, chip, chip away - bringing in laws and regulations that gradually favour big business and the rich over poorer people. Austerity won't be one big cut, but a snip, snip, snip - how long will it be before they claim that a future rise in the minimum wage will affect the recovery? Or that the rate of the minimum wage is too high and is stifling enterprise - let's lower it to promote growth." And the Lib Dems will be powerless to stop it...

I wonder which Lib Dem MP will be the first to defect and cross the house to join Labour? I'll give this coalition 18months - 2 years.

Dave

Last edited:
The mathematics is fairly minimal to be honest - some will be better off and others worse off. The difference is political; by increasing the Income Tax threshold to £10,000 the Lib Dems can say "Look at us, removing the poorest from taxation - Labour didn't do that, aren't we great"

By only raising NI on employees and not employers the Tories can say "We are the party of business, we avoided the Labour job's tax" and the Lib Dems can say "By being in a coalition, we have managed to curb what the Tories wanted to do, we've reached compromise and we can protect public services - we are the party of radicalism."

It's all bollocks. The Tories will chip, chip, chip away - bringing in laws and regulations that gradually favour big business and the rich over poorer people. Austerity won't be one big cut, but a snip, snip, snip - how long will it be before they claim that a future rise in the minimum wage will affect the recovery? Or that the rate of the minimum wage is too high and is stifling enterprise - let's lower it to promote growth." And the Lib Dems will be powerless to stop it...

I wonder which Lib Dem MP will be the first to defect and cross the house to join Labour? I'll give this coalition 18months - 2 years.

Dave

Hmmm, that's an interesting one. I doubt it'll be anyone high profile. If the coalition only lasts for two years, I would expect that'll be long enough for the British (well let's not kid ourselves, English) to make up their minds.
To be honest, a few could cross the floor & not be missed.

Although I seriously disagree with the idea that the Tories will bring in laws & regulations that favour big business any more than Labour did. Except Tesco of course, in Labourland Tesco are evil.
They wouldn't put the minimum wage down (that would be their Poll Tax moment if they did) but they'll probably link it to whichever looks long term to be the lower (either inflation or the Retail Price Index)

Also worth remembering: Labour wanted to put up NI & not put up the tax threshold, I don't see why we should all kid ourselves that New Labour were the party of the people. And even if they were it would be 'the people' with ID cards flying from runway 3 Heathrow.

Last edited:
I was going to visit back hame sometime next year :straightface: but I think I will delay doing so til the Tories are back out of power :o
or Scotland tells England and its Conservative regime to stuff it :thumb:
so just let me know :cool:

OK, lets get this straight from the start, I have no interest in politics at all.

However I have always thought Gordon Brown was a complete cock, so I couldn't vote Labour and the Lib Dem bloke is a huge supporter of the cruel animal testing that is carried out in one of the Oxford Uni's (the reason why Mozza called Oxford the "Shame of Britain!") so I refused to vote for him which only left the Tories. Plus she is cute, which is a good enough reason on it's own :D

OK, lets get this straight from the start, I have no interest in politics at all.

However I have always thought Gordon Brown was a complete cock, so I couldn't vote Labour and the Lib Dem bloke is a huge supporter of the cruel animal testing that is carried out in one of the Oxford Uni's (the reason why Mozza called Oxford the "Shame of Britain!") so I refused to vote for him which only left the Tories. Plus she is cute, which is a good enough reason on it's own :D

Who's cute? Is there potentially an MP frink thread?

Dave

There's a couple of lookers on the front row...
The-class-of-2010-MPs-ele-001.jpg

Dave

I like the guy with the fancy side chops.

I was thinking more about the woman in the red dress in the middle on the front row (no idea who she is), or the ex-GMTV presenter 8th from the right in the silver suit :love:

Was this bloke right all along? :lbf:

Dave

Hes hotter than his brother isn't he? There was a focus group on newsnight last night that thought otherwise:crazy:

Anyway obviously I am supporting his Labour Leadership bid because of his political acumen not his looks:o

I was thinking more about the woman in the red dress in the middle on the front row (no idea who she is), or the ex-GMTV presenter 8th from the right in the silver suit :love:

Was this bloke right all along? :lbf:

Dave
Thats hilarious - I didn't know about that!
I would be offended but its true really - I know plenty of people (male and female) that are swayed by image...with intelligence coming in second of course:D

I was going to visit back hame sometime next year :straightface: but I think I will delay doing so til the Tories are back out of power :o
or Scotland tells England and its Conservative regime to stuff it :thumb:
so just let me know :cool:

These are not the sentiments of a true scot,robby.We enjoy suffering..

If it's us suffering, even better.:D

However, this really isn't a scotland/england issue anyway since it's been pretty much established that there are alot of people down south who are unhappy with the conservatives gaining power aswell,the worst part is they won't be giving the opportunity (or just simply aren't in the position) to collectively say 'f*** this' via the polling booth and wave sayanora.

I still find it extremely odd that the conservatives are working along side the lib dems,who came third?

'The ConDemn(ed) goverment'.
Ah,I'm waiting for a newspaper somewhere to use that term when it all goes horribly wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
'The ConDemn(ed) goverment'.
Ah,I'm waiting for a newspaper somewhere to use that term when it all goes horribly wrong.

They'll have to exhaust their supply of Ed Balls puns first now he's running for leader. I can't see us in five years time having Prime Minister Balls can you?

It's just occured to me that alot of people are pinpointing the election result as a reason why 'first past the post' doesn't work & that we should replace it with Proportional Representation so that the minority parties may gain a voice.

Minority parties like the Lib Dems for instance.

They'll have to exhaust their supply of Ed Balls puns first now he's running for leader. I can't see us in five years time having Prime Minister Balls can you?

It's just occured to me that alot of people are pinpointing the election result as a reason why 'first past the post' doesn't work & that we should replace it with Proportional Representation so that the minority parties may gain a voice.

Minority parties like the Lib Dems for instance.
Yes they are and I don't really understand this view. The Guardian worked out the votes using all methods and the tories won no matter what and since the Lib Dems great polling during the debtes didn't translate into actual votes I'm not sure how much difference Proportional Representation would have made to the hung parliament situation...

Back
Top Bottom