Depeche Mode has finished recording the new album - 18 songs recorded

The Seeker of Good Songs

Depeche Mode has finished recording work on the band's forthcoming studio album, its first since 2005's "Playing the Angel."
"We’ve completed the record," the band’s frontman, Dave Gahan, told Pop & Hiss on Thursday via phone from New York. "There might be a couple of bits and pieces we’ve got to clean up, but I feel really good about the fact that we’re finished," he continued. "I think we’ve made a great record."
Gahan said the as-yet-untitled album, slated for release this coming spring, will have about 12 tracks.
"We’ve been spoiled for choice with this one because we recorded more songs for this record than we ever had for any [other] record," he said. "Maybe I’m old school or whatever but once you start going over 12 songs, I think it becomes a little weird."
Gahan confirmed the 2009 disc, which will be the first for EMI in the U.S. (the band has been releasing albums for Warner Music Group in North America for much of its career), will contain the tracks "Wrong" and "Peace," snippets of which have been circulating the Web. Gahan, however, clarified that the actual title of "Peace" is "Peace Will Come to Me."
Additionally, he unveiled the titles of three more new tracks -- "Hole to Feed," "Comeback" and "In Chains," all co-written by Gahan -- that are likely set for inclusion on the album. Gahan added that the recording sessions, which took place over the last several months in New York and Santa Barbara, were productive and that he and the act's principal songwriter, Martin Gore, are working well together.
"We have about 18 songs," he said, even hinting that the band will release a special EP or online-only add-on with the extra material next year.

But Gahan stressed that the EMI release will be just that — a proper record that doesn’t run too long.
Said Gahan: "I’ve been listening to the current play list, and I’m always still thinking of an album like Side 1, and Side 2. It’s like when you see a movie or something, and it goes over two hours and you’re like 'OK, I get it.' "
So what will the new material sound like? Rolling Stone last month ran an "In the Studio" featuring the band, on which Gore was quoted saying the set has a "spiritual" feel.
"I know what [Martin] means by that, but if anyone’s thinking that the record will have a Gospel feel, it couldn’t be further from that," Gahan said. "I feel like [the record] is [about] looking outside and a yearning for somehow coming together. The world is changing. Watching Obama getting elected was great. We watched it on TV in Santa Barbara and I get goosebumps thinking about that still. It’s going to take a long time, but I think some of that same feeling, that sentiment [of hope] is in the work."
And though the band is increasingly fond of using guitars, the new disc may see a return to the Depeche Mode's original analog synth roots -- at least on a few tracks.
"Martin’s got this new fetish which is basically buying gear on EBay," Gahan said. "He must have bought up half of the analog equipment around the world. We’ve got all these old drum machines from the 1970s, and even some of the stuff that we used in the '80s as well, like old Moogs and Arps."
As an example, Gahan noted that one of the new album's stars is a piece of gear dubbed "The Colonel" - a vintage 1970s-era SteinerParker synthesizer. It's an instrument, said Gahan, "that makes crazy noises. We found it really inspiring and used it in a lot of things [on the new record]."
Depeche Mode announced portions of its 2009 "Tour of the Universe" earlier this year and is set to reveal U.S. dates in the coming weeks. Depeche Mode has maintained a strong fan base in the L.A.-area, thanks to such famed concerts as the 1988 Rose Bowl sellout captured in the film "Depeche Mode 101." The band last played Southern California in 2006 at the Coachella music & arts festival.
"We had a great time on stage that night," Gahan gushed. "It was one of those gigs where you just feel like you’re floating on air. I was singing great, the atmosphere was great, everything was right. It was very special."
While Depeche Mode’s famously devoted fans await new music and tour dates, they have been busy bemoaning the fact that the band’s music has turned up in a Hilary Duff song. Her "Reach Out" heavily samples the band’s "Personal Jesus."
"I don’t know what I think about it.... It’s a little weird," laughed Gahan. "I think it was something that Martin didn’t really have any choice over, they kind of did it anyway. But, you know, it is what it is. Look, my daughter loves it. You know what she said to me? 'But it’s not the same, Dad.' "

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2008/12/depeche-mode-fi.html

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
New York Studio Photos

Here are some photos from our latest recording sessions at Chung King studios in New York. As the year is coming to an end, we’re in the final phases of mixing with Ben Hillier, Daniel Miller and Tony Hoffer and are nearly finished with the new album.

Next year will be a very busy one; once we complete the final mixing of the album, it’ll be mastered and prepared for release. Our recording sessions have been unfolding smoothly and productively - in fact, we have a few extra tracks that won’t appear on the album but we’ll update you with more info on that soon.

We have even recently finished filming the video for our first single in New York this week. It’s an exciting and innovative video and we look forward to releasing it in the New Year.

February of next year will be dedicated to making the press rounds across the universe and starting production rehearsals in both New York City and Santa Barbara. Keep your eyes and ears open for upcoming warm-up gigs.

That's it for now. Keep checking back for more information and updates as well as new additions to the site.

Happy Holidays

nyc_studio_image_1_800.jpg

nyc_studio_image_2_800.jpg

Tiny snippets of two of the new songs (Wrong and Peace Will Come To Me)

Wrong sounds awesome from what (little) I can tell- almost sounds like they're sampling some of the music from 2001: A Space Odyssey at the start. It's not enough of a sample for me to decide if I like the music on Peace or not, but Gahan and Gore's vocal melody wins me over.

I'm more excited about the new DM album than I am Years of Refusal. Can't wait to hear more (and see them live again).

Tiny snippets of two of the new songs (Wrong and Peace Will Come To Me)

Wrong sounds awesome from what (little) I can tell- almost sounds like they're sampling some of the music from 2001: A Space Odyssey at the start. It's not enough of a sample for me to decide if I like the music on Peace or not, but Gahan and Gore's vocal melody wins me over.

I'm more excited about the new DM album than I am Years of Refusal. Can't wait to hear more (and see them live again).

I am equally excited for DM & Moz's albums and tours :D

Man, 'Wrong' and 'Peace' sound goooood!:guitar: More snippets please:D

I am equally excited for DM & Moz's albums and tours :D

Man, 'Wrong' and 'Peace' sound goooood!:guitar: More snippets please:D

I wish I had more too! :( Those bits were played before a recent DM press conference, or something like that. I believe that's all we've got so far (though I'd love to be proven wrong).

It's really nowhere near enough to make assumptions about the album sound, but it's got me very excited about it nonetheless. It almost sounds like Martyr would fit well with these two (which I think is nothing but a good thing, as the song was fantastic but I think was rightly left off Playing The Angel).

Apropos of the Mode, the next Manchester Mode Night is in late February. Any takers?

you really actually like most of their post violator crap? :eek:

Right. Why are you posting in this thread if you don't like the Mode? It's pretty simple. Every post from now on you make will result in me retaliating and hijacking your useless threads in off topic. Stay off it.

Right. Why are you posting in this thread if you don't like the Mode? It's pretty simple. Every post from now on you make will result in me retaliating and hijacking your useless threads in off topic. Stay off it.
i like tons of dm, but very little after violator thats still a lot
but id be happy to listen to few post violator suggestions thread hijacker :)

It's nice to find some fellow Depeche Mode fans on here ! :)

As much as I love Morrissey, and have seen him countless times over the last
20 years or so, Depeche Mode are by far my favourite band.
The Tour Of The Universe is the event of next year for me.

As for this Robby fella, I assume you're just trying to be clever and provoke reactions ? I'm certainly not going to try and re educate you if you think anything post Violator is crap.

Your loss............................;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depeche Mode has finished recording work on the band's forthcoming studio album, its first since 2005's "Playing the Angel."
"We’ve completed the record," the band’s frontman, Dave Gahan, told Pop & Hiss on Thursday via phone from New York. "There might be a couple of bits and pieces we’ve got to clean up, but I feel really good about the fact that we’re finished," he continued. "I think we’ve made a great record."
Gahan said the as-yet-untitled album, slated for release this coming spring, will have about 12 tracks.
"We’ve been spoiled for choice with this one because we recorded more songs for this record than we ever had for any [other] record," he said. "Maybe I’m old school or whatever but once you start going over 12 songs, I think it becomes a little weird."
Gahan confirmed the 2009 disc, which will be the first for EMI in the U.S. (the band has been releasing albums for Warner Music Group in North America for much of its career), will contain the tracks "Wrong" and "Peace," snippets of which have been circulating the Web. Gahan, however, clarified that the actual title of "Peace" is "Peace Will Come to Me."
Additionally, he unveiled the titles of three more new tracks -- "Hole to Feed," "Comeback" and "In Chains," all co-written by Gahan -- that are likely set for inclusion on the album. Gahan added that the recording sessions, which took place over the last several months in New York and Santa Barbara, were productive and that he and the act's principal songwriter, Martin Gore, are working well together.
"We have about 18 songs," he said, even hinting that the band will release a special EP or online-only add-on with the extra material next year.

But Gahan stressed that the EMI release will be just that — a proper record that doesn’t run too long.
Said Gahan: "I’ve been listening to the current play list, and I’m always still thinking of an album like Side 1, and Side 2. It’s like when you see a movie or something, and it goes over two hours and you’re like 'OK, I get it.' "
So what will the new material sound like? Rolling Stone last month ran an "In the Studio" featuring the band, on which Gore was quoted saying the set has a "spiritual" feel.
"I know what [Martin] means by that, but if anyone’s thinking that the record will have a Gospel feel, it couldn’t be further from that," Gahan said. "I feel like [the record] is [about] looking outside and a yearning for somehow coming together. The world is changing. Watching Obama getting elected was great. We watched it on TV in Santa Barbara and I get goosebumps thinking about that still. It’s going to take a long time, but I think some of that same feeling, that sentiment [of hope] is in the work."
And though the band is increasingly fond of using guitars, the new disc may see a return to the Depeche Mode's original analog synth roots -- at least on a few tracks.
"Martin’s got this new fetish which is basically buying gear on EBay," Gahan said. "He must have bought up half of the analog equipment around the world. We’ve got all these old drum machines from the 1970s, and even some of the stuff that we used in the '80s as well, like old Moogs and Arps."
As an example, Gahan noted that one of the new album's stars is a piece of gear dubbed "The Colonel" - a vintage 1970s-era SteinerParker synthesizer. It's an instrument, said Gahan, "that makes crazy noises. We found it really inspiring and used it in a lot of things [on the new record]."
Depeche Mode announced portions of its 2009 "Tour of the Universe" earlier this year and is set to reveal U.S. dates in the coming weeks. Depeche Mode has maintained a strong fan base in the L.A.-area, thanks to such famed concerts as the 1988 Rose Bowl sellout captured in the film "Depeche Mode 101." The band last played Southern California in 2006 at the Coachella music & arts festival.
"We had a great time on stage that night," Gahan gushed. "It was one of those gigs where you just feel like you’re floating on air. I was singing great, the atmosphere was great, everything was right. It was very special."
While Depeche Mode’s famously devoted fans await new music and tour dates, they have been busy bemoaning the fact that the band’s music has turned up in a Hilary Duff song. Her "Reach Out" heavily samples the band’s "Personal Jesus."
"I don’t know what I think about it.... It’s a little weird," laughed Gahan. "I think it was something that Martin didn’t really have any choice over, they kind of did it anyway. But, you know, it is what it is. Look, my daughter loves it. You know what she said to me? 'But it’s not the same, Dad.' "

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2008/12/depeche-mode-fi.html

The 2 short songs from the video link sound great. Peace sounds like a Kraftwerk song.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom