Der Spiegel audio file of Morrissey interview released

Here you go. The recording of the interview.

Der Audiomitschnitt zum SPIEGEL-Interview mit Morrissey - Spiegel Online
Sänger Morrissey fühlt sich nach einem Interview mit dem SPIEGEL falsch zitiert und will nun nie wieder mit Printmedien sprechen. Hören Sie hier den Mitschnitt des Interviews.

English version:

The Audio of DER SPIEGEL's Interview with Morrissey
British pop singer Morrissey has accused DER SPIEGEL of falsely quoting him in a recently published interview. The magazine stands behind its reporting and has made the decision to post the audio online in response.

On Friday, Nov. 10, DER SPIEGEL culture reporter Juliane Liebert told her editors that she had been offered an interview with British popstar Morrissey and that a decision needed to be made quickly on whether to accept. We agreed: The former lead singer of The Smiths doesn't shy away from speaking his mind - and he also doesn't grant interviews very often.

The following Monday, Liebert flew to Los Angeles, where she was to interview Morrissey on Tuesday. The interview appointment got delayed several times before finally taking place on Wednesday and lasting 40 minutes. Edited versions of interviews published in DER SPIEGEL are usually authorized by the interview subject before publication, consistent with established procedure in German journalism. But in this instance, Morrissey's team elected to forego authorization.

After its publication on Nov. 18 in DER SPIEGEL, the interview (available behind the SPIEGEL Plus paywall in German) generated headlines not only in the German-language media. English publications like the Independent also wrote about Morrissey's statements regarding Trump, Brexit, the #MeToo debate and questions of national identity.

The musician then sought to distance himself from the published interview. "Unless you see the words form in my mouth and then you see or hear the words come out of my mouth... please, if you don't see that, I didn't say them," he told fans at a concert. He said he would never grant an interview to a print journalist again.

On Monday, Morrissey followed up with a post on his official Facebook page casting doubt on whether his statements had been reflected accurately by DER SPIEGEL. He also alleged that the fact that the magazine had not yet posted the raw audio of the interview was tantamount to an indirect admission of guilt.

To counter that claim, the editors of DER SPIEGEL have decided to post the audio of the interview online.

You can listen to the interview conducted with Morrissey in Los Angeles on Nov. 15 here:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Interview mp3 - yours to keep:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dx1c0j
(the exact file as used on the site).

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumour amongst many road crews is Morrissey is a bit of a miserly tight c***.

Oh yeah. In fact, I've always reckoned that Craig Gannon got the push because Morrissey didn't want to pay for an unnecessary extra musician.

Let’s get the rumour-mill going again, that will help things.

I hear the drummer from the Smiths feels like he was cheated out of some money :guitar:

Enjoyed the listen. Morrissey sounds quite relaxed and happy to talk, he voices his opinion as most people would in their local pub. What's the big issue?

I'm guessing the next move from camp Morrissey is to claim the interview has been edited? Or just no further comment at all? I think the above post nails it for me, storm in a teacup. I have spent 30 years enjoying his music while basically filtering out his vegetarianism sentiments, its white noise to me. Its an opinion I just don't agree with (I'm pro-eating meat, anti-animal cruelty, which I know is a complete contradiction to a lot of people, but eh, whatever, thats another topic). Point is, Morrissey has displayed these beliefs I don't agree with for a long time but I love his music, thats what I follow along for, the stuff I don't like is just white noise (droning on about the Monarchy etc). This is no different, he has some shit opinions I don't agree with but, eh...
The difference to me is he hasn't (as far as we know) actually *done* something shitty. Now if it came out that he was the Kevin Spacey type or something, that would be a different line for me.

Personally I think he just has trouble picking out finer details, he likes to make big sweeping statements, partly I'm sure because it creates controversy and gets people talking about him, and partly because I just think he has a really weird view of the world. I've known people like this before in person. They're absolutely against victim blaming and sex abuse and all of that, they 100% are. Yet they also want to express that the accused has a right to fair judgement by law. I heard someone say the way we handle alleged victims shouldn't be that we automatically believe them instantly, but we should take their claims very seriously and it should be investigated. I have heard less articulate people butcher views like that and come across sounding like they mean something they don't actually mean. Morrissey to me fits this in a lot of ways. Yes, he's poetic and he can use language beautifully, but that doesn't always mean he's overly articulate and conveys meaning well. It's one thing to sit and ponder over lyrics or answers via text and spell out exactly what you want. But on the spot in person some people can be terrible at it. Morrissey, as well all know, is also pretty blunt and not always the most empathetic person. I think he can be quite oblivious to the way he comes across a lot of the time and to him he thinks he is putting out what he means, but its delivered poorly.
So I don't think he is all bad and evil, I think it's a bit of a storm in a tea cup. It is absolutely problematic, but not an awful person. With how he's said what he's said, I don't agree with it, but I don't think its THAT bad. The one thing that is bad, is how he's handling it. He's a stubborn bastard. But the problem here is this site has people who have the knives out for him at every turn. People who are wanking over every bit of bad publicity that comes his way or that he creates and he can do no right. Then there are those who defend him at every turn who believe he can do no wrong. Clearly the answer is somewhere in the middle.

a fan since 1998 here. just wanted to say: great post! my feelings are similar. i just couldn't figure how to put it into words. thanks :)

If that's what upset him, then why drag Der Spiegel through the mud requesting the audio of the interview? Der Spiegel didn't tell the NME to run a story using his quotes out of context. He said "If you didn't hear me say it, then I didn't say it." Well, we've all heard him say it now.

First he was critised for not responding immediately after the interview was published. He stated after two weeks he asked for the tape more then once but not receiving any reaction.

It might be true or not and Der Spiegel could deny receiving any such request.

But they did take THEIR time and even that “it’s available”statement was not completely true. To whom?
Not to Moz apparently.

They both could have dealt with it without publicly making a statement.

Why didn’t they send him the tape but waited that long? And than publish it. If he wanted to check what he said on tape just to be cautious before publicly making a statement about it, what’s wrong with that?

First he was critised for not responding immediately after the interview was published. He stated after two weeks he asked for the tape more then once but not receiving any reaction.

It might be true or not and Der Spiegel could deny receiving any such request.

But they did take THEIR time and even that “it’s available”statement was not completely true. To whom?
Not to Moz apparently.

They both could have dealt with it without publicly making a statement.

Why didn’t they send him the tape but waited that long? And than publish it. If he wanted to check what he said on tape just to be cautious before publicly making a statement about it, what’s wrong with that?
They probably had to get it checked with their legal team first. Lawyers deliberately drag things out.

What does the Blue Rose Society say about all this. As we all know after True-to-you.net went offline, BRS and the Following the Mozziah blog are Morrissey's online mouthpiece.

Sieg Heil

The story is already getting locked up by the media. By tomorrow it will probably be everywhere. Both CNN and BBC have reported on his Facebook statement but haven't updated since the audio release.

https://pitchfork.com/news/german-newssite-releases-audio-of-controversial-morrissey-interview-listen/

Does the general public honestly give a flying f***? I believe the phrase used to be it will be tomorrow's wrapping paper down the chippy. Cut between the hyperbole and a pop star has lied about some dodgy opinions. It's hardly Bowie giving fascist salutes and/or Eric Clapton praising Enoch Powell. (Well actualky on second thoughts its not that far removed from the Clapton Enoch Powell thing....)

What it does do is keep the Morrissey publicity campaign alive. All news is good news and all that:D:lbf::straightface: Although this has to rank as one of the worst PR campaigns since, ur, Kevin Spacey came out.

i agree with 98.4% of what was said by him in this interview. i wouldve asked him at the end of the interview what he thinks about the usa most likely being the biggest spanish-speaking country in 2050.
As an American, I say Muy bueno! Mas pan dulce y dulche de leche por mi y mi amigos!
It's the angry elderlies causing much of the problems and hateful policies anyway. As they die off, so too, does a percentage of their hate that they could not foist off onto the younger generations.

You are all acting as if he cares/ if will effect him/ruin his career/fans won't like him. The same ones who told him to f off all went to his concert. He is human Teflon. It makes you mad doesn't it?
"And somebody here... will not be here next year.
Say the wrong words to our children, and we'll have you-
Oh yes, we'll have you."

Let's look at the numbers in the future, shall we?

Imo this is the more important question in this whole scenario. It's either extreme self punishment because the person who gave the answers obviously knows what was said or he genuinely believes that he didn't say all of those things. One doesn't quite know which possibility is the better one.

I've wondered that as well. It seems like Morrissey is still living in this 1980's world of media journalism. One where he could be as flippant and outrageous as he wants in interviews, and when it wasn't received well, pull back and claim it's not what he said, taken out of context, etc. If this had happened in 1987 think how difficult it would've have been for a publication to widely distribute the actual audio recording. It just wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:
Yeah, he said he didn't say what certain insecure attackers were trying to say he said when they wanted to defame him and attribute violent crimes to him. That's reasonable. So is commenting about rape capitals and victims. But Pokey is a callous little meat eater.
I like Mozzer's outspokenness. He should keep it up. I can't stand insecure trolls who think that they've been raped when the issue is discussed, but when someone really rapes them they don't call the police. I know someone who lied about being raped and admitted it. I know someone who told the truth about being raped, but didn't tell the police or the school. Both of these someones I refer to were incredibly insecure jealous people. I was sexually harassed in 9th grade. I told the counselor and she brushed me off so I got someone to represent me. Only then was I heard.

#MozWinsAgain

Unfortunately, Morrissey didn't claim that he's entitled to his opinion and stand by what he said - he claimed he didn't say it in the first place. Isn't that the real issue here? Yes, I am still a fan of the music ... but let's at least be honest about what happened here.

I can't see who did it to mine, because I'm anonymous, but I assume it was the same person.

What I can infer from this is that some Morrissey fans don't mind their idol being a rape defending racist, yet can't see the irony in Morrissey criticising Trump, while Morrissey says the very same things Trump says. Change migrants to Europe to Mexicans; change Kevin Spacey to Roy Moore. The sentiment is still the same.
Its not irony, just self promotion. Mexicans are part of his fan base. Syrian refugees aren't. Just like some of his fan base are Bernie Sanders fans but Morrissey doesn't strike me as someone who would enjoy paying 60% federal income tax.
I thought Kevin Spacey has been to his shows.

Yeah, he said he didn't say what certain insecure attackers were trying to say he said when they wanted to defame him and attribute violent crimes to him. That's reasonable. So is commenting about rape capitals and victims. But Pokey is a callous little meat eater.
I like Mozzer's outspokenness. He should keep it up. I can't stand insecure trolls who think that they've been raped when the issue is discussed, but when someone really rapes them they don't call the police. I know someone who lied about being raped and admitted it. I know someone who told the truth about being raped, but didn't tell the police or the school. Both of these someones I refer to were incredibly insecure jealous people. I was sexually harassed in 9th grade. I told the counselor and she brushed me off so I got someone to represent me. Only then was I heard.

#MozWinsAgain

Sweet Baby Jesus Christ Lord of Bethlehem

Enjoyed the listen. Morrissey sounds quite relaxed and happy to talk, he voices his opinion as most people would in their local pub. What's the big issue?
Good point

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom