Der Spiegel audio file of Morrissey interview released

Here you go. The recording of the interview.

Der Audiomitschnitt zum SPIEGEL-Interview mit Morrissey - Spiegel Online
Sänger Morrissey fühlt sich nach einem Interview mit dem SPIEGEL falsch zitiert und will nun nie wieder mit Printmedien sprechen. Hören Sie hier den Mitschnitt des Interviews.

English version:

The Audio of DER SPIEGEL's Interview with Morrissey
British pop singer Morrissey has accused DER SPIEGEL of falsely quoting him in a recently published interview. The magazine stands behind its reporting and has made the decision to post the audio online in response.

On Friday, Nov. 10, DER SPIEGEL culture reporter Juliane Liebert told her editors that she had been offered an interview with British popstar Morrissey and that a decision needed to be made quickly on whether to accept. We agreed: The former lead singer of The Smiths doesn't shy away from speaking his mind - and he also doesn't grant interviews very often.

The following Monday, Liebert flew to Los Angeles, where she was to interview Morrissey on Tuesday. The interview appointment got delayed several times before finally taking place on Wednesday and lasting 40 minutes. Edited versions of interviews published in DER SPIEGEL are usually authorized by the interview subject before publication, consistent with established procedure in German journalism. But in this instance, Morrissey's team elected to forego authorization.

After its publication on Nov. 18 in DER SPIEGEL, the interview (available behind the SPIEGEL Plus paywall in German) generated headlines not only in the German-language media. English publications like the Independent also wrote about Morrissey's statements regarding Trump, Brexit, the #MeToo debate and questions of national identity.

The musician then sought to distance himself from the published interview. "Unless you see the words form in my mouth and then you see or hear the words come out of my mouth... please, if you don't see that, I didn't say them," he told fans at a concert. He said he would never grant an interview to a print journalist again.

On Monday, Morrissey followed up with a post on his official Facebook page casting doubt on whether his statements had been reflected accurately by DER SPIEGEL. He also alleged that the fact that the magazine had not yet posted the raw audio of the interview was tantamount to an indirect admission of guilt.

To counter that claim, the editors of DER SPIEGEL have decided to post the audio of the interview online.

You can listen to the interview conducted with Morrissey in Los Angeles on Nov. 15 here:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Interview mp3 - yours to keep:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dx1c0j
(the exact file as used on the site).

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
You people are displaying such outrage as if Morrissey was being accused of gropping or raping someone. It's his opinion, I'm sure you bastards have crazy opinions of your own, stop acting so high and mighty. If this is the straw that broke your camels back and refuse to listen to his music, great! We don't need you. To be fair he does make some good points as far as the victims are concerned, most took a settlement to keep quiet, it's been reported that others would tell their account at parties and close friends, as if were a big joke. Some of these victims didn't act like they were victimized at all

He lied. He lied to us, his fans. He lied to the people that have traveled for him, spent a lot of money on him, supported his lifestyle. And he f***ing lies to our faces because he knows c***s like you DON’T CARE! But you know the truth? He doesn’t need YOU! The fans who aren’t delusional don’t need YOU! You are probably one of those who’s whole life, social life revolves around the idiotic Moz Fandom. So of course what will you do if there is no Morrissey in your life?! Nothing. You have nothing. I feel sorry for you. Meanwhile for the ones that lives were saved back in the day, this is heartbreaking because we know It’s Over. We did not listen to the songs because it was going to get us f***ed at the next Moz disco. We listened to the songs because we felt isolated and this soothed us. We were not alone when we put on a Smiths record. We didn’t give a damn who the bigger fan was or who went to the mosts gigs. Now it’s all bullshit. Who can be better buddies with the band. f*** them. It’s all gotten so dirty and tainted. This is not what it meant to be a Morrissey fan. It’s been degraded and people like you accept anything that comes out of his mouth and say I don’t care! Cancel hundreds of gigs oh well it goes with the territory. Disgusting. I’m utterly disgusted at the state of it all.

- C

Our press interview days draw to a close

He lied. He lied to us, his fans. He lied to the people that have traveled for him, spent a lot of money on him, supported his lifestyle. And he f***ing lies to our faces because he knows c***s like you DON’T CARE! But you know the truth? He doesn’t need YOU! The fans who aren’t delusional don’t need YOU! You are probably one of those who’s whole life, social life revolves around the idiotic Moz Fandom. So of course what will you do if there is no Morrissey in your life?! Nothing. You have nothing. I feel sorry for you. Meanwhile for the ones that lives were saved back in the day, this is heartbreaking because we know It’s Over. We did not listen to the songs because it was going to get us f***ed at the next Moz disco. We listened to the songs because we felt isolated and this soothed us. We were not alone when we put on a Smiths record. We didn’t give a damn who the bigger fan was or who went to the mosts gigs. Now it’s all bullshit. Who can be better buddies with the band. f*** them. It’s all gotten so dirty and tainted. This is not what it meant to be a Morrissey fan. It’s been degraded and people like you accept anything that comes out of his mouth and say I don’t care! Cancel hundreds of gigs oh well it goes with the territory. Disgusting. I’m utterly disgusted at the state of it all.

- C

The famous last words of Lydon as "Johnny Rotten".

Enjoyed the listen. Morrissey sounds quite relaxed and happy to talk, he voices his opinion as most people would in their local pub. What's the big issue?

He wasn't in his local pub. It's like saying Morrissey crouched down and had a shit on stage like most people would in their own bathrooms.

- C

Well, that is a bit harsh but I agree. The amount of time and money I've devoted to him for the last 30 years? I feel a bit ill about it all now.

He wasn't in his local pub. It's like saying Morrissey crouched down and had a shit on stage like most people would in their own bathrooms.
It's like saying Morrissey crouched down and had a shit on stage like most people would in their own bathrooms. :lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf:... :lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf:

Ugh.

I'm sure many would say the younger Morrissey would say these same things, but I choose to believe that back then he really did represent the 'gentle and kind'. Would he have the fan base he has now if he sided with the powerful closed doors and defended those who took advantage of children in the 80s? Nationalism? Waving off sexual harassment claims? These are things I would expect that singer from the Smiths to rally against. I suppose we expect people who grow old with money and fame to stay the same. A shame really.

And the fact that he lied about saying these things is just...f***ing awful.

Oh, I've changed my mind again, good night and thanks you.

I don't think the stuff Moz said about Donold Chump and Kevin Spaced was too bad. But his reference to kids as pests is so negative as are his comments about the 'free flow' and rape in Germany. He often sounds like an uncle who hasn't a bloody clue what he's on about but just won't shut up.
Some of what he says makes sense but some is pure bollox. I agree with him that the new album is great so that's enough for me. He should have stopped doing interviews after the Jonathan Ross interview around Quarry.

We knew he was a liar. We suspected he was a racist. It now appears he lacks empathy for sexual abuse victims.
I find it shameful he called out the magazine and the journalist for lying and trying to discredit him. He obviously doesn't care if he ruins careers to save himself. And he lied to his fans, again... People actually were calling the Police pigs because Morrissey lied about being accosted. You still believe him? Surely no one is that stupid.

Well I know one person who is. She hasn't posted in this thread yet, oddly enough, seeing as she posts like 400x a day! Can't wait to see how she defends him this time!

Ugh.

I'm sure many would say the younger Morrissey would say these same things, but I choose to believe that back then he really did represent the 'gentle and kind'. Would he have the fan base he has now if he sided with the powerful closed doors and defended those who took advantage of children in the 80s? Nationalism? Waving off sexual harassment claims? These are things I would expect that singer from the Smiths to rally against. I suppose we expect people who grow old with money and fame to stay the same. A shame really.

And the fact that he lied about saying these things is just...f***ing awful.

Oh, I've changed my mind again, good night and thanks you.
I blame his entourage of yes men for not kicking the shit out of him years ago. A frying pan into the jaw would have sorted his negativity out.

He lied. He lied to us, his fans. He lied to the people that have traveled for him, spent a lot of money on him, supported his lifestyle. And he f***ing lies to our faces because he knows c***s like you DON’T CARE! But you know the truth? He doesn’t need YOU! The fans who aren’t delusional don’t need YOU! You are probably one of those who’s whole life, social life revolves around the idiotic Moz Fandom. So of course what will you do if there is no Morrissey in your life?! Nothing. You have nothing. I feel sorry for you. Meanwhile for the ones that lives were saved back in the day, this is heartbreaking because we know It’s Over. C

It's not over. What are you saying he lied about specifically? Show me where he said "I do not say those things". Instead he makes a vague "if you didn't see it come out of my mouth" comment onstage. Could it be he was referring to the media's portrayal of what he said? If you ask most media outlets he pretty much said the accusers had it coming and he was backing Spacey & Weinstein. Do you honestly think the audio shows such a thing? In his Facebook post he accused the German paper of not presenting his views fairly. It's not quite as simple as you claim it is. He needs to clarify his words because as someone else said (to paraphrase) it makes no matter if Rapp "shouldn't known better" that doesn't excuse Spacey. What I want to know is does he live under a rock? is he aware today of all the allegations?

What was the whole deal with Julia/TTY after all? Was there an inciting incident or did she just lose interest over the past few years?

What does the Blue Rose Society say about all this. As we all know after True-to-you.net went offline, BRS and the Following the Mozziah blog are Morrissey's online mouthpiece.

- C

Thank you.

What was the whole deal with Julia/TTY after all? Was there an inciting incident or did she just lose interest over the past few years?

I'm not sure, but i do know that she got quite ill a few years back, and her health deteriorated. That and she was quite busy with her job in Los Angeles. But I don't know if anyone really know the entire story.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom