Dog on a Chain review - Classic Pop (3.5 stars out of 5)

Gist of the review is it's his best album for some time.
Some great songs with interesting arrangements but quite a few are let down by duff lyrics.
Ends the review somewhat amusingly with the phrase, 'walkies!'.

(Note: See comments for scan by Famous when dead).

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it'll be better than Maladjusted, especially the 2009 version
For me, the original version of Maladjusted was a horrible trick. The title/lead track was just amazing, only to be followed by a WEAK album. I remember hearing the album before release on a tape someone gave me and the version of Wide to Receive was far superior to the album version. So different. Yeah the 2009 version is better but when I compare, I consider the original release track lists.

In the UK people tend to yell 'walkies' to tell their dog it's time for a walk.

Alf Garnett was a right-wing character in a UK sitcom (started in the 1960s, I think), it was remade in the USA as All In The Family & Alf was renamed Archie Bunker.
Can you remember in the 80s and 90s an audience with... various comedians, like billy conelly , Kennith Williams?? Well watch the one with Alf Garnett on you tube, guaranteed laughter from start to finish....

Watching the 14 felching slugs on here - a group who shout to the hills about the inconsequence of reviews - try to work out star averages for these is quite amusing.

Will you exclude the upcoming one and two star commentaries as below threshold for counting, or will they be a part of your final tally?

Reviews don’t matter and neither do streaming stats. Let’s wait for the album and then we’ll have a chat about tangible sales.

You’re all a bit early to be screaming “success” from your cherry-picking prams.

í struggle to envisage Alf Garnett lovingly engaging in a duet with Thelma Houston.
Or having the words of James Baldwin written in his heart.
But hey ho.
Maybe 'WW' was on a deadline. And he's a lazy hack.
As someone said elsewhere, í think in the current climate, with most reviewers, you can comfortably lop off 1 ⭐ for 'non-musical flaws'...?

For reference purposes, Wyndham Wallace gave his last album proper a 4/5

41145_lihs_classicpop.jpg

Can you remember in the 80s and 90s an audience with... various comedians, like billy conelly , Kennith Williams?? Well watch the one with Alf Garnett on you tube, guaranteed laughter from start to finish....

I'll look it up!

Watching the 14 felching slugs on here - a group who shout to the hills about the inconsequence of reviews - try to work out star averages for these is quite amusing.

Will you exclude the upcoming one and two star commentaries as below threshold for counting, or will they be a part of your final tally?

Reviews don’t matter and neither do streaming stats. Let’s wait for the album and then we’ll have a chat about tangible sales.

You’re all a bit early to be screaming “success” from your cherry-picking prams.

Fair comments but these reviews are a good bit better than the average LIHS ones. Those averaged just under 6/10. So far (only 3 in so small sample size) we're averaging 8 (with a 7, 8 and 9).

I totally agree. It's a dreary slow-moving dirge that trades on the same old 'nobody loves me' tropes.
The music for the song was actually OK to pretty good, but the lyrics were dismal. That was the general fate of the Low High School.

It’s a lot to ask of an artist for his art in his 50’s and 60’s to equal that in his 20’s. Especially considering he is a totally different person now and we, the listeners, are totally different people. I used to hang on every release of fave artists with so much anxiety leading up to first listens. Now I figure I’m glad one of my faves is still at it (for instance, I’d love to hear another Pulp album) and that I like some songs, love a few. Excited to hear the whole album!

I wonder how well this journalist knows Morrissey's records. Morrissey used electronic music arrangements before, no surprise here! He also talked about suicide before, and many of the other things he mentions. The brilliant thing about Morrissey's lyrics is that he can talk about real life issues and, even if he repeats the same message sometimes, he still manages to do it in a new way.

í struggle to envisage Alf Garnett lovingly engaging in a duet with Thelma Houston.
Or having the words of James Baldwin written in his heart.
But hey ho.
Maybe 'WW' was on a deadline. And he's a lazy hack.
As someone said elsewhere, í think in the current climate, with most reviewers, you can comfortably lop off 1 ⭐ for 'non-musical flaws'...?

For reference purposes, Wyndham Wallace gave his last album proper a 4/5

View attachment 54705

Yeah, well, he gave the BROWN album 700,000/1,000,000. So we forgive him!

Clueless in the U.S.: 1. What does "walkies!" mean? (Here in the US, the first thing that comes to mind is "walkie talkie.") 2. What is the significance of Alf Garnett? (The wiki page on him didn't help me.)
I think it relates to the title of the album.

Knockabout world has really grown on me.
Me too. I read a post somewhere on these boards a while back where someone said they understand the lyrics can never be as great as in the the past, but they come for the great music, the melodies and of course the voice. And that is kinda how i feel.

I love the melody and chorus on this song. The lyrics are a little throwaway but its a great little toon.

Im excited for this album.

It’s a lot to ask of an artist for his art in his 50’s and 60’s to equal that in his 20’s. Especially considering he is a totally different person now and we, the listeners, are totally different people. I used to hang on every release of fave artists with so much anxiety leading up to first listens. Now I figure I’m glad one of my faves is still at it (for instance, I’d love to hear another Pulp album) and that I like some songs, love a few. Excited to hear the whole album!
last time I saw Jarvis cocker he was appearing on a celebrity edition of catchphrase,how the mighty have fallen.used to like pulp.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review
Back
Top Bottom