Dont Make Fun of Daddy's Voice - Lyrics

myboyracer

Speedway, here we come!
"Don't make fun of Daddy's voice
Because he can't help it
When he was a teenage boy
Something got stuck in his throat"

What could have got stuck in his throat?

Cheers!

mbr.

SomeONE dammit! SomeONE!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm...

I've also wondered about this lyric.

I've got a funny feeling there's something rather distasteful going on here:
"When you are young you crave affection
And it can come from the strangest direction"

Hmmmm...

I've also wondered about this lyric.

I've got a funny feeling there's something rather distasteful going on here:
"When you are young you crave affection
And it can come from the strangest direction"

I'd assumed that this song was referencing the "Bullet in his gullet" from FotGtD. But there's always room for a bit of cheerfully unsavory speculation with Morrissey. All part of the fun. :)

"when you are young, you crave affection. and it can come from the strangest direction."

it's obvious that this song is quite rude but (thankfully) in a witty, double entendre kinda way (unlike the horrible, cringey, 'kegs-between-legs' atrocity!).

as if it's not clear enough, he even changed the lyrics in a few of the live renditions to "someone got stuck in his throat"!

it's a great song. a so-so vocal melody but great lyrics and an unusually imaginative arrangement.
more like that, please!

It hurts me to speculate.

Well, at least its not a fishbone. :eek:

Morrissey's lyrics are rather interesting and ambiguous. Well, let your imagination doing some thinking for a while.

Cheers!

mbr.

One of my favourite live Moz songs. Anyways, I believe that through extensive listening to this song the lyrics are pure genius.

In the true tradition of some of his best writing, the song can be taken in at least 2 ways. Firstly a knife could have got stuck in this 'Daddys throat' and he now has to use a voice changer - I believe the song is about Mexican gang members - and now he has to use a voice box. Being part of the gang (the "...you crave affection..." lines) almost killed him.

Secondly I believe it is about 'someone' getting stuck in his throat - p'raps a nod to repressed homosexuality in these young men. Dont make fun of his voice ? Well perhaps he's camp.

I dont know - but thats the way I take the song. Pre Moz genius. Probably the only reason it didnt feature on the Album was because First of the Gang to die was too similar and deemed more worthy of a single by being more radio friendly.

"Don't make fun of Daddy's voice
Because he can't help it
When he was a teenage boy
Something got stuck in his throat"

What could have got stuck in his throat?

Cheers!

mbr.

Ummm. As others here have also noted, I think it's clearly another, erm, "reel around the fountain."

I fail to see how the lyrics are ambiguous, to me it seems pretty obvious what's going on. :)

This is one of my favourite Moz songs! :D I always presumed it was, y'know, a little mucky reference :p I guess it's however people want to interpret it.

Back
Top Bottom