Driving Your Girlfriend Home

There's something I've always interpreted in this song and just listening to it now, I thought I'd see if anyone else did too; the ending, "And we're shaking hands, good night so politely", do you see this as a coy, 'well in reality mate, I took your girlfriend into the house and shagged her'? Or do you think the lyric does what it says on the tin? Or, am I 16 years too late and we've had this discussion already?

I've always thought that the song was written about Linder...just a conversation or an event that they might have had. And after I realized that she sang backing vocals on it, I was incredibly surprised, I must say!

I don't think he shagged her...I don't think there's an implication of that (although I can see your point)...and if the song indeed is about Linder...I can see the polite handshaking maybe refering to...

...I don't know. I am terrible at song interpretations..and there really is no right or wrong answer.

There's something I've always interpreted in this song and just listening to it now, I thought I'd see if anyone else did too; the ending, "And we're shaking hands, good night so politely", do you see this as a coy, 'well in reality mate, I took your girlfriend into the house and shagged her'? Or do you think the lyric does what it says on the tin? Or, am I 16 years too late and we've had this discussion already?

I interpret it as he'd like to but nothing happens, they just shake hands politely (I sense a certain "what a shame" feeling in the "politely"). similar to "I layed down beside you and nothing much happened" in king leer, same album.

but I read this weird interpretation on some gay site I can no longer find - that this song is supposed to be the proof that he's gay because it's about longing for the boyfriend. pretty farfetched, I'd say....

I interpret it as he'd like to but nothing happens, they just shake hands politely (I sense a certain "what a shame" feeling in the "politely"). similar to "I layed down beside you and nothing much happened" in king leer, same album.

but I read this weird interpretation on some gay site I can no longer find - that this song is supposed to be the proof that he's gay because it's about longing for the boyfriend. pretty farfetched, I'd say....

Ahhhh, well that would put a different spin on the 'I can't tell her' and 'I can't answer' lyrics. He can't really say, "well actually love, I fancy your boyfriend so I'm not going to slag him off."
I guess it's another open ended debate. I'd like to see which opinion is more favoured though; guy or girl, chaste or rampant ... our Moz; he's the eternal Hamlet.

Ahhhh, well that would put a different spin on the 'I can't tell her' and 'I can't answer' lyrics. He can't really say, "well actually love, I fancy your boyfriend so I'm not going to slag him off."

you're right, I never thought of that - truuuuuue - not so farfetched after all!

I always thought it was a story of lack of communication. Two people who like each other but through circumstances and their own reserve can't say anything.

I think if it was about love for the boyfriend he'd be portrayed as slightly more sympathetic. The main impression you get is he's a crap boyfriend with no sense of humour who's just upset his girlfriend yet again, so his best friend has to take her home.

I always thought it was a story of lack of communication. Two people who like each other but through circumstances and their own reserve can't say anything.

I think if it was about love for the boyfriend he'd be portrayed as slightly more sympathetic. The main impression you get is he's a crap boyfriend with no sense of humour who's just upset his girlfriend yet again, so his best friend has to take her home.

I think it's stifled sexual ambitions. In the sense that the protagonist would love, would love to shag the girlfriend, but cannot summon the manliness to do so. Even when his friend is dropped off home. What an opportunity! But still, cannot muster the masculinity to do so...

Peter

I think it's stifled sexual ambitions. In the sense that the protagonist would love, would love to shag the girlfriend, but cannot summon the manliness to do so. Even when his friend is dropped off home. What an opportunity! But still, cannot muster the masculinity to do so...

Peter

Yeah, that's what I think it is. The part about not being able to tell her about the shortcomings of her boyfriend I sincerely doubt is because he likes her boyfriend, that is very far-fetched, but possibly that he just can't quite set himself up that much, create that much of an opportunity. Besides just not being able to summon up this manliness when the opportunity arises, he might be passing over turning something into an opportunity. Deep down he wants her, but he can't do it for some reason, he can't take that final leap...

Yeah, that's what I think it is. The part about not being able to tell her about the shortcomings of her boyfriend I sincerely doubt is because he likes her boyfriend, that is very far-fetched, but possibly that he just can't quite set himself up that much, create that much of an opportunity. Besides just not being able to summon up this manliness when the opportunity arises, he might be passing over turning something into an opportunity. Deep down he wants her, but he can't do it for some reason, he can't take that final leap...

Yes indeed. I remember so well the times when I wanted, so deeply, humanly wanted to do the deed with the lady of my dreams, but something in me pulled back. Every time. I'm way past that now, a good 20 years past that, but it still hurts. This song means a lot to me, in the sense that you want to - but you can't...

Peter

Oh, and before I go to bed, Tony The Pony has massive personal resonance for me. The lyrics echo so well my upbringing. A massively, shamefully under-rated song. One of Morrissey's best ever.

Peter

Oh, and before I go to bed, Tony The Pony has massive personal resonance for me. The lyrics echo so well my upbringing. A massively, shamefully under-rated song. One of Morrissey's best ever.

Peter

Well, I don't know if it's one of his absolute best, but it is very underrated. Believe it or not, I think it is the title that ruins its reputation. But the lyrics are a lot deeper than people might believe, they are meaningful, and the music is good too, I love the bass line. If it wasn't named Tony the Pony it would be more widely loved, that's what I think, and I'm sticking to it.

Well, I don't know if it's one of his absolute best, but it is very underrated. Believe it or not, I think it is the title that ruins its reputation. But the lyrics are a lot deeper than people might believe, they are meaningful, and the music is good too, I love the bass line. If it wasn't named Tony the Pony it would be more widely loved, that's what I think, and I'm sticking to it.

It's the upbringing. I am a twin, and my brother was way more street-wise than I ever was. I see the song as the more non-streetwise brother saying to his sibling how jealous he is of his matiness, his ease of friendship. He is saying "Is that what they call you now, when you're free outside?"...in other words, his friends have pet name for him - but Morrissey, ...is still Morrissey. Not popular, but hating, jealous of the brother's relationships, even when they are self-destructive "Still drinking on the corner?". It's so, so sad.

Peter

It's the upbringing. I am a twin, and my brother was way more street-wise than I ever was. I see the song as the more non-streetwise brother saying to his sibling how jealous he is of his matiness, his ease of friendship. He is saying "Is that what they call you now, when you're free outside?"...in other words, his friends have pet name for him - but Morrissey, ...is still Morrissey. Not popular, but hating, jealous of the brother's relationships, even when they are self-destructive "Still drinking on the corner?". It's so, so sad.

Peter

Yes, I can see that in the lyrics. The more upbeat music might not help that mood, but overall I still think the song is still a success, it has grown on me quite a bit over the past few weeks when I first I didn't think much of it.

Now that you mention those things I am kind of Morrissey in that song too, but I don't have a twin brother, though most of my friends are very Tony the Pony-ish and I'm just...Morrissey. Well, actually, being Morrissey would be very cool :D, I'm just Kui. :o

DYGH is one of my favourites. I interpret the song as a longing that cannot be fulfilled, for whatever reson, despite an apparent desire for it to happen.

i love this thread:D

I have always wonderd about this song.. I love It so much.. It talks to me IN My Way Of Seeing it.. Or Maybe an expirience I or someone out there may have had...

Well I see it this way..
Sort Of Complicated I would say.. But to me it sounds like this..
OK The Girl Is this frustraded and upset with her boyfriend.. Something finally blew.. I would say that it was something that she was in denial about.. Yes, he may be gay.. and not giving her any love. Which She Knew could never happen.. But she tried... Now The Friend here.. well he may have known that this boyfriend is gay and this is why he took her home.. He seen what a coward his friend was, by not telling her the Truth.... That, He is Gay...So Maybe, She did not have a way to get home.. This guy felt pity for her and Drove "His (His Friends) girlfriend home.
And she says Now...

She says...

So how did I end up
So deeply involved in
The very existence
I planned on avoiding ?"

See She is scared confused and In love with a man that could never be Hers. See she obviously tried avoiding him. And Again the friend sees, this and what does he do....

"And I can't tell her "

!He stays quiet for he knows that no matter what she deserves to talk shit....!

After all He may have given her wings?

They Drive On and again! she says

It seems she is trying to get him to explain..
Maybe He was the lover?

Then she starts to make fun of the Boyfriend...

So how did I end up
Attached to this person
When his sense of humour
Gets gradually worser ?"

"And I can't tell her "

What can he not tell her?
Well...

He once again stays quite...
Oh but why?
Maybe,
Maybe,
He does not feel the same way, maybe he loves the boyfriend and will not go that far against the boyfriend...

Smart Women get crazy!
haha
Not that he could not handle that.. But He knows she feels very very embarrassed , I mean common sence, she was trying to make a guy streight..
Oh she knew what she was getting herself into...

"I'm parking
Outside her home
And we're shaking hands

Finally Hes got her home..
After an intence ride home....

Yet the friend here chose to get the "Lady" Home.. After all The Friend Here may not only be the boyfriends lover......BUt , He is A Charming man curtious,and he knows that, she is not a bad Lady.. She was just in love with a guy that can never be for her...

Goodnight, so politely "

:rolleyes:

:eek:

Sighs what a pretty song...

Hey I have had that On My Chest for a long time now...
I remmeber talking to someone on solo about this song once before...
Gracias!
f53253e607k.jpg

Yes, it is very unlikely considering the way the boyfriend is described in the song...which reminds me a bit of the groom/loud loutish lover in I Know It's Over.

But trust people to always find a 'gay' interpretation of every Moz song, that's not even the most far-fetched one.

I have always wonderd about this song.. I love It so much.. It talks to me IN My Way Of Seeing it.. Or Maybe an expirience I or someone out there may have had...

Well I see it this way..
OK The Girl Is this frustraded and upset with her boyfriend.. Something finally blew.. I would say that it was something that she was in denial about.. Yes, he may be gay.. and not giving her any love. Which She Knew could never happen.. But she tried... Now The Friend here.. well he may have known that this boyfriend is gay and this is why he took her home.. He seen what a coward his friend was, by not telling her the Truth.... That, He is Gay...So Maybe, She did not have a way to get home.. This guy felt pity for her and Drove "His (His Friends) girlfriend home.
And she says Now...

She says...

So how did I end up
So deeply involved in
The very existence
I planned on avoiding ?
"

See She is scared confused and In love with a man that could never be Hers. See she obviously tried avoiding him. And Again the friend sees, this and what does he do....
I really doubt that she has always thought to herself 'the one thing I want to avoid is being with a gay man'...

... 'in love with a man that could never be hers'?? But he is hers! It's her boyfriend! It's a serious relationship (deeply involved). And she doesn't seem very happy with it, so if anything she doesn't seem that much in love with him. You don't refer to the person you're madly in love with as 'this person (...) his sense of humour gets gradually worser'. Besides, she mentions absolutely nothing about any problems with sex. She never said he wouldn't have sex with her. The only problem seems to be that she finds him boring... and that she doesn't love him. 'How did I end up attached to this person...'

The very simple and obvious meaning: How did she end up in a relationship with no spark, no passion, no fun, with a man she might not be in love anymore (if she ever really was). How did she end up with such a conventional life? This is what she always wanted to avoid.

This reminds me a lot of my best friend, who seemed to be such a free spirit once, or at least that's how I saw her. She had a boyfriend who was very unconvetional but also very troubled, and her mother didn't like him because he 'had no future' (in other words, no money, no good job, no high education). They quarelled often, but they were also mates, they played in a band together, did everything together. However, they had lots of problems and it could never work out. But now (for several years already) she is locked in this passionless relationship with a guy that she was never really in love with (he was 'there for her'), but he was 'there for her' and he was 'nice',a she said... he turned out not to be that nice at all - jealous, possessive, he makes her stay at home and he hates the idea of her singing in a band (he spoiled her audition for a band once; she once had a chance to be a presenter on the local TV, he wouldn't let her - he seems to believe such a job is for sluts, and that musicians are all junkies :rolleyes: ), he tries to prevent her from socializing (he hates to go out himself). She's changed so much for the worse since she got involved with him. He isn't one of those men who are physically abusive or who shouts a lot - if he were, she might dump him - but no, he's a quiet type... he just has a way of making her feel bad about herself. Because 'he is actually nice, he loves me'. :rolleyes: You know, 'Still waters run deep'. personally, I find that an hour in his presence makes me so bored and depressed, I don't know how anyone can endure to live with him.

These lyrics also remind me of:

"Sad-veiled bride, please be happy
handsome groom, give her room
Loud, loutish lover treat her kindly
cause she needs you more than she loves you".

"And I can't tell her "
...That he loves her (or at least fancies her).

Maybe she (and other people) presume that he wouldn't be interested in her?

Maybe He was the lover?
To explain what? She isn't trying to get him to explain anything, she is just using him as a 'shoulder to cry on'.

So how did I end up
Attached to this person
When his sense of humour
Gets gradually worser ?
"

"And I can't tell her "

Well...
See above.

Last edited:

Well I see it this way..
And she says Now...

She says...

So how did I end up
So deeply involved in
The very existence
I planned on avoiding ?"

"And I can't tell her "

!He stays quiet for he knows that no matter what she deserves to talk shit....!

After all He may have given her wings?

Maybe He was the lover?

So how did I end up
Attached to this person
When his sense of humour
Gets gradually worser ?"

"And I can't tell her "

Well...

He once again stays quite...
Oh but why?
Maybe,
Maybe,
He does not feel the same way, maybe he loves the boyfriend and will not go that far against the boyfriend...

Smart Women get crazy!
haha
Not that he could not handle that.. But He knows she feels very very embarrassed , I mean common sence, she was trying to make a guy streight..
Oh she knew what she was getting herself into...

"I'm parking
Outside her home
And we're shaking hands

Finally Hes got her home..
After an intence ride home....

Yet the friend here chose to get the "Lady" Home.. After all The Friend Here may not only be the boyfriends lover......BUt , He is A Charming man curtious,and he knows that, she is not a bad Lady.. She was just in love with a guy that can never be for her...

Goodnight, so politely "

:rolleyes:

:eek:

Sighs what a pretty song...

Hey I have had that On My Chest for a long time now...
I remmeber talking to someone on solo about this song once before...
Gracias!
f53253e607k.jpg

That's the best example of crowbarring a meaning into a song I've read. Worthy of David Bret.

Back
Top Bottom