Dundee Courier ‘Morrissey kissed me on the cheek’: Remembering historic Smiths gig in Dundee 35 years ago (September 25, 2020)

In the "Dundee Courier" 'nostalgia' section (!) a trip down memory lane to The Smiths concert at the Caird Hall 35 years ago to-morrow.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nos...g-historic-smiths-gig-in-dundee-35-years-ago/

Interviews with a few fans, with the attendant legally-required footnotes and apologies du jour {í am sure these people do disagree with whatever they believe to be his 'right-wing views', but there obviously is the thought that if you go public with any sort of Moz luv now, even in the 'nostalgia' section, to avoid the risk of on-line abuse in the wonderful world of 2020, you have to deliver such as the following ~ “I’m not a supporter in any way, shape or form of Morrissey’s controversial comments, quotes and opinions over the intervening years and find them deeply offensive” }

Otherwise, a sweet piece. Would be interested in seeing the snaps of M. feeding grapes to the competition winner backstage. They must be out there? Or ritually burned? In fact, it might have been more interesting to get an interview with that girl. She probably went into a coma that night. í would...

Plus, you get a nice Sheila Rock pic ~

Morrissey Sheila Rock.jpg

Local historical note: Gayle Anderson, the 2nd interviewee, was the pop editor of "Jackie" magazine at the time of the concert, published by D.C. Thomson & Co, who also publish The Courier, a publishing company who were infamous in Scotland for being anti-Catholic, and indeed never employed 'Papists' until they were basically forced to by law, well after the point when Ms Anderson worked there. í wonder if she found that 'deeply offensive' during her time as Pop Editor?

ps ~ "The Courier" also happens to be the publication where Murray Chalmers, Morrissey's EMI PR chum, currently writes a weekly "Food & Drink" Lifestyle column. Funny how things turn out...

Last edited:
In the "Dundee Courier" 'nostalgia' section (!) a trip down memory lane to The Smiths concert at the Caird Hall 35 years ago to-morrow.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nos...g-historic-smiths-gig-in-dundee-35-years-ago/

Interviews with a few fans, with the attendant legally-required footnotes and apologies du jour {í am sure these people do disagree with whatever they believe to be his 'right-wing views', but there obviously is the thought now that if you go public with any sort of Moz luv now, even in the 'nostalgia' section, to avoid the risk of on-line abuse in the wonderful world of 2020, you have to deliver such as the following ~ “I’m not a supporter in any way, shape or form of Morrissey’s controversial comments, quotes and opinions over the intervening years and find them deeply offensive” }

Otherwise, a sweet piece. Would be interested in seeing the snaps of M. feeding grapes to the competition winner backstage. They must be out there? Or ritually burned? In fact, it might have been more interesting to get an interview with that girl. She probably went into a coma that night. í would...

Plus, you get a nice Sheila Rock pic ~

View attachment 59319

Local historical note: Gayle Anderson, the 2nd interviewee, was the pop editor of "Jackie" magazine at the time of the concert, published by D.C. Thomson & Co, who also publish The Courier, a publishing company who were infamous in Scotland for being anti-Catholic, and indeed never employed 'Papists' until they were basically forced to by law, well after the point when Ms Anderson worked there. í wonder if she found that 'deeply offensive' during her time as Pop Editor?

ps ~ "The Courier" also happens to be the publication where Murray Chalmers, Morrissey's EMI PR chum, currently writes a weekly "Food & Drink" Lifestyle column. Funny how things turn out...

Here's the full "Jackie" piece - grapes and shorts and "friendly knees" included, but possibly mislabelled with regards to the date 🤔 (I'll look into it...)

Last edited:
Here's the full "Jackie" piece - grapes and shorts included, but possibly mislabelled with regards to the date 🤔 (I'll look into it...)

Thank You. You probably made my weekend.

"Oh, hasn't he got really friendly knees? " :bow:

Shorts? In Dundee? In September? A hardy soul.

It wouldn't be surprising if that entire "Jackie " issue was mis-labelled with the wrong year; Thomson's were never that hot with their printing.
It would have been something if the "Courier " had tracked down knee-loving grapist Eileen {nice to see that "Jackie " didn't mind Catholic readers; they were just wary of employing them}.

It wouldn't be surprising if that entire "Jackie " issue was mis-labelled with the wrong year; Thomson's were never that hot with their printing.
It would have been something if the "Courier " had tracked down knee-loving grapist Eileen {nice to see that "Jackie " didn't mind Catholic readers; they were just wary of employing them}.

You're very welcome.

There's several things about the date that make me scratch my head. I've found the article referenced in different places, always attributed to this issue:

Jackie_magazine1Sept1984.jpg

Also, in the Courier article Gayle mentions daffodils and hearing aid... which I'm not quite sure Moz was still using on that leg of the tour (didn't they stop using flowers the year before?). So, in theory there's a small possibility that Gayle got it wrong and Eileen met the bee's knees in March 1984 when The Smiths played Dundee for the first time, BUT M&Ms barnets (and the shades) tell a different story.

So it was probably mislabelled at some point and the mistake was copied over and over. :ahhh:doh:

Last edited:

I'll pop Gayle on my hit list of people to pester with pro-Moz views.

They really believe he said he preferred his own race. Twitter is a nightmare.

I hope Murray is helping him out !!!

those were the days.enjoyable read.

Last edited:
not employing catholics,used to be in scotland if you went for an interview the first question they asked you was what school did you go to,if it started with saint you had no chance,all started with a certain football club who never signed a catholic in over a hundred years,scum.

not employing catholics,used to be in scotland if you went for an interview the first question they asked you was what school did you go to,if it started with saint you had no chance,all started with a certain football club who never signed a catholic in over a hundred years,scum.

"what foot do you kick with, son?" Etc...

I was watching Sky Arts last night and Guy Garvey's 'From the vaults' where he was looking at 1984. It featured a short but good interview with Moz backstage at a Hacienda concert from 27th January 1984. Moz could barely hear the interviewer due to loud music from stage (Madonna, I think). Was good to see Moz grinning his way through the questions. It also featured the first TV broadcast of The Smiths playing Hand In Glove (The Tube, March 16th 1984).

Link to interview on utube:

Link to Hand In Glove on The Tube:

Last edited:
"There was also nothing wrong with Morrissey’s eyesight but he wore specs." But how could anybody state this as a matter of fact about anyone unless they were told by the person himself/herself or their optician?

I don't think Moz has right-wing views at all.

He's too alienated from authority to be political in the traditional sense, but he is left-leaning.

I'm gathering all the evidence on the Morrissey As Folk Devil thread - it's properly evidenced - so if you're a passing hack or want to send the link to one, it's usable.

Also I will not care if it's plundered without credit.

So it's free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Moz has right-wing views at all.

He's too alienated from authority to be political in the traditional sense, but he is left-leaning.

I'm gathering all the evidence on the Morrissey As Folk Devil thread - it's properly evidenced - so if you're a passing hack or want to send the link to one, it's usable.

Also I will not care if it's plundered without credit.

So it's free.

nobody cares, go back to sleep.

I’m not a supporter in any way, shape or form of Morrissey’s controversial comments, quotes and opinions over the intervening years and find them deeply offensive

I'm envisaging a future in which we'll be asked to sign a waiver including this language before entering the venue for any UK show of Morrissey's.

the first two people interviewed ended with the usual mince about Ms politics,what if they said i totally agree with everything M said would they have been included,nah didnt think so.

f*** Catholics. Fair-weather, cherry-picking rubes. ...the lot.

It is funny how 'right wing' is used as a term of abuse while 'left wing' is rarely used in the same derogatory way. Stalin and Mao make Hitler seem like an amateur.
Morrissey has always been anti-establishment. That the establishment is pro-mass immigration tells you everything you need to know about Moz's political views.

you'll have been ecstatic then when Mo Johnstob signed for Rangers?

The Smiths played The Caird Hall Dundee in June 1984 when flowers and ear pieces were used. So the article is wrong in it being their first show since the University.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom