Dundee Courier ‘Morrissey kissed me on the cheek’: Remembering historic Smiths gig in Dundee 35 years ago (September 25, 2020)

In the "Dundee Courier" 'nostalgia' section (!) a trip down memory lane to The Smiths concert at the Caird Hall 35 years ago to-morrow.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nos...g-historic-smiths-gig-in-dundee-35-years-ago/

Interviews with a few fans, with the attendant legally-required footnotes and apologies du jour {í am sure these people do disagree with whatever they believe to be his 'right-wing views', but there obviously is the thought that if you go public with any sort of Moz luv now, even in the 'nostalgia' section, to avoid the risk of on-line abuse in the wonderful world of 2020, you have to deliver such as the following ~ “I’m not a supporter in any way, shape or form of Morrissey’s controversial comments, quotes and opinions over the intervening years and find them deeply offensive” }

Otherwise, a sweet piece. Would be interested in seeing the snaps of M. feeding grapes to the competition winner backstage. They must be out there? Or ritually burned? In fact, it might have been more interesting to get an interview with that girl. She probably went into a coma that night. í would...

Plus, you get a nice Sheila Rock pic ~

Morrissey Sheila Rock.jpg

Local historical note: Gayle Anderson, the 2nd interviewee, was the pop editor of "Jackie" magazine at the time of the concert, published by D.C. Thomson & Co, who also publish The Courier, a publishing company who were infamous in Scotland for being anti-Catholic, and indeed never employed 'Papists' until they were basically forced to by law, well after the point when Ms Anderson worked there. í wonder if she found that 'deeply offensive' during her time as Pop Editor?

ps ~ "The Courier" also happens to be the publication where Murray Chalmers, Morrissey's EMI PR chum, currently writes a weekly "Food & Drink" Lifestyle column. Funny how things turn out...

Last edited:
Taxi Driver Steve Schapiro.jpg

:flowers:

If you register & meet the criteria for employment then it's indefinite & would be permanent after 5 years (you have to prove it), but that's because of agreements within the EU. It's not an open border & you could still be deported
When you say 'register' what do you mean by that? How does one go about registering?

And how do you meet the criteria for employment?

When you say 'register' what do you mean by that? How does one go about registering?

And how do you meet the criteria for employment?

You go to the town hall, or the police station or wherever is dealing with it, you register using your id & you get a certificate. If you're doing a job you have to be qualified for it in a way that's recognised by that country... No one really cares about all this - basically they keep an eye on you. It's not like going between Newcastle & Glasgow.

You go to the town hall, or the police station or wherever is dealing with it, you register using your id & you get a certificate. If you're doing a job you have to be qualified for it in a way that's recognised by that country... No one really cares about all this - basically they keep an eye on you. It's not like going between Newcastle & Glasgow.

Correct. Which is my point, it's basically open borders. Now I get that your interpretation of an open border is one where you can literally stroll across the border with no checks at all. My definition is a little narrower, for me it also takes into account the CONTROL of migration. If you can't control the flow of migration into your country then for all intents and purposes, you have an open border. We clearly aren't going to agree on this because we view it in 2 different ways, but migration control is a key factor for me.

The article says there's nothing wrong with Morrissey's eyesight??? Was that true????

The article says there's nothing wrong with Morrissey's eyesight??? Was that true????

Absolutely not. He's very shortsighted, always wears contacts or glasses and at their first ever US show he fell off the stage because he wasn't wearing either.

I thought that.

I wonder where she got the idea he was faking it from?
He faked the hearing aid (got some criticism for it then and still does for some absurd reason, though others cite the use of it as a kind and supportive gesture. 🤷🏻‍♀️) thus the glasses must be fake too?

He faked the hearing aid (got some criticism for it then and still does for some absurd reason, though others cite the use of it as a kind and supportive gesture. 🤷🏻‍♀️) thus the glasses must be fake too?

Must be. She's brave taking a punt on that though, because eyesight issues are more common than hearing issues.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom