"England Is Mine" soundtrack on Spotify

I'd be curious how they put together the soundtrack. If anybody goes to a Q&A and can ask Gill that, let me know what he says!

Lonely Planet Boy - New York Dolls
In My Lonely Room - Single Version (Mono) - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
Virginia Plain - Roxy Music
Jazz Suite No. 2: VI. Waltz No. 2 - Dmitri Shostakovich
I Don't Like - George Formby
(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone - Live From Screen On The Green, Islington, United Kingdom / 1976 - Sex Pistols
Recoil - 2007 Digital Remaster - Magazine
Je veux qu'il revienne - Françoise Hardy
Only To Other People - The Cookies
So Little Time - Diana Dors
Send Me The Pillow That You Dream On - Johnny Tillotson
Give Him A Great Big Kiss - The Shangri-Las
This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us - Sparks
Sea Diver - Mott The Hoople
Last Night Was Made For Love - Billy Fury
My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small
Come And Stay With Me - Marianne Faithfull
Out In The Streets - The Shangri-Las
You're The One - Stereo Version - The Marvelettes
The World's Loneliest Man - Vince Eager

40526_england_is_mine_soundtrack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good list, encompassing a variety of reference material. Pleased to see Lonely Planet Boy, with it's lyrics...

"But how could you be drivin'
Down by my home
When ya know, I ain't got one"

...which kind of influenced a song.

Wonder if the exclusion of Bowie was intentional or not? Morrissey has expressed his fondness for "Starman" - even after the fallout.

Wonder if the exclusion of Bowie was intentional or not? Morrissey has expressed his fondness for "Starman" - even after the fallout.
[
I don't think it was on porpuse. The pal above said about the producer don't afforded to use Bowie's song and I agree. I really doubt that Bowie's heirs would allow any song to be involved with Morrissey's name.

one thing Morrissey cant complain about is the soundtrack.makers should send him a copy.

Looks like a bit of Desert Island Discs coupled with pulling a few from the various year's pre-gig tunes.
I'm surprised Groovin' With Mr. Bloe wasn't on there.
Regards,
FWD.

Should add: just to echo Raphael - one thing I hear consistently on DVD commentary tracks is a Producer or Director bemoaning the songs they wanted to include in their film, but being too expensive to buy the rights for.

Last edited:
'Only to other people' by The Cookies sounds uncannily just like 'Girl Least Likely To'. Sneaky Moz might have pilfered that tune I think!

'Only to other people' by The Cookies sounds uncannily just like 'Girl Least Likely To'. Sneaky Moz might have pilfered that tune I think!

Good find Acton, maybe it was mentioned before but hearing this now, it sounds very uncannily like 'Girl Least Likely To'.
Sneaky Moz indeed but I guess it'takes a certain kind of talent too to see and imagine and use that song for his own music.
I can't and don't blame him. :thumb:

Yes, and now that The Cookies might have half a chance to get paid for it, it's put on Spotify where they will have to split three cents per million plays. Forget Mike Joyce, if there are any living Cookies, Morrissey ought to at least pay their electric bills.

this may be a case where the soundtrack is better than the film.If so, at least something good came out of it.

I can't keep up with the newsitems, but I'm on spotify and this won't direct me to it.

Most of the songs I know and were on podcasts on the World of Morrissey facebookgroup, think it definately gives more to the movie, which I hope will be seen in Europe.

Good find Acton, maybe it was mentioned before but hearing this now, it sounds very uncannily like 'Girl Least Likely To'.
Sneaky Moz indeed but I guess it'takes a certain kind of talent too to see and imagine and use that song for his own music.
I can't and don't blame him. :thumb:

We've covered this ground many times over the years. If you're going down that track of b-sides that were clearly lifted, then you could look at Sparks' 'Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth' or Gilbert O'Sullivans' 'Nothing Rhymed'.

I don't use Spotify (unless searching for information about gigs that are then withdrawn! :mad:), but given the interest in playlists - this is worth a go. Every track Moz mentions in Autobiography in Spotify playlist form. 59 in total.
Regards,
FWD.

Apologies in advance, Spotify doesn't seem to embed well on here. Use the link below and excuse the tracklist being in jpegs.

https://open.spotify.com/embed/user/gregster1978/playlist/1huKfcdjMORD7Fb3rSsbty

From here originally:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...y_non_smiths_song_mentioned_in_morrissey.html

20170813_165758.png
20170813_165825.png
20170813_165904.png
20170813_165928.png
20170813_165947.png
20170813_170010.png

Last edited:
that's a good bunch of songs.

Does anyone know if Morrissey has ever expressed a particular thing about Shostakovich? I know about the sample on Southpaw Grammar, but that was presumably Boz.

Yes, and now that The Cookies might have half a chance to get paid for it, it's put on Spotify where they will have to split three cents per million plays. Forget Mike Joyce, if there are any living Cookies, Morrissey ought to at least pay their electric bills.

Cookie monster!
I want coooookkkiiieesss. :p

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom