England World Cup qualifying match

Re: England in the World Cup

I think I'm the one sad face. I feel attached to Croatia - I think it's because I was once asked if I was Croatian. :p

Particularly on current form, it's gotta be Spain, Brazil and England who should be considered the favorites to win WC. Of the three, I'd give the nod to Spain in spite of current fifa rankings. I'd call Brazil vs. England even money.

By the way, anyone noticing the massive implosion of Argentina? Here's a team that many picked to win it all, but with losses to Brazil at home and a loss to Paraguay today, they're flailing desperately at the moment to even get to the finals, let alone win cup. Who'd a thunk it?

Me.

Argentina just haven't got a solid enough team to go and win the world cup, and they have been found out to a large extent. Brazil on the other hand have really progressed as a team, they are very sound defensively now and I would say they are probably the favourites at the moment.

It is very hard to predict what is going to happen in all of 9/10 months time however, so many things can change. This is the most positive I have felt about England's chances however...

Brazil (under Dunga) are a terrible excuse for a football team. They're a souped up version of Stoke. But they'll continue to do the samba and everybody else will spew semen over their apparent ability to play the game.

I wonder what Zico, Zizinho, Garrincha, Pele, et al, would have to say about the counter attacking monstrosity that is Dunga's Brazil.

Argentina are missing Ayala. El Diego should be doing all he can to bring him back into the squad, though he (Maradona) has never praised Ayala too highly.

If Insua gets a call up and Cambiasso and Riquelme achieve the impossible task of getting over themselves, then they're unstoppable.

I think I'm the one sad face. I feel attached to Croatia - I think it's because I was once asked if I was Croatian. :p

Really, how come? Tell more! :)

I think the match yesterday was a disgrace, it was payback time i guess
( i don't know much about football, but wasn't England kicked out of the qualification for the eu championship by croatia 2 years ago? -there's your revenge last night ;) )

Ayala's 36. If they have to rely on a 36-year-old central defender to win them a World Cup, there's no hope for them, to be fair.

Ayala is Argentine, not Brazilian; in other words, he has more to offer than sheer physicality. The only asset he's lost is pace, which he never had in abundance, anyway.
I'm not saying that he should be relied upon entirely, but he was a very influential player and the back line has leaked goals like a sieve since he retired, particularly from set-pieces.
What's Demichelis' current situation? Is he injured? I'd consider moving Heinze into the centre for the time being.
On a side note, have you seen Veron pulling the strings for Estudiantes? He's a superb player, but massively underrated after his time at United.

Ayala is Argentine, not Brazilian; in other words, he has more to offer than sheer physicality. The only asset he's lost is pace, which he never had in abundance, anyway.
I'm not saying that he should be relied upon entirely, but he was a very influential player and the back line has leaked goals like a sieve since he retired, particularly from set-pieces.
What's Demichelis' current situation? Is he injured? I'd consider moving Heinze into the centre for the time being.
On a side note, have you seen Veron pulling the strings for Estudiantes? He's a superb player, but massively underrated after his time at United.

Even when he was at United I thought Veron was an exceptional player.

England were excellent last night...really excellent. They were a pleasure to watch with their continual attacking mode and quick one touches. Roll on SA 2010 :guitar:

Gerrard and Lampard were amazing last night. Not just because they scored two a piece, but Gerrard's quickness of feet and general intelligence, and Lampard's knowledge of knowing when to arrive in the penalty area, but Fabio knows how to play them together at last. Lampard has scored 6 goals in the last 7 internationals. Lampard is FAR better as a midfielder in a conventional sense. Ancelotti has played him at the top of the diamond for Chelsea twice this season and the game has just passed him by. Lampard has developed over the years as a great passer and a playmaker, certainly for Chelsea. Its good that Fabio has noticed this.

Really, how come? Tell more! :)

I think the match yesterday was a disgrace, it was payback time i guess
( i don't know much about football, but wasn't England kicked out of the qualification for the eu championship by croatia 2 years ago? -there's your revenge last night ;) )

I used to get asked 'Are you [insert nationality, usually Central or Eastern European, here]?' a lot. I got asked if I was Croatian because I was on a computer during a lesson at school and said, 'wow, this website's in Croatian!' to my friend, and then someone else sitting close to me asked if I was Croatian. :p
I'll stop hijacking the thread now. Enjoy your feetball discussion. :thumb:

Gerrard and Lampard were amazing last night. Not just because they scored two a piece, but Gerrard's quickness of feet and general intelligence, and Lampard's knowledge of knowing when to arrive in the penalty area, but Fabio knows how to play them together at last. Lampard has scored 6 goals in the last 7 internationals. Lampard is FAR better as a midfielder in a conventional sense. Ancelotti has played him at the top of the diamond for Chelsea twice this season and the game has just passed him by. Lampard has developed over the years as a great passer and a playmaker, certainly for Chelsea. Its good that Fabio has noticed this.

Decent analysis. Lampard is superior in the centre and Gerrard really has come into his own in the last couple of years as a second striker, it's pity that Heskey is taking a place in the squad that would suit him down to the ground.

Lampard is more direct than whoever has partnered Mascherano in Liverpool's midfield (including Aquilani when he's fit). If Gerrard were to play behind Rooney it would limit Lampard somewhat. That's the theory, anyway.

Lampard is more direct than whoever has partnered Mascherano in Liverpool's midfield (including Aquilani when he's fit). If Gerrard were to play behind Rooney it would limit Lampard somewhat. That's the theory, anyway.

Wouldn't Barry be the direct comparison to Mascherano/Aquilani?

Wouldn't Barry be the direct comparison to Mascherano/Aquilani?

I'm not sure how direct a comparison, but he plays the same role. The difference is that Liverpool play(ed) two holding midfielders (Alonso & Masch) and one attacking midfielder (Gerrard), whereas England would be playing with one holding (Barry) and two attacking (Lampard & Gerrard). I could see Lampard and Gerrard scrapping for space. It could work, of course. It's just my theory as to why Capello hasn't yet tried Gerrard in lieu of a second striker.

I'm not sure how direct a comparison, but he plays the same role. The difference is that Liverpool play(ed) two holding midfielders (Alonso & Masch) and one attacking midfielder (Gerrard), whereas England would be playing with one holding (Barry) and two attacking (Lampard & Gerrard). I could see Lampard and Gerrard scrapping for space. It could work, of course. It's just my theory as to why Capello hasn't yet tried Gerrard in lieu of a second striker.

I'm not sure you could classify Alonso as a holding midfielder really. He did sit deep but was more of a deep-lying playmaker, his defensive skills were minimal whenever I've seen him. I do take your overall point though.

Good call.

Heskey's an odd part of the equation. He can look very clumsy. He spends half the time on the ground, and his finishing is woeful. But he works very well with Rooney and is a vital part of England's attack overall in the buildup. As I recall, Capello has said as much.

That having been said, especially since they've qualified already, I agree that they should use this time to tinker with putting Gerrard in the second striker role. That should allow the two world class players to play their suited roles.

I would say that Liverpool have missed Alonso's defensive qualities more than his passing ability. Lucas is able to retain possession just as well; it's the defensive side of his game that lets him down. His creative passing is notably inferior to Alonso's, but precise long balls aren't exactly integral to Benitez's style of play, anyway.
Alonso is no Makalele, of course, but his ability to read the game, as they say, meant that he was able to intercept the ball better than any other, and then move it forward quickly. Invaluable on the counter.
It'll be interesting to see how Aquilani is integrated into this system. He's more similar to Fabregas than he is to Alonso.

Back to England. I can see why Capello is using Heskey as foil, but he's too limited a player. Crouch would be a better option, I reckon.
Target men are an ugly breed, anyway. They're never really on the pitch to play football so much as they are to take up space. That concept bothers me.

I would say that Liverpool have missed Alonso's defensive qualities more than his passing ability. Lucas is able to retain possession just as well; it's the defensive side of his game that lets him down. His creative passing is notably inferior to Alonso's, but precise long balls aren't exactly integral to Benitez's style of play, anyway.
Alonso is no Makalele, of course, but his ability to read the game, as they say, meant that he was able to intercept the ball better than any other, and then move it forward quickly. Invaluable on the counter.
It'll be interesting to see how Aquilani is integrated into this system. He's more similar to Fabregas than he is to Alonso.

Back to England. I can see why Capello is using Heskey as foil, but he's too limited a player. Crouch would be a better option, I reckon.
Target men are an ugly breed, anyway. They're never really on the pitch to play football so much as they are to take up space. That concept bothers me.

Is it possible that he is bowing to pressure to a certain extent? The "traditional" English set-up which relies more on power than skill is quite deeply ingrained in the minds of, not only commentators, but those in high echelons of the game. This battering-ram second striker role, in my opinion, limits the whole structure of the team and is generally only employed by banal second tier teams like Greece. England should really be aiming higher.

Back
Top Bottom