Express: "The Smiths split ‘bruised me emotionally, it turned to s*** with Morrissey’ – Johnny Marr" via Uncut Magazine (January 13, 2022)

the-smith-Morrissey-johnny-marr-1549398~2.jpg

By George Simpson.

"JOHNNY MARR has been brutally honest about his painful memories from The Smiths break-up and shared how he talks to everyone from his incredible career except for Morrissey."

Excerpt:

Speaking in a new interview with Uncut, the 58-year-old said: “[The Smiths are] one of the things I’m proudest of. One of the things that I must be proud about – not only myself but the whole group, because that was our MO. Whatever s*** was going on, nothing got in the way of what was coming out of speakers – and there’s a lot to get in the way.

“It’s a simplistic way of putting it, but one of the reasons I’ve been in so many bands was because I wanted to be loyal to them. It won’t come as any surprise when I say that I’m really close with everyone I’ve worked with – except for the obvious one. And that isn’t that much of a surprise because we’re so different, me and Morrissey. But all of these different musicians, I can pick up the phone to anyone, and just pick up from where we left off.

“Everyone I’ve worked with has been great. The only thing that turned to s*** was The Smiths. Which is a shame, but s*** happens. I hate talking about the group I formed in those terms, the group I loved. But, y’know, let’s get some perspective.”

This story was picked up from March's Uncut Magazine interview - here in full:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

(* page 94 was adverts - omitted)

Note: the Express article appeared prior to having access to the Uncut article - so, the 'media item' became the thread title.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
How refreshing it is to see Johnny acknowledging that this "standoff" upsets him, rather than just glossing over it by praising everyone else.

It's about time. He sounds so hurt, angry and disappointed - whilst also encouraging Moz to pick up the phone. Come on lads, life is too short for this bitterness to be the closing chapter.
No. Don’t come on lads. Just don’t. Please. No.
Just no.
Sorry, Amy.

and this is the reason a reunion will never take place,thank f u c k for that.
he talks to everyone from his musical career except M,he is more or less telling the world that M is a terrible person and yet johnboy cant stop talking about this terrible person.
how many times has M been derogatory to marr in the last 5 to 10 years,cant recall too many or even any at all.
like son like father.
Spot on 👌

Is it like when you said that you have read The Guardian for 35 years but then say that you don't read The Guardian? It does get confusing when you post so many untruths, doesn't it? I wonder why you do it... Are you ill?
🙄
Thinks he’s Boris....

Exactly. Just in time for the new 2LP Fever Dreams. Just mention Morrissey and you'll multiply the interest.

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde

Right, he's tried hard not to mention him, but they've got to sell magazines, need that click bait, including the "quote" in the title of this post, trying to stir up trouble, create controversy where there's none. The Smiths are done and buried, all that's left of them is the music, which is timeless.

No. Don’t come on lads. Just don’t. Please. No.
Just no.
Sorry, Amy.
No harm in a phone call. I wasn't asking for Glasto 😂

not gonna happen, but it would be so dope if they were able to get back together to write a song or two for a charity that they both love. Kinda like what System of a Down recently did. it doesn't even have to be "The Smiths" - just Marr and Morrissey

The obvious one really gets under Johnny’s skin.

I know of two friends in my life who I can just pick up from where we left off ages ago. I think if a person can do that with most everyone they know - then there’s something off about them.

I used to like Johnny but he just whines about the Smiths now. It’s somewhat sad.

not gonna happen, but it would be so dope if they were able to get back together to write a song or two for a charity that they both love. Kinda like what System of a Down recently did. it doesn't even have to be "The Smiths" - just Marr and Morrissey
I don’t know. I find the idea nauseating now.

The obvious one really gets under Johnny’s skin.

I know of two friends in my life who I can just pick up from where we left off ages ago. I think if a person can do that with most everyone they know - then there’s something off about them.

I used to like Johnny but he just whines about the Smiths now. It’s somewhat sad.

It's not everyone he knows, it's everyone he's collaborated with. If you're a musician, you'll know that can be an intense and intimate relationship that requires a connection to be successful.

"It got dragged out in the media. It went on and on for ages," he said, decades later, in his latest interview about The Smiths.
#IronyAlert

and this is the reason a reunion will never take place,thank f u c k for that.
he talks to everyone from his musical career except M,he is more or less telling the world that M is a terrible person and yet johnboy cant stop talking about this terrible person.
how many times has M been derogatory to marr in the last 5 to 10 years,cant recall too many or even any at all.
like son like father.
Morrissey did say Johnny Marr was Steven Spielberg’s first choice for E.T. I wasn’t at all offended by that comment just surprised he watched E.T. and knew who Steven Spielberg was.

Marr is a woke pussy jumping on the woke pussy bandwagon, bashing the person it's fun and popular to bash, blah blah blah. Making sure EVERYONE KNOWS he's distanced himself from Morrissey.

Unoriginal, cowardly, opportunistic c***. Gotta make sure nobody thinks he is still pals with Morrissey so that his record and ticket sales remain maximally unfettered. Hasn't written a good song since Electronic and even that music could have been SO MUCH BETTER if Morrissey, and not Sumner, was in charge.

Some of you knocking Johnny Marr for being on the woke bandwagon need to take a break from the Morrissey bandwagon and get some perspective.
You can have both. Speculating on the relationship between two people you don’t know is weird enough, never mind militantly taking the side of one of the people you don’t know and relentlessly slagging the other off.

Some good stuff in the article but really just Johnny ticking all the boxes you would expect him to tick.
Really nice to see him include a song by Emma Pollock ex of The Delgadoes on the CD.
She is a real talent.

Sounds like Johnny is reachin' out to Moz.
It'd be super cute if Johnny went and knocked
on Moz's door again.
He's flogging his album, name dropping everyone and anything to get media attention.
Him and that horrible c*** McCartney should team up.
They're both disgusting opportunistic failures.
Despicable clowns.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom