Facebook US & Facebook UK

So I was on the login page on Facebook and accidentally clicked on one of the languages that are listed across the page, when I clicked back on English, I realised that there was an English US and English UK.

I clicked on both and saw the only difference is above where you type your password it says 'forgot your password' on the US one, however on the UK one it says 'forgotten your password'.

Now am I right in thinking that you Americans don't use the word 'forgotten'. Like if you forget your password do you say I've forgot my password or do you say I've forgotten my password????

Forgot or forgotten?

I forgot my password. I have forgotten my password. I have forgotten to mail that letter for the past three days. I keep forgetting to reset my alarm clock.

"I have forgot" doesn't sound American.

This is because we have "super-past" tense in American English. "Forgot" is past tense. "Forgotten" means it happened either repeatedly, or an extra long time ago.

I'm making this up. I'm going to ask my friend Sarah, she's a huge grammar geek. I don't actually know any of the rules, I just know whether it's right or not. Not why.

Last edited:
The UK English version is obviously for the more intelligent people. :D
I would tend to agree with this statement. The word "forgotten" has far too many letters in it for the typical American public school student to know what it says.

I clicked on both and saw the only difference is above where you type your password it says 'forgot your password' on the US one, however on the UK one it says 'forgotten your password'.

Forgot or forgotten?

'forgot your password' sounds like a statement
'forgotten your password' sounds like a question

Roger Clemens Facebook has a "Misremembered your password?" link

forget
• verb (forgetting; past forgot; past part. forgotten or chiefly US forgot

And I never knew there was such a word as ‘forgetter'.

Alas I am a ‘rememberer'. :straightface:

Back
Top Bottom