Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE!

Re: Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE

Codreanu said:
The Grateful Dead (excepting, perhaps, the Aoxomoxoa album)
The Rolling Stones
The Clash
Aerosmith
Bob Marley (because Reggae is vile)

P.S. does Alex Chilton qualify?

alex chilton is AWESOME!!!

there are just too many thou (ima hateful person i suppose...) u2, queen, coldplay, dylan...and on and on and on.

Re: Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE

DAnn Coulter said:
Since I hate about 99% of music because it's mostIy crap, my Iist is EMORMOUS!.....So I wiII just respond to this thread by agreeing with AII of the above mentioned "artists" except for Springteen and The CIash.

I do have to mention Santana and f***ing EIton John .....VOMIT!!
Actually, I'm no fan of Elton, but the new Pet Shop Boys collaboration with him is fantastic.

May I jump in on the defence of Bob Marley and Reggae in general.

Just 'cause Morrissey makes a flippant comment doesn't mean you have to follow it. For me older reggae is absolutley fantastic. A World without 60's reggae would be a lot worse off.

Morrissey was no stranger to early Reggae anyway. Have you not read the numerous comments that both he and Johnny loved "Young, gifted and black"?

davdavon said:
I meant that the music was fascist, that is, bombastic, hyper-aesthetic, the kind of stuff that makes dozens of thousands of teenagers hold up their cigarette lighters and sing along... you know what I mean.

It isn't fascist. It allows fascism to triumph.

The same could be argued for Morrissey.

Reggae is WILD!

AlbertFinney said:

Just 'cause Morrissey makes a flippant comment doesn't mean you have to follow it. For me older reggae is absolutley fantastic. A World without 60's reggae would be a lot worse off.

Morrissey was no stranger to early Reggae anyway. Have you not read the numerous comments that both he and Johnny loved "Young, gifted and black"?

We're not all Cods! ;)

I love 60s and 70s reggae. But I still don't like Bob Marley.
I was going to make a thread later with some of my favorite reggae tracks for download to see if anyone liked them.
A world without Dr. Alimantado, Dandy Livingstone, Gregory Isaacs, Alton Ellis, Junior Murvin.... etc etc........ I shudder!

(still, no Bob Marley please! :) )

Last edited:

Worm said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. The second part of the post anyway. Roger Waters-era Pink Floyd is still among the best rock music ever recorded.

AlbertFinney said:

I've disliked Bob Marley since I was a know-nothing kid of 10 years...I disliked him even more when i turned into a Punk kid...and I still dislike him now that I'm at least a bit more mature and culturized in music...it's not eveything about Morrissey (you know I even eat meat)

well spreading hate i also hate Brian Molko

Worm said:

I can think of very few Morrissey songs that this could be argued for... the immediate suspect is Life Is A Pigsty (I can't listen to this song without imagining the Scorpions covering it... gosh... not a pleasant thing to imagine). But most Morrissey songs are, in my opinion, too minoric, too flawed (in a good sense) to sound fascist.

I just can't stand Bono and what U2 has become in the last years...Pure mainstream money-maker...

davdavon said:
I can think of very few Morrissey songs that this could be argued for... the immediate suspect is Life Is A Pigsty (I can't listen to this song without imagining the Scorpions covering it... gosh... not a pleasant thing to imagine). But most Morrissey songs are, in my opinion, too minoric, too flawed (in a good sense) to sound fascist.

I'm sorry, I must have been running off to pee or something. I sounded more cryptic than I intended.

Morrissey's music is not itself fascist. Most music is not in itself fascist nor does it actively promote fascism. However, the end result of the music-- the impact it makes on our society-- allows the actual forces of fascism to triumph. Obviously I'm painting in the broadest brushstrokes here. Music is an antidote to fascism for many people but the larger trends are much more powerful. The bitter irony is that rock and roll advertises itself as liberation.

Worm said:
I'm sorry, I must have been running off to pee or something. I sounded more cryptic than I intended.

Morrissey's music is not itself fascist. Most music is not in itself fascist nor does it actively promote fascism. However, the end result of the music-- the impact it makes on our society-- allows the actual forces of fascism to triumph. Obviously I'm painting in the broadest brushstrokes here. Music is an antidote to fascism for many people but the larger trends are much more powerful. The bitter irony is that rock and roll advertises itself as liberation.

I smell something here.... and it smells bad.

So if fans flying lighters to Pink Floyd songs is fascist, but thousands of crazed Moz fans chanting "MORRISSEY! MORRISSEY!" over and over again is not, then I see a double standard. However, I personally see nothing wrong with either instance.

macca gets on my wick, heres a macca joke
he bought his ex wife a plane for christmas, and he got her some imac for her other leg x
sorry guys, i had to do it xxxx

Worm said:

Umm... well, I must say that saying that the "end result of the music . . . allows the actual forces of fascism to triumph" is even more cryptic than what you said before...

Anyway, when I was referring to stadium-rock as fascist I didn't mean that it was serving fascist forces... it was a little tongue-in-cheek... I mean, well, first of all, just to be accurate, it's anachronistic describing contemporary social trends as "fascist" since fascism is a historical phenomenon and not an a-historical essence. There are certain social trends which romanticize violence (umm, yeah, Morrissey does that too) and have oppressive (in the liberal sense of the word) views, yes, but I wouldn't call them fascist.

And, well, to get to the point, when I was describing Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin as fascist I was referring to a certain type of aesthetics present in their music. Something grandiose, spotless, humorless. I wouldn't go so far to claim that it allows forces of fascism to triumph. I'm more concerned about the triumph of bad taste.

"Fascism" is a specific reference, yes, but it's generally accepted as a term with wider applications. I think what you're objecting to is the way in which the term is often misused, and I agree with you. It does get thrown around a lot by people who want it to mean anything they disagree with politically. Teachers tell their students to quiet down in the classroom and they get called fascists.

At any rate, it was probably useless to make the comment I made. (Perhaps worse than useless, as Jon has smelled something bad.) I'm not saying these bands are promoting fascism in one form or another. Rather, they open the door for unsavory influences beyond the music industry. Rock and roll has institutionalized rebellion to the point where it is controllable by "other" forces.

It's a proof's-in-the-pudding argument. We are now in the fourth or fifth generation of institutionalized, sanctioned rebellion. The ideas and attitudes of rock and roll have permeated every corner of society in America and the United Kingdom, and lots of other nations. So it's interesting to think about the following question: what sort of governments do we have?

...Vice-Admiral Timothy Keating, Commander of the US Fifth Fleet, and a distinguished Naval Aviator. He was addressing the crew of the aircraft carrier USS Constellation shortly before the first cruise missiles were fired [into Iraq], on March 20th.

He said, apparently borrowing a phrase from MC Hammer, the pop singer [as noted in the Detroit News]:

"Make no mistake, when the President says `Go', look out, it's hammer time. OK, it is hammer time".

Vice-Admiral Keating also said:

“We are going to make the world safer for our children and our grandchildren. There is a good reason for it. It is to save lives – your lives.

… you are dying to get home, as soon as the old man will let you go home.

We have done everything we can to avoid war. We are now going to do everything we can to win war. If and when he tells us to go. Stay ready. The President is counting on you.

Mr. President, the men and women of the Connie Battle Group are by God ready”.

Ironically it was reported that ship's loudspeakers at some point played the Queen song “We Will Rock You”.

Last edited:

Something grandiose, spotless, humorless. I wouldn't go so far to claim that it allows forces of fascism to triumph. I'm more concerned about the triumph of bad taste.

I'll give you that Pink Floyd is grandiose, spotless and humorless (although Zeppelin sings about Lord of the Rings at times for God's sake), but I will disagree with you that Pink Floyd's music is in bad taste. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom