Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE!

Re: Reggae is WILD!

dallow_bg said:
We're not all Cods! ;)

I love 60s and 70s reggae. But I still don't like Bob Marley.
I was going to make a thread later with some of my favorite reggae tracks for download to see if anyone liked them.
A world without Dr. Alimantado, Dandy Livingstone, Gregory Isaacs, Alton Ellis, Junior Murvin.... etc etc........ I shudder!

(still, no Bob Marley please! :) )

One of my all time favourite records is "Suzanne beware of the devil", it just got an ace vibe to it ;)

Bob Marley was around with all those people too though. He just went with a tad more polished sound later in life. I never ever, ever listen to Bob Marley but I can appreciate that he was able to make a good record.

Bob Marley is massively over played but I'm not so sure he deserves a barracking. Much like Abba or AC/DC, he made good pop records. I guess it's all about proportionate acclaim.

Re: Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE

David said:
Something grandiose, spotless, humorless. I wouldn't go so far to claim that it allows forces of fascism to triumph. I'm more concerned about the triumph of bad taste.

I'll give you that Pink Floyd is grandiose, spotless and humorless (although Zeppelin sings about Lord of the Rings at times for God's sake), but I will disagree with you that Pink Floyd's music is in bad taste. To each his own.

Yeah, well, I didn't mean to offend you (or anyone else, for that matter)... you know, this thread is bound to make people annoyed, since it's all about expressing your dislike for artists that many other people like... I was horrified to see people putting down the Beatles, Dylan or Tom Waits... but I'm learning to live with it... well, I try...

Worm said:
At any rate, it was probably useless to make the comment I made. (Perhaps worse than useless, as Jon has smelled something bad.) I'm not saying these bands are promoting fascism in one form or another. Rather, they open the door for unsavory influences beyond the music industry. Rock and roll has institutionalized rebellion to the point where it is controllable by "other" forces.

It's a proof's-in-the-pudding argument. We are now in the fourth or fifth generation of institutionalized, sanctioned rebellion. The ideas and attitudes of rock and roll have permeated every corner of society in America and the United Kingdom, and lots of other nations. So it's interesting to think about the following question: what sort of governments do we have?

Yes, well, you could say, in a Baudrillardian manner, that rock'n'roll simulates rebellion to hide the fact that there is no rebellion (probably sounds better in French). And I guess it's half-right. I'm not sure it's something new. It could be argued that rock'n'roll's institutionalized rebellion follows the tradition of the medieval carnivals. But, anyway, I think one must admit that rock music did play a subjective part - if only a minor one - in certain emancipatory trends in the western world - the anti-war movement of the '60s, queer pride in the '70s, or the way hip-hop music gave black youth from the American ghettos a voice in the mainstream.

Returning to the "fascist music" subject, I think we have to discern between two different notions regarding rock music's social role. On the one hand, we have the Adornian concept of "real" art having an emancipatory role by itself, owing mainly to its aesthetic values, which, I think, was more what I was aiming at when I made the original "fascist" comment (not to imply that I totally subscribe to Adorno's views - he probably would've brushed off most of the music I like as "culture industry".) Then, we have the more "purely" sociological view of rock music as an instrument that serves deeper cultural trends, which I think - if I got you right - that was what you were aiming at. (Of course I'm simplifying things).

Is the important question "what sort of governments do we have"? Well, it's one important question, though I think it's a little too reductive - it gives the political sphere (in the popular, narrow sense of the word) more credit than it deserves. But, well, I guess we're stirring a little off-topic here... so I'll rephrase my original argument - Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are crap. (Okay, maybe except for Floyd's '67-'71 era and Zeppelin's first album).

Re: Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE

dazzak said:
Actually, I'm no fan of Elton, but the new Pet Shop Boys collaboration with him is fantastic.

I hate to have to agree.....StiII hope EIton John dies a sIow painfuI DEATH!!

PS - The new PSB aIbum is great, just got it the other day.....weII worth the buy.

I never understood the beatles i just think they're boring errgh
I love bob marley you can't go wrong with his best of
U2 are utter shit, stupid paddys (being irish i can say that)
I don't mind a lot of music but singers that i can't understand what they're saying in music, mumbling incoherently or screaming incoherently (like muse...don't tell my girlfriend) is a waste....sooound the words out so we can understand you.

Godlovesugly said:
I never understood the beatles i just think they're boring errgh
I love bob marley you can't go wrong with his best of
U2 are utter shit, stupid paddys (being irish i can say that)
I don't mind a lot of music but singers that i can't understand what they're saying in music, mumbling incoherently or screaming incoherently (like muse...don't tell my girlfriend) is a waste....sooound the words out so we can understand you.

I think you might be on to something with your U2 remark. I put a lot of their success down to Irish Nationalism. Pretty much everyone I know who's loved them has been Irish. Then again, I do live in Ireland :o , I didn't always though ;) They're over-rated tosh anyway.

Godlovesugly said:

Well...I do understand what Bellamy sings :) .

Ambrosia said:
Well...I do understand what Bellamy sings :) .

TEACH ME TO UNDERSTAND?! i just looked puzzled when she played a dvd of them to me..i even asked her and she just said...."flying" or something like that..maybe i'm deaf :confused:

ZZ Top :(

Don't hate me because you didn't think of them first...

What? how dare anybody say something bad about Bob Marley, don't you understand music? That's music in the purest form, best performer live ever, no doubt.

Santana!!!!!!!!

I've always found Marley to be an incredibly lazy artist. Few too many spliffs. Best reggae for me is Toots and the Maytals and Jimmy Cliff. Real sense of fun and gravitas thrown in.

Talking about fascist music: Michael Jackson! (But I have to admit that I liked him when I was 10-11 years old)

I am glad to see I'm not the only one who loves 60's-70's reggae. Horace Andy is one of my favorite singers of all time.

I agree that U2 has been shit for a long time, but I really love the early stuff. Their first album, "Boy" is brilliant, and also "October" and "War" have some pretty unforgettable songs in my opinion.

But I'm not much of a hater when it come to music. Hating a band is just not worth my energy. Why not just simply avoid it?

Pit Maravich said:
I love them :D
well their last album was a bit of a let down but the guitarist john frusciante is f***ing amazing, very talented young man...good looking too :p

the beatles,
the rolling stones,
Queen,
Bob Dylan,
Mariah Carey (if she fits),
Eminem (again, if he counts),
Bob Marley etc,
U2.

And a few others that i cant think of just for the moment.

Prince
Queen
Elton John
Micheal Jackson
Whitney Houston
Duran Duran
Brooooooce
George Micheal
Sting

Back
Top Bottom