Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE!

Re: the most overrated artists of all time

Wow, what a great thread of stupid (and often uninformed) opinions that mean nothing to anyone. Lets make a thread about underrated artists and we will see all of these supposed overrated bands be reposted.

STFU.jpg

The Beach Boys, Madonna, The Rolling Stones (who sounded like nothing but a garage band, by the way), Nirvana, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Joy Division (They put out a few good sounds, but I honestly like Ian's voice sounds horrible after listening to a few songs and they're down right depressing, not even good at being morose), Sisters of Mercy (I don't much care for the lead singer's voice, but I do like a few songs off the one record of theirs that I own).

The Beach Boys, Madonna, The Rolling Stones (who sounded like nothing but a garage band, by the way), Nirvana, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Joy Division (They put out a few good sounds, but I honestly like Ian's voice sounds horrible after listening to a few songs and they're down right depressing, not even good at being morose), Sisters of Mercy (I don't much care for the lead singer's voice, but I do like a few songs off the one record of theirs that I own).

Oh, you are SO right about the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A lot of people who otherwise have good taste in music seem to like them, and I really can't understand why.

Guilty dislikes

With reference to the ongoing topic "guilty pleasures", there's a flip side to that, just to double the embarassment - the bands and artists who have obvious talent and artistic integrity and who are liked by people whose taste you trust. But who you just never could manage to actually like. You know, the sort of thisng you really feel you ought to like and perhaps don't even quite understand why you don't, but it just doesn't happen.

Mine:

PJ Harvey: Fantastic woman. Great voice. Music that sounds good. And not a single song I've ever liked.

Portishead: Sombre melancholic songs, check. Great voice, check. Strikingly original sound, check. So, why doesn't anything happen when I listen to it? They don't do anything for me.

Bob Dylan: I've tried. I really have.

Travis: Okay, so they're not in the obvious ought-to-like category, any more than Coldplay or Keane. But everything is relative, and with Coldplay and Keane I at least understand perfectly why people like them, their music consisting of the most easily digestible and radio-friendly bits of U2 and Radiohead respectively. But Travis? I mean, what's the deal? I've given their vaunted debut album several close listenings, and as far as I can make out, there is nothing in there. Zip. Zilch.

cheers

Re: Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE

While I'm horrified by the inclusion of Jeff Buckley, all is forgiven by the inclusion of U2.

Oh yes, and Jeff Buckley. :) Except for his cover of The boy with a thorn in his side.

Sorry about starting a new thread, I should have realised there would already be an old one. Anyway, the thing with this in my opinion is to not make into a discussion about who is "overrated", that's not what it's about. It's more a question about there being bands and artists you're just not capable of liking, even if you realise that there are some qualities in their music. We all have them.

cheers

Re: Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE

Phil Collins
Mariah Carey
Dire Straits
ELO
Robbie Williams
U2
James Blunt

ELO? It seems kind of random. Did you really hate the harmonies ir is it the lyrics?

Phil Collins is definitely on my list.

Phil Collins is definitely on my list.

You're just baiting me, aren't ya? ;)

What did Phil Collins ever do to you? Or anyone else. He's done singing, you know. (insert joke here) His new passion is the Alamo in Texas. "The Alamo is 'my main thing' as a collector, history buff and possible author". So, back off Buster! :mad::p

You're just baiting me, aren't ya? ;)

What did Phil Collins ever do to you? Or anyone else. He's done singing, you know. (insert joke here) His new passion is the Alamo in Texas. "The Alamo is 'my main thing' as a collector, history buff and possible author". So, back off Buster! :mad::p

I had a bum in NY sing Phil Collins to me the other night. so I gave him some change and told him he had a lovely singing voice. ...i forget the song now though, hmmm

I had a bum in NY sing Phil Collins to me the other night. so I gave him some change and told him he had a lovely singing voice. ...i forget the song now though, hmmm

Easy lover? ;)

Cool, nugz :cool:

haha nooo

There's a street performer in the subway every afternoon that has an incredible voice. I give him change all the time. He could win American Idol. :D

Oh, you are SO right about the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A lot of people who otherwise have good taste in music seem to like them, and I really can't understand why.

They always sound out of tune to me. I know they're trying to be jazzy and edgy, but they don't quite have the skill to carry it off. There's also an unpleasant "date-rapist"/thug vibe to them that's incredibly off-putting.

I don't hate him but I think Bruce Springsteen is overrated, at least his current stuff is. His singing is very labored, almost strangled-sounding. Not my idea of a good time.

Dave Matthews Band: tuneless and annoying

Beyonce: see above. Beautiful lass, but sings not only off-key but out of time too.

Re: Guilty dislikes

The biggest laugh I ever got from reading the NME was the letters page in 1994 or 1995. Someone wrote in out of the blue, apropos nothing, and said "I know it's considered a classic, but has anyone actually listened to Patti Smith's 'Horses' lately? It's absolute shit". It was an album I have tried for years to listen to and like. (I've developed a fondness for a few tracks, but rarely make it through the whole album in one listen.)

Some others:

Led Zeppelin. Total bewilderment.

Bob Marley. Want to appreciate his integrity, hate his music.

Elvis Presley. Beautiful to look at.

Duran Duran. How? Why?

Prince. "Genius, genius, genius". I'll just be napping in the corner, thanks.

Public Image Limited. A band I like-- but do not love or consider astonishingly innovative, although they might well be.

Sonic Youth. The genuinely great songs they've recorded don't quite make it worth trekking through the desert of their entire catalog.

The Cure. This is so self-evident I can't even be bothered to list a reason.

Last edited:

Bod Dylan. I've tried. I realise he is regarded as a a poet but I can't get past the nauseating vocals. I am obviously a philistine.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers put socks on their penises for god's sake. How can that be well-respected.... now if you use a 7" vinyl record.:lbf:

Um plenty of others for sure. The Small Faces being one. The Clash. Bruce Springsteen. Chemical Brothers. I could go on but I won't....

Beatles
Prince :barf:
Sting
Frank Sinatra

Van Morrison is a prick and his music is shite.

Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Bruce Springsteen
Sonic Youth
Bob Dylan

I subscribe the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" theory of music--most bands have at least one or two tracks that I'll allow are quite good (which is why I took Elton John and Sting off my original list). But the aforementioned have no redeeming qualities, in my opinion. No, not even the precious beloved Beatles.

--jeniphir

Last edited:

U2, of course
Oasis
Led Zeppelin
REM
Springsteen
Nirvanaaaaaaaaaaa..... bastards!

I don't see how anyone could hate Folsom Prison Blues or Cry, Cry, Cry!!??!:squiffy:

Edit: Oh, yeah, Van Morrison and Sting

Back
Top Bottom