"Father Who Must Be Killed " live ?

123xyz

Subscriber
I know it was only played once or twice live but did anyone ever manage to grab a decent-quality recording of this ?

I always liked the eerie, disturbing feel of this song , particularly in the verses. If only the guitars on the album recording had more ... I don't know , brunt ?

I know it was only played once or twice live but did anyone ever manage to grab a decent-quality recording of this ?

I always liked the eerie, disturbing feel of this song , particularly in the verses. If only the guitars on the album recording had more ... I don't know , brunt ?

Love this song, especially the lyrics. I have a good(ish) live version, from the Roskilde festival one year. I will dig it out, upload it and post the link soon.

I like this song a lot too; I know it does not get much love.

The most interesting thing about the live version is that it brings the guitar solo to the fore; it's actually a nice, playful, brief little thing. In the album mix it is all but nonexistent.

From the Guildhall, Portsmouth show, May 19 2006. Very decent audience recording, at 128.

And from Greenock a month earlier, at 192. Slightly inferior recording to Portsmouth but still listenable.

Thank you for posting these. The Portsmouth one does have a surprisingly jaunty air to its chorus. I am so fond of the transition at the 1.15m mark - from almost singalong to forlorn and desperate . It all meshes together wonderfully - the vocal melody's descent, the word " downstairs" in the lyrics and that guitar corkscrewing into decline.

Last edited:
The most interesting thing about the live version is that it brings the guitar solo to the fore; it's actually a nice, playful, brief little thing. In the album mix it is all but nonexistent.

As is most of Alain's playing on ROTT, apparently.

Thanks for sharing the live versions.

This is a great recording, thanks for suggesting this and posting it. Never heard it live before, which is a shame because it's probably my favourite song on Ringleader of The Tormentors, give or take.

Nice live version from Portsmouth. Thanks for sharing.

Ringleader actually stands up fairly well six years on. Better than Quarry overall, I think. The problem with Ringleader is it kinda pitters out at the end. The last three tracks are not very good, though I do think "At Last I Am Born" is respectable attempt at something a little different. I just never need to hear the song again.

Last edited:
Nice live version from Portsmouth. Thanks for sharing.

Ringleader actually stands up fairly well six years on. Better than Quarry overall, I think. The problem with Ringleader is it kinda pitters out at the end. The last three tracks are not very good, though I do think "At Last I Am Born" is respectable attempt at something a little different. I just never need to hear the song again.

I think your right about that. My major issue with Ringleader is the mix, which this live performance shows, could have been better. Father who must be killed stands out so much better when the guitar is brought to the front; I barely even heard the guitar solo on the album version. It is strange that the production of this album on songs like this isn't particularly good, when Visconti is meant to be an excellent producer.

I think your right about that. My major issue with Ringleader is the mix, which this live performance shows, could have been better. Father who must be killed stands out so much better when the guitar is brought to the front; I barely even heard the guitar solo on the album version. It is strange that the production of this album on songs like this isn't particularly good, when Visconti is meant to be an excellent producer.

The mix/production on "Ringleader" sounds as though someone draped blankets over all the speakers. I'd say , in addition to "Father" , "Life Is a Pigsty" suffers badly from this treatment - I can't think of a live version of this track that , in my opinion, doesn't sound exponentially better than the studio effort.

It's an interesting point about Visconti you make i.e. how/why did someone with such a well-deserved reputation ( I'm thinking of, for example, Bowie's album "Heathen" ) muffle the songs like this ? Still , I guess that also raises the issue of Morrissey's personal mix preferences and the extent to which he may overrule producers/studio staff/etc...

Last edited:
The mix/production on "Ringleader" sounds as though someone draped blankets over all the speakers.

Well put. It is a quite muddy mix with few highs or lows. As an example, after the siren intro on "Youngest" you expect that the music should really come pounding in, but it doesn't. It wimpers in as if walking into a meeting 5 minutes late.

Back
Top Bottom