Favorite concert quotes

Sometimes I wonder if Morrissey isn't for reals a little :crazy:. I mean this life can make a person kinda crazy if they aren't careful. Asking for heads seems a tad dark.

Raleigh 97 -"It is so nice to be here. Where am I?
Raleigh 97 -"This song was covered by Whitney Houston" right before Paint A Vulgar
Also in Raleigh, when he stopped the band during Shoplifters and said to the bouncers."Wait, wait, this isn't World War III, Be gentle". Then started Shoplifters again

Washington
2004- Right when he came out he said "It's wet, it's Wednesday, it's Washington" then crancked into How Soon Is Now

Morrissey's first words in Dublin, Dec 2004 as he first slid onto the stage that night, was both a pun on the venue's name "Now this is the Point!" and an exultant affirmation of what makes us all tick around here.

Sadly they replaced the Point since with another O2 location, but that's besides the p.... :p

Raleigh 97 -"It is so nice to be here. Where am I?"

That is wonderful. He does have a sparkling wit, doesn't he. Unless you're Mike Joyce.

One from the Malmo 02 bootleg:

Morrissey: You will not know the words to this next song, neither do I, you won't believe me. It's call the first of the gang to die. You don't know this song!
Crowd: YES!
Morrissey: NO! NO!

then after the song

Morrissey: Here is another song, which you will NOT know the words.
Crowd: Yes we will!
Morrissey: How come? You were in Copenhagen! Me too!

One from the Malmo 02 bootleg:

Morrissey: You will not know the words to this next song, neither do I, you won't believe me. It's call the first of the gang to die. You don't know this song!
Crowd: YES!
Morrissey: NO! NO!

then after the song

Morrissey: Here is another song, which you will NOT know the words.
Crowd: Yes we will!
Morrissey: How come? You were in Copenhagen! Me too!

I like how he mumbles during this and screams

"Now of course, you may all be half smiling, but Oxford is the shame of England and you know why... Because of Oxford University and the vivisection, which is disgusting! But make no mistake... for anybody working at those labs, we're gonna get you."
"If you agree with vivisection, go and be vivisected upon yourself"
OXFORD 2006

From the 2nd night of the birthday gigs in May 2009;

"I will see you either up there (pointing up) or down there (pointing down) and meanwhile, thanks for saving my life..."

Well, I remember he started the whole thing with something like "You don't have to stay in your seats if you don't really want to" after several aborted attempts to storm the stage. Course, that led to a generalised push to the stage, at least one broken leg, and a cancelled rest of the concert. :(

I took video of that. :D It was a great quote.
http://www.youtube.com/user/faunaandkatie?feature=mhum#p/u/6/W1fi0W-JhBs

One of my favorites is the baby seals at the Hammerstein in NYC '07:
"baby seals are everywhere in Toronto, driving the buses, swinging from trees"....something to that effect.

From the 2nd night of the birthday gigs in May 2009;

"I will see you either up there (pointing up) or down there (pointing down) and meanwhile, thanks for saving my life..."

Last edited:
among the gigs I attended:
Rome 2006 "Mamma Roma!"
RAH 2009 "Fasten your seat belt, is gonna be a bumpy night!"

among the gigs I've listened on bootlegs or something
Manchester 2004 "whatever happens, please don't forget me"
Los angeles 2009 "in your filthy dreams you will remember me in this way"
Summer Sonic 2002 "we would like to say thank you to Elvis Presley because there is a light that never goes out"

Back
Top Bottom