Favourite Post-Wilderness Single (excluding EILS re-issue)?

Favourite Post-Wilderness Single (excluding EILS re-issue)?

• Irish Blood, English Heart

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • First Of The Gang To Die

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Let Me Kiss You

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I Have Forgiven Jesus

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Redondo Beach/There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • You Have Killed Me

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • The Youngest Was The Most Loved

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In The Future When All's Well

• I Just Want To See The Boy Happy

• That's How People Grow Up

• All You Need Is Me

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Something Is Squeezing My Skull

• Glamorous Glue

• Suedehead (Mael Mix)

• Total voters
They're all pretty meh, frankly, in the light of the preceding decade.

Let Me Kiss You
was probably his last great single, in terms of a self-contained group of songs.

They're all pretty meh, frankly, in the light of the preceding decade.

Let Me Kiss You
was probably his last great single, in terms of a self-contained group of songs.

I picked Let Me Kiss You also. I was going to pick Glamorous Clue to be awkward, but it should never have been a single anyway. Your right though, he's had the most terrible singles in the last 10 years.

For me it was between Something Is Squeezing My Skull and I Have Forgiven Jesus. I picked Jesus because I think it is the most underrated single in the face of the other (much overplayed) Quarry era songs, First of The Gang and Irish Blood, but also because it is probably the song I return to most out of Morrissey's Post-Wilderness output.

Maybe a little controversial of a choice, but I chose "You Have Killed Me." I truly enjoy the song. (I probably should duck after saying that, I know.)
I also really like the name-drops to the Italian directors in the lyrics, and I think it sounds great performed live.

Last edited:
Maybe a little controversial of a choice, but I chose "You Have Killed Me." I truly enjoy the song. (I probably should duck after saying that, I know.)
I also really like the name-drops to the Italian directors in the lyrics, and I think it sounds great performed live.

It's not a horrible choice. It was a good single as a package deal. You Have Killed Me is probably one of Tobias' better offerings; granted that's not saying much and it was six years ago...

I think a lot of people seem to agree with you about it being played well live, because when he played it at the manchester gig, the crowd around me were really going for it and cheering when the song started. I also think it's a good song, definately one of the high points of Ringleader, which isn't a bad album either.

I have picked Jesus but I also love 'You have killed me' and most of the others.

Jesus wins out because of the Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday bit, pathetic but fantastic also.
The keyboard driven instrumentation is stunning, plus he looked fab dressed as a priest. Blasphemous and blooming marvellous...

Re: Favourite Post-Wilderness era Single (excluding EILS re-issue)?

Singles from ...Quarry- 50%
Singles from Ringleader...- 15%
Singles from ..Refusal- 32%

Alain Whyte- 62%
Jesse Tobia- 23%
Boz Boorer- 14%

It's a shame In The Future When All's Well isn't getting much love, personally I voted for IBEH but Future is a great song and in my opinion the best single from Ringleader.

I voted for In The Future When All's Well because the lyrics are so boastful and poignant. The more and more I think of it, I really enjoyed You Have Killed Me because I remember several instances when he names off "Luca Toni", "Del Piero" and "Cannavaro" in the lyrics. Fantastic footballers. A shame he never started the song with, "Francesco Totti you will never be" ;)

Back
Top Bottom