Film-making Morrissey fan can't listen to The Smiths anymore after directing frontman's biopic

Film-making Morrissey fan can't listen to The Smiths anymore after directing frontman's biopic - Daily Record
Mark Gill admits the 10-year labour of love left him unable to enjoy the music of his teenage years.

BY FRANCESCA GOSLING

Interesting article for the D.Record.
Regards,
FWD.

(oh, weird link of the day: the D.Record selected this article to link to the video of Morrissey leaving the stage early in Poland due to 'heckling' about cancer:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/watch-morrissey-storm-stage-poland-4667114)

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily Record:
Film-making Morrissey fan can't listen to The Smiths anymore after directing frontman's biopic.

View attachment 41955

"Mark Gill admits the 10-year labour of love left him unable to enjoy the music of his teenage years."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/movies/film-making-morrissey-fan-cant-10915023

Interesting article for the D.Record.
Regards,
FWD.

(oh, weird link of the day: the D.Record selected this article to link to the video of Morrissey leaving the stage early in Poland due to 'heckling' about cancer:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/watch-morrissey-storm-stage-poland-4667114)

I remember the next evening Moz was spotted by a fan in the next city of the tour, was it Krakov? Feeding the swans.:)
It was mentioned here on solo, maybe in the tour section.

in case anyone from Scotland is wondering where can i see it.cineworld in renfield street has four showings a day for the next week.im going Saturday.

I am exactly the same and I haven't listened to them in ages and I never will again. I also used to love U2 but a song by them makes me physically ill now.

The Smiths become a part of your dna so no need to listen and awake a past you probably are better off for forgetting.

I am exactly the same and I haven't listened to them in ages and I never will again. I also used to love U2 but a song by them makes me physically ill now.

The Smiths become a part of your dna so no need to listen and awake a past you probably are better off for forgetting.
I can't make sense of that. How could you stop listening to something you loved for years? A great album never dies. Nothing Moz or 'England Is Mine' or anyone says can ever change the music. It just 'is'.

How did it cost millions? Does Iron Man make a guest appearance at the end credits? If I had to compare Moz to a superhero I think it would be Dr.Strange. That's not an insult either.

I can't make sense of that. How could you stop listening to something you loved for years? A great album never dies. Nothing Moz or 'England Is Mine' or anyone says can ever change the music. It just 'is'.

Exactly, it just is and I leave it at that. But I believe that music is part of another life and that I moved on. I have never been at Solo cause of Morrissey which may sound weird.

I know every tune and word and sound but I cannot make myself listen to it now. There simply is no need for me to do that now.

Music is as we know the most important useless thing ever created by man and idolisation is a complete waste of time.

He said: “I find people who are struggling with the idea of themselves to be very honest people, and very endearing."

He talks about me there and that sums Morrissey up and why he became such an inspiration and fascination for so many people.

How did it cost millions? Does Iron Man make a guest appearance at the end credits? If I had to compare Moz to a superhero I think it would be Dr.Strange. That's not an insult either.

Even small movies cost cost a bunch (well a lot in terms we probably think about) with equipment editing and actors (lowden might not be huge yet but he's not a nobody either). According to this a low budget film is averaged to have a budget of a little over two million.

https://stephenfollows.com/average-budget-low-micro-budget-film/

Control for instance had a budget of six and a half million for its budget

Exactly, it just is and I leave it at that. But I believe that music is part of another life and that I moved on. I have never been at Solo cause of Morrissey which may sound weird.

I know every tune and word and sound but I cannot make myself listen to it now. There simply is no need for me to do that now.

Music is as we know the most important useless thing ever created by man and idolisation is a complete waste of time.
It still doesn't make sense. You weren't molested. It's okay to go home again. You don't need to idolize anything. It's just music.

More importantly, don't let aging kill your spirit, unless it was already dead in the first place. There's more to life than waiting to die.

I very rarely listen to the albums anymore. There's something about listening to an album so many times, it begins to go in one ear and out the other. Hard to explain. Live experiences are just as great as ever though, so I have lost no passion for that.

You know why you can't make sense of that? Because it's a load of shit.

you have to separate the two characters,this film isn't about the Morrissey we come here to talk about. its about a young shy guy whos trying to find his way in this world,because of the tribalism we had in Britain in the late seventies to early eighties you were either being chased or chasing somebody else.it was a violent time then.morrissey has mentioned a few times of being chased by gangs,its like a badge of honour.i was a fast runner,

It still doesn't make sense. You weren't molested. It's okay to go home again. You don't need to idolize anything. It's just music.

More importantly, don't let aging kill your spirit, unless it was already dead in the first place. There's more to life than waiting to die.

I believe there is a time and place for everything in life. Morrissey and music filled a purpose once but then I moved on like I always have. I am not the type that stick to things forever.

Listening to it now would fill no purpose and maybe it would even kill the good and bad memories and change something that once was perfection.

It is like a stored expensive bottle of wine and that cellar door must remain shut. Ageing itself does not kill your spirit but life and other people do. Everyone is waiting for the day they die even if they push that thought away.

Those that admit that seem to live much more fulfilling lives than those that chase fun things in life as if life was some sort of competition. I find it hilarious that most Moz fans are not anywhere near being in touch with the subjects the man is about. He might as well have inherited the fans of The Spice Girls.

Music has no place anymore like it used to do and it really died overnight. Only those that saw the deep meaning of it realise that.

You know why you can't make sense of that? Because it's a load of shit.

It is my shit, others feel different. We do live in a time where peoples own experiences are ridiculed and used as a way to hate them. Whenever those haters are subject of that themselves they tend to break down and cry.

I know it is provocative to say that music doesn't matter anymore and that I can't listen to it. But I am older and young people always take it the wrong way and maybe the fact they burst onto the scene late on means they are extra sensitive to other peoples views on it.

I had my time and enjoyed it now you can do the same.

This all makes for an interesting discussion. I go through phases where I binge on music. I could spend two months listening to everything by Paul Weller (The Jam, solo), couple months of everything by Moz, couple months of New Order, etc etc. I'm trying to be a bit more balanced these days. But I can't think of any band or music that I've completely turned my back on.

This all makes for an interesting discussion. I go through phases where I binge on music. I could spend two months listening to everything by Paul Weller (The Jam, solo), couple months of everything by Moz, couple months of New Order, etc etc. I'm trying to be a bit more balanced these days. But I can't think of any band or music that I've completely turned my back on.

I think most do that and I sure did. Then some periods of my life I simply could not listen at all. I would never urge anyone to become a fan of anything and instead focus on what they can do themselves instead.

I fear sometimes that people get far too caught up in other peoples business for their own good. You only realise that as you get older and today all music is political in a way I just cannot stomach. Not always cause of the artists and bands but because it gets hijacked by political people and turned into something else meaning the artists and bands struggle to know what to do cause any kind of comment could jeopardise their career.

I have noticed in recent years how more and more people turn away from culture and art cause they do not feel they belong to it cause of the political agendas. Maybe all that finally just killed all the fun and all those people had to turn to other things to find a meaning in life plus ageing always means you change.

I was 20 and 30 thinking I would be a fan of music for life but everyone changes sooner or later and move on.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom