Film-making Morrissey fan can't listen to The Smiths anymore after directing frontman's biopic

Film-making Morrissey fan can't listen to The Smiths anymore after directing frontman's biopic - Daily Record
Mark Gill admits the 10-year labour of love left him unable to enjoy the music of his teenage years.

BY FRANCESCA GOSLING

Interesting article for the D.Record.
Regards,
FWD.

(oh, weird link of the day: the D.Record selected this article to link to the video of Morrissey leaving the stage early in Poland due to 'heckling' about cancer:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/watch-morrissey-storm-stage-poland-4667114)

Last edited by a moderator:
went to watch in Mancunia this evening. Excellent film, a must see. Poetic licence with some of the facts but most enjoyable

went to watch in Mancunia this evening. Excellent film, a must see. Poetic licence with some of the facts but most enjoyable

I can imagine the crowd!

LOL

For all the love I felt for the place I can just imagine what a sight it is now when it comes to the people so scared of the harsh reality outside their made up little communist hell hole.

Some are too scared to even read the Daily Mail!

THEY ARE COMING FOR YOU MANCHESTER!

I think most do that and I sure did. Then some periods of my life I simply could not listen at all. I would never urge anyone to become a fan of anything and instead focus on what they can do themselves instead.

I fear sometimes that people get far too caught up in other peoples business for their own good. You only realise that as you get older and today all music is political in a way I just cannot stomach. Not always cause of the artists and bands but because it gets hijacked by political people and turned into something else meaning the artists and bands struggle to know what to do cause any kind of comment could jeopardise their career.

I have noticed in recent years how more and more people turn away from culture and art cause they do not feel they belong to it cause of the political agendas. Maybe all that finally just killed all the fun and all those people had to turn to other things to find a meaning in life plus ageing always means you change.

I was 20 and 30 thinking I would be a fan of music for life but everyone changes sooner or later and move on.

But where to?
You clearly can make a distinction between the art itself and the way it can be misused for political propaganda by others then the artists themselves.
Cause you noticed it.

You can correct or criticise me Urbanus, but I feel art in as broad as you want to see it, is and has always been a territory of freedom and anyone inspired or challenged to create something in any way can be free in that environment, for as long as it takes cause I am not optimistic for future developments. I can see a development where politicians, governments, and all kind of ideologically motivated forces, in their utmost good intentions, will try to ban certain expressions cause they think to know and have the believe to know what is morally good and wrong.
Just like religions do.

It is a process already going on and believe me the only freedom that would still exist would be the freedom of thought itself but not the expression of it.
And even there the powers that be, that will tell the public what to think and what not are already thinking about ways to influence the freedom of thought.
To keep the public quite, to tranquilize them cause the public has always been seen by the mighty as a danger and they want to control that danger.

Individual freedom for individual people was a nice idea.
If there has ever been a prediction that was insightful and in hindsight almost scaringly close to what could happen in the future it was written in the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
It will happen just like that, believe me.

But where to?
You clearly can make a distinction between the art itself and the way it can be misused for political propaganda by others then the artists themselves.
Cause you noticed it.

You can correct or criticise me Urbanus, but I feel art in as broad as you want to see it, is and has always been a territory of freedom and anyone inspired or challenged to create something in any way can be free in that environment, for as long as it takes cause I am not optimistic for future developments. I can see a development where politicians, governments, and all kind of ideologically motivated forces, in their utmost good intentions, will try to ban certain expressions cause they think to know and have the believe to know what is morally good and wrong.
Just like religions do.

It is a process already going on and believe me the only freedom that would still exist would be the freedom of thought itself but not the expression of it.
And even there the powers that be, that will tell the public what to think and what not are already thinking about ways to influence the freedom of thought.
To keep the public quite, to tranquilize them cause the public has always been seen by the mighty as a danger and they want to control that danger.

Individual freedom for individual people was a nice idea.
If there has ever been a prediction that was insightful and in hindsight almost scaringly close to what could happen in the future it was written in the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
It will happen just like that, believe me.

See, you do know the truth then but you turn the coat when you talk to pussy like Rifke cause she is a white anti white men woman who will marry a banana eating oompa loompa one day.

Trump won cause of the things I mentioned and we are coming for you all when the war comes and we will not forgive the way you race traitors acted and sold your souls.

SIX FEET DOWN THEY WILL BE FOUND
FLESH SEPARATED FROM BONE
ABOVE THEM NOT EVEN A STONE

Isn't it a bit strange, to say the least, it occurred after making a film about a period in which there were no Smths songs, yet?
So either it was before or it was a self imposed regime listening to them but why?
Not for the movie.

Isn't it a bit strange, to say the least, it occurred after making a film about a period in which there were no Smths songs, yet?
So either it was before or it was a self imposed regime listening to them but why?
Not for the movie.

He's stated in a couple of interviews that he poured over the lyrics of the first two albums for clues to this period and just to add visual references etc

I believe there is a time and place for everything in life. Morrissey and music filled a purpose once but then I moved on like I always have. I am not the type that stick to things forever.

Listening to it now would fill no purpose and maybe it would even kill the good and bad memories and change something that once was perfection.

It is like a stored expensive bottle of wine and that cellar door must remain shut. Ageing itself does not kill your spirit but life and other people do. Everyone is waiting for the day they die even if they push that thought away.

Those that admit that seem to live much more fulfilling lives than those that chase fun things in life as if life was some sort of competition. I find it hilarious that most Moz fans are not anywhere near being in touch with the subjects the man is about. He might as well have inherited the fans of The Spice Girls.

Music has no place anymore like it used to do and it really died overnight. Only those that saw the deep meaning of it realise that.

What should they be in touch with? Vegetarianism? Nationalism? Loneliness? Androgyny? Morrissey's not known for having a wide array of interests, or to have much depth when it comes to any subject outside of pop music.

I think most fans who follow Morrissey closely are in touch with the subjects he sings about, to the point of mimicry. But, again, there's not much else in the world of Morrissey to be in touch with. You can only get so far into Morrissey's world before you realize that he's probably sleeping most of the time.

Also, art has always been political, and even more political than it is now. The biggest complaint now is how social commentary has been abandoned by most pop artists, so I don't understand the "everything's political" complaint. It's the exact opposite.

Besides, an artist is expected to be brave, and push the boundaries; not feel cowed because someone on Twitter might think ill of them. Complaining about being labeled controversial, when controversy has always been a large part of being an interesting artist is, well, cowardly.

What I can't make sense of is that you're still visiting a site that is based solely around the career of a music artist, yet you stated that you don't even come here for Morrissey. It seems counter-intuitive; especially if you have sought to "move on" from that part of your life.

I don't think anyone expects you to be pouring over album covers, and liner notes, like you may have done when you were younger. It's not suppossed to be the only world you live in anymore. It's about treating the music like it's a bad memory from time spent in an orphanage. Afterall, by being here, and commenting on these topics, you're still kind of pouring over all of it even now.

See, you do know the truth then but you turn the coat when you talk to pussy like Rifke cause she is a white anti white men woman who will marry a banana eating oompa loompa one day.

Trump won cause of the things I mentioned and we are coming for you all when the war comes and we will not forgive the way you race traitors acted and sold your souls.

I don't get the joke. Fill me in.

And yet there's no Smiths or Morrissey songs in the movie ....

^^^ THIS ^^^
Like I said SuedeMoz:)
Not that I think it would be absolutely necessary, but many other things that have been said, by Andy Gill and Jack Lowden emphasized on their view the movie is about someone in that time period and it could have been about anybody.

That would also be the appeal for a great deal of the audience by imagining, it could be them who would be wellknown, famous and a popstar.

A not uninteresting take for the movie but there and then you have to accept the consequences and it means you have to leave out things that are essential Moz and not somebody else that could, or secretly wanted to be like him in the past.

That is why I consider it to be an omission to leave out any insights from James Maker who was such a close friend and a musician as well and a good writer considering his autobiography. I think he got very close and was very dignified to his friend.

What about the remark Mark Gill listened very intensely to the first two albums to get close to his subject and that is why he supposedly can't listen anymore to them?
Would that be The Smith's and Hatful of Hollow or Meat is Murder?
Why only these two albums then if you think you can get closer?
You could very well argue the other albums after that said as much about Moz. If you think you can get closer in retrospect.

Now I am done with the criticism cause it seems to me a very enjoyable movie and I want to see it and Jack Lowden is a good actor, his Moz voice is amazing.

Last edited:
^^^ THIS ^^^
Not that I think it would be absolutely necessary, but many other things that have been said, by Andy Gill and Jack Lowden emphasized on their view the movie is about someone in that time period and it could have been about anybody.

That would also be the appeal for a great deal of the audience by imagining, it could be them who would be wellknown, famous and a popstar.

A not uninteresting take for the movie but there and then you have to accept the consequences and it means you have to leave out things that are essential Moz and not somebody else that could, or secretly wanted to be like him in the past.

That is why I consider it to be an omission to leave out any insights from James Maker who was such a close friend and a musician as well and a good writer considering his autobiography. I think he got very close and was very dignified to his friend.

What about the remark Andy Gill listened very intensely to the first two albums to get close to his subject and that is why he supposedly can't listen anymore to them?
You could very well argue the other albums after that said as much about Moz. If you think you can get closer in retrospect.

Now I am done with the criticism cause it seems to me a very enjoyable movie and I want to see it and Jack London is a good actor, his Moz voice is amazing.

Andy Gill? :confused:

It is my shit, others feel different. We do live in a time where peoples own experiences are ridiculed and used as a way to hate them. Whenever those haters are subject of that themselves they tend to break down and cry.

I know it is provocative to say that music doesn't matter anymore and that I can't listen to it. But I am older and young people always take it the wrong way and maybe the fact they burst onto the scene late on means they are extra sensitive to other peoples views on it.

I had my time and enjoyed it now you can do the same.
Well I take back the "load of shit" comments but I will remain perplexed as to why you would visit this site at all. If you can't listen to the Smiths I assume you can't listen to Morrissey's solo material which begs the presumptive question "Why are you here?" If you don't want to answer I understand.

That is why I consider it to be an omission to leave out any insights from James Maker who was such a close friend and a musician as well and a good writer considering his autobiography. I think he got very close and was very dignified to his friend

It is a very big omission, I think. Of course you can't mention everyone in a biopic but England Is Mine gives the impression that there were only women around Moz which isn't true. What about this part from Autobiography?

"In affection distress my life briefly matches that of Simon Topping, newly free of school, living with his parents and his sister Joy in Flixton. 'Do you mean your sister is actually called Joy Topping?' I ask. 'Yes,' he laughs. Soon the new motorbike rolls up at Kings Road with regularity, and I wonder what it is that he wants. I open the door and he stands before me holding up a copy of Nico's Chelsea Girl LP. 'Have you heard this?' his Dana Andrews smile at full rev. 'Translated into nine languages,' I say, '...except English...' I trail away, not in the least bit funny. Nonetheless it's Nico's Chelsea Girl that fills our afternoons at Kings Road as rainfall batters the window, a cluttered tea-tray on the floor between us. Simon appears to be the first person who likes me for all the reasons that others usually dislike me. It had been a long hard war. It was enough just to sit there minus the usual nonesense of trying to make myself interesting. Simon takes me to his parents' house in Flixton. I hitch up onto the back of his bike, a fastened position of proximity that throws an entirely new light on seething hurt."

I don't know the truth. It is just a view, an opinion I have that is up for debate. I am not and I don't want to be another prophet claiming to know and tell the truth. I am just some random Moz/Smiths fan like there are many others. There are ones with far more knowledge and insights then me. I am nobody.

Thinking now about prophets not being honoured in their own country and escaping that demotivating environment o_O

Yes, when I talk to Rifke I make shure to wear the right coat cause I know she appreciates a nice coat on a man. :D
She has taste you know, or didn't you notice yet?
But, whatever she wants, it's okay for me.

Again, some racist rambling going on here but nothing new.
You wanna get banned and blame somebody for it.
You are able to ban solo yourself by not posting on this site, if that really is what you want. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
^^^ THIS ^^^

What about the remark Andy Gill listened very intensely to the first two albums to get close to his subject and that is why he supposedly can't listen anymore to them?

Now I am done with the criticism cause it seems to me a very enjoyable movie and I want to see it and Jack London is a good actor, his Moz voice is amazing.

I was really just trying to make a joke - Mark Gill can't listen to The Smiths after directing the movie - but there's no Smiths songs in the movie. :)

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom