Fiona Dodwell: "10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today" (November 3, 2020)

10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today

"It’s hard to believe that the man who carved out his niche as the patron saint of the outcast in the 80's is now in his fourth decade of music-making. There’s a lot of internet mythology and needless controversy surrounding Morrissey, but despite this, few would dare to contend the fact that the British music icon has penned more than his fair share of classics.

Whether it’s the garage rock grittiness of his 2009 release Years of Refusal, or the sweeping strings and classical sounding sobriety of Ringleaders of the Tormentors, Morrissey has nailed it again and again both as a lyricist and a vocalist."

Update:
November 4, 2020 - now linked to by Central and using another 'shopped image by Victor Esparza.
0_b65xz8.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Teachers drags on a bit but I tend to listen to full albums so all of these are very much on my radar.

She should have included more obscure tracks, b-sides etc.
I prefer to play a full album as well, it gives you the feeling of contentment.... especially if it’s our man ..... but if I’m honest I’ve always found about 2-3 songs on a moz album I skip after hearing the album 4-5 times .....
Though 4-5 song are just beltas

These tracks are certainly loved by people like you and I, who have listened carefully to all of his albums. But they are all tracks from albums that are not his biggest commercial successes (with the exception of ROTT) and / or critically acclaimed, therefore she thinks that more casual fans may not have heard them. Which is probably true.
Dude, it's 'people like you and me' not 'you and I'.

Which doggie song would you have included? Isn't the whole album kind of "underrated" given the circumstances? The only song I've seen receive a lot of praise was Once I Saw The River Clean.

Art-hounds
The teachers are afraid of their pupils
Wide to receive
Home is a ?
Something is squeezing my skull.

Perhaps Little man, what now (it is an intriguing song and a bit of an oddity) or I am OK by myself.

The others (World peace, It's over, To me you're a work of art) don't strike me as the strongest ones on their respective album. For me those would have to be Smiler / Staircase, Some say I got devil and Pigsty / Dear God.

Which doggie song would you have included? Isn't the whole album kind of "underrated" given the circumstances? The only song I've seen receive a lot of praise was Once I Saw The River Clean.

Well, I agree that the last album is probably his most underrated from all, given the overall quality of the songs, so it is hard to pick one or two. Once I Saw The River Clean deserves all the praise because it is one of his best in a long long time. I have a soft spot for the closing track (My hurling days are done) and Bobby.

Art-hounds
The teachers are afraid of their pupils
Wide to receive
Home is a ?
Something is squeezing my skull.

Perhaps Little man, what now (it is an intriguing song and a bit of an oddity) or I am OK by myself.

The others (World peace, It's over, To me you're a work of art) don't strike me as the strongest ones on their respective album. For me those would have to be Smiler / Staircase, Some say I got devil and Pigsty / Dear God.
Very much agree, although I'd switch Teachers with Southpaw.

I don't like To Me You Are A Work Of Art.

I don't dislike World Peace, but Smiler or even Istanbul are much more interesting.

It's Over is interesting in terms of vocal performance, but it's far from the strongest song. For me that would be either Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets or Days Of Decision or indeed Some Say I Got Devil.

From I Am Not A Dog On A Chain I probably would have included What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?, simply because it's a lighthearted song with great lyrics and I love the guitar and pedal steel on that one.

I always liked these ten Underdogs....

The Lazy Sunbathers
Good Looking Man About Town
Have a Go Merchant
Spring Heeled Jim
Mute Witness
He Cried
At Last I am Born
Oboe Concerto
Staircase at the University
I Can Have Both

Last edited:
Should have been on world peace as a lead single, and not on the deluxe edition which I have ... my pal asked me on Saturday whilst having a leisurely gallon, if he could borrow world peace as he can’t find it anywhere on the net ....
YouTube

I don't dislike World Peace, but Smiler or even Istanbul are much more interesting.

It's Over is interesting in terms of vocal performance, but it's far from the strongest song. For me that would be either Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets or Days Of Decision or indeed Some Say I Got Devil.

From I Am Not A Dog On A Chain I probably would have included What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?, simply because it's a lighthearted song with great lyrics and I love the guitar and pedal steel on that one.
I could never- ever pick my moz or smiths top 10 - songs ever......
I would not know where to start...
dog and son remain in my car for absolute full volume, along with the world won’t listen..... it’s over is the most powerful vocal on full blast , that I’ve ever heard , goose bumps , along with me thinking I can actually sing ( I can’t) but I go for it .
Little man what now .. going into every day is like Sunday is my fave 2 moz songs mixing into one another.... yes , what kind of people and river , Bobby. Great sing alongs.

I also love all the songs that you mentioned.

Starting and ending Southpaw with 10-minute songs was a bold move which really lifted the album. I quite liked the inclusion of the symphonic sample in Teachers, but I occasionally listen to symphonic music, so for me "teachers" isn't too long. But it is very different from the heavy guitars outtro on Southpaw, which is also quite exciting.

'Art-Hounds' - great song but the studio version is tragically as limp as a wilted lettuce.

Dude, it's 'people like you and me' not 'you and I'.

People like you and me is probably better.

But in the Smiths song "A rush and a push ..." there's this line
"People who are uglier than you and I, they take what they need and leave".
So it can't be entirely wrong?

I also love all the songs that you mentioned.

Starting and ending Southpaw with 10-minute songs was a bold move which really lifted the album. I quite liked the inclusion of the symphonic sample in Teachers, but I occasionally listen to symphonic music, so for me "teachers" isn't too long. But it is very different from the heavy guitars outtro on Southpaw, which is also quite exciting.

Southpaw is one of my favourite songs ever.

A pointless exercise in futility but for the record:

Lost
Boxers
My Life Is An Endless Succession Of People Saying Goodbye.
Good Looking Man About Town
Dear God Please Help Me
Break Up The Family
Jim Jim Falls (although Once I Saw The River Clean is the strongest track)
A Swallow On My Neck
Cover version - Skinstorm

And especially for Dullwell: There Speaks A True Friend

People like you and me is probably better.

But in the Smiths song "A rush and a push ..." there's this line
"People who are uglier than you and I, they take what they need and leave".
So it can't be entirely wrong?
The rule of thumb is, if you can leave out the "you" and the sentence is still correct, you're using the right pronoun.

"People like me."
"Uglier than me."

I don't think Morrissey is a reliable source when it comes to questions of grammar or spelling. ;)

I said ...

People. Are. The. Same. Everywhere. is. a. horrible. song.

(I'm not going to argue with your spreadsheet though.)
I’ve nothing against PATSE. World Peace, on the other hand, is his worst ever song. A true disasterpiece. The Girl From Tel Aviv, as well.

I’ve nothing against PATSE. World Peace, on the other hand, is his worst ever song. A true disasterpiece. The Girl From Tel Aviv, as well.
Oh come on , the girl from .... not his best but not his worst either.....

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom