Fiona Dodwell: "How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)" (February 18, 2021)

1_rVMgi2j7_fn70rcypLXkLg.jpeg

How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)

Excerpt:

"There’s an emergence of voices rising from the rotting grave of political correctness lately, in a feeble attempt to somehow make Morrissey’s art into nothing more than a shadow of The Smiths. In reality though, to many, he was the beating heart of the much-loved 80s quartet and unlike his bandmates, he became so much more.
There are many voices online using the tired old trope, “I won’t listen to Morrissey because I don’t agree with his views, but I’ll always have The Smiths.” If this sentiment were limited only to the dull echo chambers of anonymous social media users, it might not be so bad. Yet it does not stop there."

Regards,
FWD.

Now linked to by Central:

Not that anyone cares, but I've been following the debate between @Ketamine Sun, @Amy and @Surface. Very interesting stuff, albeit not overly civil, shall we say.

Even though I prefer a balanced outlook and am no stranger to criticising my favorite artists when they make music I don't like or behave like idiots, I think Ketamine has a strong point. Personally, and I've said this before, I could never muster the energy to come to a fan forum on a (give or take) daily basis just to post negative criticism about its subject. That would suck the life right out of me. I think Surface is a bright guy, and a very nice fella at that, but he seems, in my humble opinion, way too immersed in the negative side of things. I would love it if he was to engage in, for example, the A-Z threads, and talk about all the songs he love.

Surely the negativity must take more out of you than what you get in return? Does it not fill you with "bad energies"?

Now, mind you, I'm not refusing anyone to post whatever they feel like. You do you, as they say. These are just my two cents.

Last edited:
Yeah, it must have been someone else who said all those things in support of extreme right-wing organisations and people and singled out a brown mayor for criticism
I'm not trying to defend or explain Morrissey's comments about Mayor Khan but you haven't you "singled out" the man for being "brown" and isn't that a racist viewpoint?
You made some comment about "these people that can't defend themselves" and while it's noble to want to help the helpless it's also kind of delusional to think that you have some special ability to help "brown" people. What gives you this ability?

Further, while Morrissey has supported right-wing organizations I think that "extreme right wing" is something else, and he's said enough contradictory things that trying to pin him down as "right wing" doesn't make sense. I see him more as an intellectually lazy person in love with getting a reaction. When his nephew mentioned other parties who also support animal rights Morrissey openly admitted not being aware of them or their platforms. It's not as if he carefully studies the political scene and the options available before weighing in. He or his nephew or whoever is responsible for the political content posted on his website are getting their opinions from a bunch of lowbrow youtube videos and the only reason it matters is because he has the ability to bring attention to these people though his influence has declined drastically over the past decade or so.

Yes. #TheNephew came on the scene with his idiotic photoshops and Julia's site disappeared. She was made an #unperson after decades of loyal service so that the new site could become the official voice.
Oh wait, it's not really the official voice whenever it posts anything political or some youtube conspiracy video. When that happens it's all blamed on #TheNephew
As far as I know Morrissey hasn't made a statement as to what happened to Julia Riley or her website True To You.net. None of us really know what happened it is just speculation.

Julia Riley was a very dedicated and a very loyal fan that is for sure.

I thought that it was Morrissey's former record company who started the Morrissey Central website? Morrissey obviously loves his nephew Sam and he trusts him plus he is a young person who understands modern technology and how social media works. It makes sense to have Sam on board.

I really don't believe that Morrissey is a racist or xenophobic or is right-wing or alt right. Unless I have real evidence of this it is just speculation. Morrissey's friends who know him personally have always said that he doesn't have a racist or prejudice bone in his body and he is definitely not a fascist he supports LGBTQ+ rights for one thing.

As far as I know Morrissey hasn't made a statement as to what happened to Julia Riley or her website True To You.net. None of us really know what happened it is just speculation.

I thought that it was Morrissey's former record company who started the Morrissey Central website? Morrissey obviously loves his nephew Sam and he trusts him plus he is a young person who understands modern technology and how social media works. It makes sense to have Sam on board.

I really don't believe that Morrissey is a racist or xenophobic or is right-wing or alt right. Unless I have real evidence of this it is just speculation. Morrissey's friends who know him personally have always said that he doesn't have a racist or prejudice bone in his body and he is definitely not a fascist he supports LGBTQ+ rights for one thing.
Sam added 'Central' to his existing photography site.
Regards,
FWD.

All the threads about "what happened to Julia?" ended up revealing that nobody here really knows what happened between Morrissey and Julia.

The obvious fact is that they distanced from each other and it's obvious that they both agreed about not talking about what happened (or maybe they didn't even need to explicitly say "let's not talk about it", but such thing became, at least, an implicit rule in their new non-relationship).

Other than that, I admire Morrissey and I actually despise Fiona.

There isn't any difference between Fiona and the infamous Guardian.

The Guardian says "Morrissey is nazi, that's horrible"
Fiona says "Morrissey is nazi, that's courageous".

In the long run, Morrissey isn't nazi and both the Guardian and Fiona are using Morrissey for opposite and yet complementary political agendas... But the two of them are [unsert a word that your grandma would not dare to pronounce here]. That's it.

I don't mean to be tasteless or offensive but I honestly thought this Julia person had died 2 or 3 years ago. Didn't Morrissey make mention of it at one of his concerts?

In the long run, Morrissey isn't nazi and both the Guardian and Fiona are using Morrissey for opposite and yet complementary political agendas... But the two of them are [unsert a word that your grandma would not dare to pronounce here]. That's it.

Yeah right Fiona and Guardian are bad but only Melvis is clean. Only Melvis has never done a bad thing or said anything bad ... pathetic!

Morrissey obviously loves his nephew Sam and he trusts him plus he is a young person who understands modern technology and how social media works. It makes sense to have Sam on board.

I'd say that's a bit of a stretch.

Streaming.jpg

The only thing I'd query is Sam understanding tech or how social media works.

Not to be mean - but just because it's not working in terms of stabilising (or God forbid, improving) Morrissey's reputation, or selling his music.

Although they might like the familial chaos.

I don't mean to be tasteless or offensive but I honestly thought this Julia person had died 2 or 3 years ago. Didn't Morrissey make mention of it at one of his concerts?
Really? Do you have a source?

Yeah right Fiona and Guardian are bad but only Melvis is clean. Only Melvis has never done a bad thing or said anything bad ... pathetic!

Morrissey is the only one chatting away without thinking of metrics or his position in a culture war.

So, even when he's wrong, at least he's trying to get to some kind of truth, or express how he really feels - rather than knowingly pushing a line because that gets the clicks.

The only thing I'd query is Sam understanding tech or how social media works.

Not to be mean - but just because it's not working in terms of stabilising (or God forbid, improving) Morrissey's reputation, or selling his music.

Although they might like the familial chaos.
Do you like the Morrissey Central website? I personally like the site it is a way for Morrissey and others connected to him like his nephew Sam to express themselves. I believe that is was set up by Morrissey's former record company?

The True To You.net website was amazing! I miss those days when Julia Riley was around. I never met Julia and I don't know her on a personal level.

Sam is a photographer and he understands modern technical stuff. I think he understands social media and how it works.

In LA they have a Morrissey Day once a year. This shows how much more Morrissey is respected in the USA than he is in his home country the UK. I love America and the American way of life and their positivity. I believe that Julia Riley is American. I wonder if Julia was there when Morrissey Day in LA was formally declared and there was a ceremony for it and Morrissey was there.

Morrissey gives me hope in a world which can feel so dark and lonely. Morrissey sings about rejection and being different. Morrissey was talking about depression and mental health long before it was fashionable to do so and folks like Robbie Williams got on board. Morrissey is definitely not a fascist. He supports LGBTQ+ rights for one thing and he supports Israel and Jewish people. I find it interesting that Morrissey doesn't like Donald Trump.

Do you like the Morrissey Central website? I personally like the site it is a way for Morrissey and others connected to him like his nephew Sam to express themselves. I believe that is was set up by Morrissey's former record company?

The True To You.net website was amazing! I miss those days when Julia Riley was around. I never met Julia and I don't know her on a personal level.

Sam is a photographer and he understands modern technical stuff. I think he understands social media and how it works.

In LA they have a Morrissey Day once a year. This shows how much more Morrissey is respected in the USA than he is in his home country the UK. I love America and the American way of life and their positivity. I believe that Julia Riley is American. I wonder if Julia was there when Morrissey Day in LA was formally declared and there was a ceremony for it and Morrissey was there.

Morrissey gives me hope in a world which can feel so dark and lonely. Morrissey sings about rejection and being different. Morrissey was talking about depression and mental health long before it was fashionable to do so and folks like Robbie Williams got on board. Morrissey is definitely not a fascist. He supports LGBTQ+ rights for one thing and he supports Israel and Jewish people. I find it interesting that Morrissey doesn't like Donald Trump.

I love the way you string random thoughts together.

No, I don't like Central. It's messy. He'd be better off with a conventional blog. And his social media can RT or post links, pictures & short statements.

Really? Do you have a source?

It would have been reported on this website. I guess I must be confusing Julia with a different 'superfan' - I'm sure Morrissey paid his respects from the stage not so long ago to a female fan who had passed away, and who had been a regular front row attendee at this concerts.

I'm not trying to defend or explain Morrissey's comments about Mayor Khan but you haven't you "singled out" the man for being "brown" and isn't that a racist viewpoint?
You made some comment about "these people that can't defend themselves" and while it's noble to want to help the helpless it's also kind of delusional to think that you have some special ability to help "brown" people. What gives you this ability?

Further, while Morrissey has supported right-wing organizations I think that "extreme right wing" is something else, and he's said enough contradictory things that trying to pin him down as "right wing" doesn't make sense. I see him more as an intellectually lazy person in love with getting a reaction. When his nephew mentioned other parties who also support animal rights Morrissey openly admitted not being aware of them or their platforms. It's not as if he carefully studies the political scene and the options available before weighing in. He or his nephew or whoever is responsible for the political content posted on his website are getting their opinions from a bunch of lowbrow youtube videos and the only reason it matters is because he has the ability to bring attention to these people though his influence has declined drastically over the past decade or so.

:rolleyes:

Moz is intellectually lazy while you and skinny lift heavy weight with the top of your craniums.:lbf:

Unreal, FC gets his content from sophisticated high low brow youtube videos.:crazy:
and then this bizarre troll 'salmon' calling 'surface' a 'nice chap', moz troll insanity knows no bounds:lbf:

It would have been reported on this website. I guess I must be confusing Julia with a different 'superfan' - I'm sure Morrissey paid his respects from the stage not so long ago to a female fan who had passed away, and who had been a regular front row attendee at this concerts.
There have been a few “super fans” that have passed away. Margaret Dale, that guy Curtis(?), another woman whose name I can’t remember. I’m quite sure Julia is alive and well.

Are you kidding us? Besides being the springboard for Morrissey's communication, the website actually sucked donkey balls. (Ask any licensed veterinarian.)

It was never updated, zero maintenance, links led to nowhere. Besides some early adaptation from her print 'zine, it lacked any aesthetic, much less value to the fan collective.

This site you are reading is the gold-standard - whatever opinions you may have. It deserves credit for keeping Morrissey's career afloat during those wilderness years.

Last edited:
I love the way you string random thoughts together.

No, I don't like Central. It's messy. He'd be better off with a conventional blog. And his social media can RT or post links, pictures & short statements.
What does RT mean? Do you know if Morrissey Central was started by Morrissey's former record company?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about Morrissey Central. I like the website. It is different to a Blog or a regular website or being on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. It is different to what other artists or celebrities do. Morrissey often talks about famous people who have died who inspire him. I have learnt a lot about 1960s culture a time before I was born.

Im sure :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is trying to find the way to burrow his twatty self into Moz website like he did here. He has no forum and but a poorly redacted bot site:thumbsdown:

What does RT mean? Do you know if Morrissey Central was started by Morrissey's former record company?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about Morrissey Central. I like the website. It is different to a Blog or a regular website or being on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. It is different to what other artists or celebrities do. Morrissey often talks about famous people who have died who inspire him. I have learnt a lot about 1960s culture a time before I was born.

RT means re-tweet - so tweeting someone else's tweet.

Im sure :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is trying to find the way to burrow his twatty self into Moz website like he did here. He has no forum and but a poorly redacted bot site:thumbsdown:
Do you have a link to the Johnny Marr bot site?

I don't think Morrissey is friends with Johnny Marr anymore. I don't know when they last had any contact with each other maybe in 2008.

Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom