Fiona Dodwell interview - Felten Ink (Jan. 30, 2020)

On Mozza: "He is an absolutely outstanding artist, entirely in a league of his own"

I saw interview on Fiona dodwell about her writing and they ended asking some questions about why she likes Mozza and why she would still support him, and I think it hits the nail on the head for a lot of fans who still stand by Morrissey, so thought worth sharing

Link to the full thing is here

FIONA DODWELL: “INEXPLICABLE EVENTS HAVE PROBABLY PLANTED LITTLE SEEDS OF INSPIRATION.” - Felten Ink

I have to ask you about Morrissey, after all, you drew my attention with your interviews and I’ve been following you on social media ever since. What do you think that’s so divisive about him among people?

I think Morrissey is seen by some as a “divisive” figure because there simply is no one else out there like him, being so truthful, so open, so willing to discuss things that others won’t. He doesn’t pander to the press, he doesn’t bind himself to the apparent “boundaries” that other artists apply themselves to (out of fear of being controversial or opinionated). He is a rarity, a non-conformist, and because of that, people are sometimes shocked. Wow – a singer with an opinion? Aren’t they just supposed to stand there and inoffensively nod along? No, Morrissey has never been like that and it’s one of the reasons I admire him. There are few like him out there, we should treasure the braver souls amongst us.

What was the initial attraction for you?

First and foremost it’s about the music. That’s the main thing. He is an absolutely outstanding artist, entirely in a league of his own. I know I have spent many years with his music as the “backdrop” to my daily life and so his lyrics, his albums, are very special to me. Then, as we discussed above, there is his confidence and willingness to be bold and strong in the face of some really bad treatment from the mainstream media. That’s something I admire, more than I can express. I get bored of people who try to blend in, or who baulk at the idea of standing-out. It excites me when I see somebody who is willing to go against the grain, and let’s face it, Morrissey does this often. Alongside all of this, I’ve always admired his stance on animal rights.

Why do you think certain elements of the press now take such an unfavourable stance towards him?

I think it’s a combination of lazy journalism, lazy thinking and the hunger to be seen as “politically correct” in a climate where being offended is the fashion. Rarely does the mainstream press actually stop and examine why Morrissey says what he says, they just seem to take a line or two and then run away with their own story.

I find myself agreeing with him more than anything else, but I’d be appalled to be labelled ‘far right’…

It’s the names and labels that do the most damage. If you call somebody “far right” or “racist” then you have blocked the debate at hand, and stopped people examining the specific issues that are being discussed. Plenty of times, Morrissey has made valid points or issues that are relevant, yet what he says isn’t dissected, it’s people’s opinions about what he says that are instead dissected. Why are the mainstream so afraid of actually discussing what he says with level-headedness? Why does everything have to come down to name-calling, immature headlines and mud-slinging? Nobody needs to agree with what another says to at least respectfully hear them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, so it's pretty obvious who won that argument then.
tenor.gif

If you mean Chameleon - I provided the additional information. But, they think I'm lying, so what's the point in replying to them any more? I'd be wasting their time.
No, you actually did provide further info and I should have acknowledged that. We're not going to agree on this issue but I don't just look for a way to attack you.
See, Stephen Hoffman thought he saw me disagreeing with you and felt I was on his side. Pippistrella thinks I'm on "the opposite side" to her. That's because they're both afflicted with the idea that every issue has two sides.
Now, in fact I'd be more likely to share the views that you claim to. But I've had too many friends who have been victimized as children and young teens and I've met my share of creeps as well growing up. That's why I'm vehemently against this Tatchell character and why I nearly went off Morrissey for good over his stupid "where were the parents?" line.
Anyone who excuses in any way the sexual exploitation of children and young people is not just stating an opinion but they are making it harder for people to speak up about their experiences. Then when people don't speak about their experiences for years or even decades they are questioned about why they waited so long.
Now, on a slightly different subject, people like Stephen Hoffman insist that gay men want to exploit children. That's his own ignorance but because this is one of the points that is used to try to prevent equal rights and, as Pippistrella puts it, to turn back the clock, this makes someone like Tatchell even more problematic and less acceptable as a spokesman for gay rights, even if he "now thinks he was wrong."
I am not asking you to throw him under the bus. I'm saying that he is an unfortunate choice for you to champion, and that even though I am "on your side" as opposed to the side of Pippistrella and Stephen Hoffman, I can't truly be on your side if Tatchell is also on your side.
I know that won't break your heart of anything. The point is it does matter that he wrote what he wrote, whether he believes it now or not.
It's not homophobic to have an issue with what he's saying.
Pipistrella claims that anytime someone is ignorant, racist or homophobic I accuse them of being ignorant, racist or homophobic, and she may have a point.
But I think you're actually doing that when you declare homophobia as the reason someone would hold Tatchell in contempt. I'm not homophobic. But when men are talking about how all of these unnamed people claim to have had sex with adults as children and find it to have been a beautiful experience :barf: I see that as a danger to children and to adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
I know it was "a debate that was happening at the time" but if he knows what he claims to have known then I don't see how it could have changed. It's all too convenient. And I'm not saying he is a pedo. But he does come with baggage that can't be discarded by calling someone a homophobe, even if they happen to be a homophobe.

Dodwell writes on Twitter, that "things seem to be going so wrong lately and that she "had so much bad luck". She does not feel comfortable at home when unexpected call/email/knock at her door happens" and it leaves her thinking "Oh God, what next..."

Dont know if that has got something to do with her sharing Morrissey's late opinions and defending him in interviews.
If that were the case, I wouldn't approve of a threat from Morrissey Haters. I don't agree with her at all myself, but I'm far from threatening people over this. That's not right. But it also shows once again, that the Morrissey issue is very sensitive and that the change in the perception of a public figure (certainly not only through the media coverage that Dodwell criticises) from an English Hero to the king of a few has taken on dramatic proportions

Dodwell writes on Twitter, that "things seem to be going so wrong lately and that she "had so much bad luck". She does not feel comfortable at home when unexpected call/email/knock at her door happens" and it leaves her thinking "Oh God, what next..."

Dont know if that has got something to do with her sharing Morrissey's late opinions and defending him in interviews.
If that were the case, I wouldn't approve of a threat from Morrissey Haters. I don't agree with her at all myself, but I'm far from threatening people over this. That's not right. But it also shows once again, that the Morrissey issue is very sensitive and that the change in the perception of a public figure (certainly not only through the media coverage that Dodwell criticises) from an English Hero to the king of a few has taken on dramatic proportions

Anyone who threatens anyone for whatever reason is an absolute shit. It's one thing calling out her unflinching support for a bigot, it's quite another to go the extra mile.

What evidence is there someone has done that? Because I'm reading the above - and it could be debts, a credit card bill, overdue mortgage - could be anything. I mean - I've seen this before, when people put something out there, a view goes unchallenged, and becomes the prevalent view. Facts matter.

Anyone who threatens anyone for whatever reason is an absolute shit. It's one thing calling out her unflinching support for a bigot, it's quite another to go the extra mile.

What evidence is there someone has done that? Because I'm reading the above - and it could be debts, a credit card bill, overdue mortgage - could be anything. I mean - I've seen this before, when people put something out there, a view goes unchallenged, and becomes the prevalent view. Facts matter.

:lbf:

skinny you ve outdone yourself here:lbf:
you regularly wipe your rear with on and all facts.:lbf:

There is no evidence. It's speculation. Supporting tweets come exclusively from the still remaining Morrissey fans, so it might got something to do with it.

Really...those facts that you so often choose to ignore, & then you simply go off & manufacture your own distorted versions, which are clearly not facts, but are simply out of context press floor clippings, or simply your opinions, & are those which you prefer to use in your arguments with yourself?

You struggle continually to understand the English language, spouting off bigot, fascist & the rest of the shite which spews out of your head & keyboard, so before you start to talk about 'Facts'...go study English, then work your way up to the level where you're able to distinguish fact from fiction, together with the accurate meaning of your favourite few words.

I'm sure someone can operate google for you to point you to the various definitions.

If she feels threatened she should report to police especially if she has children. We don't know anything about her life or circumstances so may be presumptious to assume it's some way related to her posts about Moz.

If people are jumping to conclusions, it’s only because so many on here appear contorted with jealousy, resentment and hatred when it comes to Morrissey.

Having said that, the fan base has always had a streak of nastiness in it. And a similar climate of wider pious media fuelled hate existed in 1992 after Morrissey refused to be brought to heel by the NME (marshalled by Talk Sport’s own Danny Kelly).

The media supported backlash didn’t seem to dissipate until 2002 when the press began warming to him again.

As a patriot with a critical contempt for the current UK government, Morrissey is on the verge of a fresh relevance. In fact, the imminent music related events might well prove to be the beginning of his biggest moment. No wonder people are getting heated again.

Skinny what are you talking about. You manufacture facts on a regular basis. You insanity is reaching critical levels, Skinny.

The thing about arrogance is that the afflicted are often blind to it.

Nerak has made some interesting comments particularly those in support of LGBT issues but even with the best of intentions some of her arguments were unclear and therefore flawed. No-one is perfect.

Unfortunately, Nerak chose to see criticisms of her comments as attacks rather than provide the clarity requested.

In an environment were people like the vocal and self-confessed homophobe Hofmann lurks I believe it important to that those who support LGBT rights use robust, clear and factual argument.

Nerak chose to block someone because they asked for additional information about one of her posts. Information she was unwilling or unable to provide. It was her decision and one I thought childish.

It's little wonder that the Hofmanns of this world can spread such hatred with such ease when LGBT supporters are distracted by ego.

Jesus Skinny try to make it brief when pontificating about one of your sock Ids.

If people are jumping to conclusions, it’s only because so many on here appear contorted with jealousy, resentment and hatred when it comes to Morrissey.

Having said that, the fan base has always had a streak of nastiness in it. And a similar climate of wider pious media fuelled hate existed in 1992 after Morrissey refused to be brought to heel by the NME (marshalled by Talk Sport’s own Danny Kelly).

The media supported backlash didn’t seem to dissipate until 2002 when the press began warming to him again.

As a patriot with a critical contempt for the current UK government, Morrissey is on the verge of a fresh relevance. In fact, the imminent music related events might well prove to be the beginning of his biggest moment. No wonder people are getting heated again.

Eh? Patriot of where exactly? Switzerland or USA or Ireland or UK. He moaned about UK back in the day and continuous to this day.

Last edited:
Morrissey is not a bigot or a racist, he's just wandered onto the battlefield of identity politics with the wrong weapons & no plan & without knowing that's the battle.

The only thing he's entirely wrong about is For Britain. If he's got any sense he will make it clear that he's not a member, has not voted for them & no longer supports them.

And though he hates labels, he really should remind the media that he's from a marginal, oppressed, immigrant, working-class, community & he's not in the gender or sexual or mental health mainstream.

Because I was listening to some god awful middle-class white male Public School, married with kids, C of E, Oxford grad 'left-winger' slag him off & it annoyed the hell out of me.

Eh? Patriot of where exactly? Switzerland or USA or Ireland or UK. He moaned about UK back in the day and continuous to this day.

WTF? Moz got Brexit done, the UK should thank him profusely.:clap:

WELL DONE MOZ!!!!!:clap::clap:

THANX FOR BREXIT FREEDOM AND GETTING
RID OF THE ISLAM CUCKS:bow:

AND FOR PUTTING THAT MISER CORBYN OUT OF IS MISERY!!
WELL DONE!!!:bow:

I'm white, male, racist, fascist, skinnyist, bigotist, veganist, rightist, wingist, and any other ist you want, including marmitist, & also bennyist & surfacist, so please send me all your hate, instead of at Moz.
He's not deserving of any of it...in fact, I'd go as far to say, he's totally undeservingist.

Leave him alone, he's only singing.

He was moaning because the nation he LOVED was being dismantled. Didn’t you notice?

“English heart”, for Christ’s sake.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom