Fiona Dodwell interview - Felten Ink (Jan. 30, 2020)

On Mozza: "He is an absolutely outstanding artist, entirely in a league of his own"

I saw interview on Fiona dodwell about her writing and they ended asking some questions about why she likes Mozza and why she would still support him, and I think it hits the nail on the head for a lot of fans who still stand by Morrissey, so thought worth sharing

Link to the full thing is here

FIONA DODWELL: “INEXPLICABLE EVENTS HAVE PROBABLY PLANTED LITTLE SEEDS OF INSPIRATION.” - Felten Ink

I have to ask you about Morrissey, after all, you drew my attention with your interviews and I’ve been following you on social media ever since. What do you think that’s so divisive about him among people?

I think Morrissey is seen by some as a “divisive” figure because there simply is no one else out there like him, being so truthful, so open, so willing to discuss things that others won’t. He doesn’t pander to the press, he doesn’t bind himself to the apparent “boundaries” that other artists apply themselves to (out of fear of being controversial or opinionated). He is a rarity, a non-conformist, and because of that, people are sometimes shocked. Wow – a singer with an opinion? Aren’t they just supposed to stand there and inoffensively nod along? No, Morrissey has never been like that and it’s one of the reasons I admire him. There are few like him out there, we should treasure the braver souls amongst us.

What was the initial attraction for you?

First and foremost it’s about the music. That’s the main thing. He is an absolutely outstanding artist, entirely in a league of his own. I know I have spent many years with his music as the “backdrop” to my daily life and so his lyrics, his albums, are very special to me. Then, as we discussed above, there is his confidence and willingness to be bold and strong in the face of some really bad treatment from the mainstream media. That’s something I admire, more than I can express. I get bored of people who try to blend in, or who baulk at the idea of standing-out. It excites me when I see somebody who is willing to go against the grain, and let’s face it, Morrissey does this often. Alongside all of this, I’ve always admired his stance on animal rights.

Why do you think certain elements of the press now take such an unfavourable stance towards him?

I think it’s a combination of lazy journalism, lazy thinking and the hunger to be seen as “politically correct” in a climate where being offended is the fashion. Rarely does the mainstream press actually stop and examine why Morrissey says what he says, they just seem to take a line or two and then run away with their own story.

I find myself agreeing with him more than anything else, but I’d be appalled to be labelled ‘far right’…

It’s the names and labels that do the most damage. If you call somebody “far right” or “racist” then you have blocked the debate at hand, and stopped people examining the specific issues that are being discussed. Plenty of times, Morrissey has made valid points or issues that are relevant, yet what he says isn’t dissected, it’s people’s opinions about what he says that are instead dissected. Why are the mainstream so afraid of actually discussing what he says with level-headedness? Why does everything have to come down to name-calling, immature headlines and mud-slinging? Nobody needs to agree with what another says to at least respectfully hear them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ignore someone if it's not possible to have a proper conversation with them. And I've never said anything mean about anyone unless they've been attacking me in post after post.

Is there an emoticon for Pants on Fire.:barf:

And who is she? Why should anyone listen to what she says? What past and authority does she have?

What "past" or "authority" does any writer have? Writers are just people with opinions

People who write just write stuff, some readers will like it and some won't. There's no magic spell to make certain articles worthy to exist, Skinny. If dodwel wants to write pro Mozza shit, let her. If someone wants to write stuff hating on him, that's ok too. Big f***ing deal.

The above is a bare faced lie worthy of Trump. Have you no shame? Are you so easily provoked?

It's not remotely a lie. I have never said anything mean to anyone who wasn't personally attacking me in post after post.

On and on and on she goes making false claims. If she's the saint she depicts why have so many posters called her out!?

I expect she agrees with Cummings and his ban of lobby journalists. I think the credo is if you don't agree with me I'll ban you. How incredibly democratic.

I think in some strange 3rd dimension Dodders, Thewlis and Nerak have Moz tied up in their basement feeding him chips.

I think in some strange 3rd dimension Dodders, Thewlis and Nerak have Moz tied up in their basement feeding him chips.

If anyone is going to tie Moz up in a basement it'll be UncleSkinny.

Or "little" Benny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the Morrissey of 1983 like the Morrissey of today. I think not.
Surely the more vital question (if one needs to be asked) relates to how the Morrissey of today would feel about the Morrissey of 1983. Such a question would relate to a human having a life. And that is what makes people interesting, and real.

The thing about arrogance is that the afflicted are often blind to it.

Nerak has made some interesting comments particularly those in support of LGBT issues but even with the best of intentions some of her arguments were unclear and therefore flawed. No-one is perfect.

Unfortunately, Nerak chose to see criticisms of her comments as attacks rather than provide the clarity requested.

In an environment were people like the vocal and self-confessed homophobe Hofmann lurks I believe it important to that those who support LGBT rights use robust, clear and factual argument.

Nerak chose to block someone because they asked for additional information about one of her posts. Information she was unwilling or unable to provide. It was her decision and one I thought childish.

It's little wonder that the Hofmanns of this world can spread such hatred with such ease when LGBT supporters are distracted by ego.

It's not a lie.

Even your post is nastier than I've ever been to anyone.

Explain then why you recently called someone sexist? They asked you to explain why you did that. You hit 'ignore'.

Nerak has made some interesting comments particularly those in support of LGBT issues but even with the best of intentions some of her arguments were unclear and therefore flawed. No-one is perfect.

Unfortunately, Nerak chose to see criticisms of her comments as attacks rather than provide the clarity requested.

In an environment were people like the vocal and self-confessed homophobe Hofmann lurks I believe it important to that those who support LGBT rights use robust, clear and factual argument.

Nerak chose to block someone because they asked for additional information about one of her posts. Information she was unwilling or unable to provide. It was her decision and one I thought childish.

It's little wonder that the Hofmanns of this world can spread such hatred with such ease when LGBT supporters are distracted by ego.
Skinny, your flawless post to yourself is unbecoming of you.
Remember to choose your brownies and to choose your points carefully.
They are not synonymous with one another.

Explain then why you recently called someone sexist? They asked you to explain why you did that. You hit 'ignore'.

The 'someone' is anonymous so I can't 'hit ignore' - I gave up with them because it was pointless. I also told them why I think they're sexist & they disputed my reasoning - which is fine, they think they're not sexist, I think they are.

If you mean Chameleon - I provided the additional information. But, they think I'm lying, so what's the point in replying to them any more? I'd be wasting their time.

The 'someone' is anonymous so I can't 'hit ignore' - I gave up with them because it was pointless. I also told them why I think they're sexist & they disputed my reasoning - which is fine, they think they're not sexist, I think they are.

I've read this thread. You did not provide any reasoning for your sexist comment. None. You thinking someone is sexist is not reasoning.

The 'withdrawal method' recommended by the Catholic Church has always been the most common form of contraception.
Too bad it didn't work for your parents though.
You insistence on "in the past things were done this way so this makes these ways the best" is pretty dimwitted. Women were also discouraged from making their opinions known. Please leave the posting to your husband or father from now on.

Too bad it didn't work for your parents though.
You insistence on "in the past things were done this way so this makes these ways the best" is pretty dimwitted. Women were also discouraged from making their opinions known. Please leave the posting to your husband or father from now on.
Ha, so it's pretty obvious who won that argument then.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom