first of the gang is now a decade old -reflect

bedlam breakout

there realy isnt going to be any new songs that are very good are there? record deal or no record deal, its the end now if truth be told, sad but true, thanks for great years morrissey- but its over now.

Where are you getting "a decade" from, seeing as how it was released in 2004, debuted live in 2002, and probably written well before that...none of which equals ten years when subtracted from 2013.

Trouble with math? Reading calendars? Do tell.

As far as Moz songs go, I find 'first of the gang' to be a little overrated and that was before hearing it countless times at gigs

Where are you getting "a decade" from, seeing as how it was released in 2004, debuted live in 2002, and probably written well before that...none of which equals ten years when subtracted from 2013.

Trouble with math? Reading calendars? Do tell.

Trouble with pedantry? Do te... . No, actually, please don't.

(Ps. It's "maths".)

I may be in a minority here, but I actually really liked that song.

I think of his post 2004 material it is quite possibly my favorite along with "Life is a Pigsty."

That's just my opinion.

I may be in a minority here, but I actually really liked that song.

I think of his post 2004 material it is quite possibly my favorite along with "Life is a Pigsty."

That's just my opinion.

On a similar note, I seem to be one of the only people that considers himself a Morrissey fan, yet hates YATQ (it's very literally the only Morrissey album I can't say anything good about).
I also seem to be the only person that hates YATQ and likes ROTT... and some of ROTT's most hated songs, for that matter.

It gets awful lonely.

'Art-hounds' sounds like it could be a phenomenal album track. But in terms of a catchy potential hit single which will catapult Moz back into the public eye - well....if 'People Are the Same Everywhere' is the best he has to showcase from the new album then Moz is in real trouble.

On a similar note, I seem to be one of the only people that considers himself a Morrissey fan, yet hates YATQ (it's very literally the only Morrissey album I can't say anything good about).
I also seem to be the only person that hates YATQ and likes ROTT... and some of ROTT's most hated songs, for that matter.

It gets awful lonely.

No, I am with you. As a fan, I have never fully recovered from the gut-wrenching disappointment I felt when I heard the tatty production values of YATQ. From there, I liked portions of RotT and I tolerate portions of YoR. Not trending in the right direction.

I loved First of the Gang as first played live. Though the vocal coda on the recorded version was magnificently grandiose, the OTT synths effectively ruined the concise little guitar hook Alain would add to the end of it.

No, I am with you. As a fan, I have never fully recovered from the gut-wrenching disappointment I felt when I heard the tatty production values of YATQ. From there, I liked portions of RotT and I tolerate portions of YoR. Not trending in the right direction.

I loved First of the Gang as first played live. Though the vocal coda on the recorded version was magnificently grandiose, the OTT synths effectively ruined the concise little guitar hook Alain would add to the end of it.

What is it that bothers you most about Quarry? Is it the fake strings?

It gets awful lonely.
yeah, I really don't get any of that :o but nice to see you posting dude :D

What is it that bothers you most about Quarry? Is it the fake strings?

They are icky, I grant you, but it's the overall production sheen, like a layer of saccharine coating. Many tracks seem to lack balance - drums up too high, guitars down too low or vice versa. The little "bloops" and "bleeps" and various swooshy/swishy noises leave me numb - though the submarine on I'm Not Sorry was money in the bank.

There was a general lack of balance on RotT, too - too much Jesse guitar, not enough Alain/Boz - but some songs (e.g., Dear God) sound precisely gorgeous. Visconti found a super bass sound, which was fitting as Gaz played his ass off, most under appreciated aspect of that album.

Though I quite like You are the Quarry, but I dream of a "naked" version, as they did for Let it Be.

For instance, I prefer by far the 2002 version of First of the Gang to Die, same for Irish Blood, English Heart.

I think the production on ROTT is great, but the songs after Pigsty are pretty lame.

Though I quite like You are the Quarry, but I dream of a "naked" version, as they did for Let it Be.

For instance, I prefer by far the 2002 version of First of the Gang to Die, same for Irish Blood, English Heart.

I think the production on ROTT is great, but the songs after Pigsty are pretty lame.

I like the production on You are the Quarry and on Years of Refusal - I think the latter is a great album and very under rated yet I could never get on with Ringleader of the Tormentors which is probably my least favourite Morrissey album. I like most of ROTT's songs but just not together in one go as it all feels a bit samey where as I think Quarry is quite eclectic. Quarry has probably dated less well out of all his albums though.

Back
Top Bottom