From Buddy Holly to present, list your top 25 bands with 10 bonus picks (if you must), so 35 maximum

Re: From Buddy Holly to present, list your top 25 bands with 10 bonus picks (if you must), so 35 max

The Beach Boys
Blur
Camera Obscura
The Charlatans
The Clash
The Cure
Echo and the Bunnymen
Elbow
Gene
Interpol
James
Joy Division
Kula Shaker
Morrissey
The National
New Order
The Psychedelic Furs
Ride
The Smiths
Suede
The Stone Roses
Sugar
Teenage Fanclub
The Verve
The Wedding Present

Sorta like I said to Chickpea re: Beatles/John Lennon....Sugar but no Husker Du??? :)

Re: From Buddy Holly to present, list your top 25 bands with 10 bonus picks (if you must), so 35 max

I love Husker Du; especially the Zen Arcade to Candy Apple Grey period; but Sugar takes me to another stratosphere..
Sorta like I said to Chickpea re: Beatles/John Lennon....Sugar but no Husker Du??? :)

My top 25 music artists

1) Depeche Mode
2) Morrissey / The Smiths (I always combine them so I can squeeze what I want in my top 5)
3) The Cure
4) Erasure
5) Pet Shop Boys
New Order
Hunz
Mind.In.A.Box
Frank Black / The Pixies
Cause & Effect
Electronic
A-ha
Tears For Fears
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
Dinosaur Jr.
U2 (Pre-Achtung Baby)
Sade
Sunfall Festival
Vangelis
Jean Michel Jarre
Oystein Sevag
Andreas Vollenweider
Pat Metheny

-----

Most of those are mainstream, although Sunfall Festival was a short lived local band, highlighted by an incredible female singer and a talented guitar player. Cause & Effect was a little-known American 90's Depeche Mode-esque band who's lead singer died tragically while on tour for their first album.

Hunz is a great DIY artist from Australia. His main influences are listed as Kate Bush, Bjork and Radiohead. He has a beautiful voice and does all his composition and music production himself. Also hails from the legacy of the European Demo Scene.

Mind.In.A.Box is also a DIY artist, from Austria. I love his atmospheric electronic. Here is one example, because I love this song so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

When Cause & Effect came out, my friends and I were like "is that Dave Gahan, it sounds like Dave Gahan." Erasure - I was waiting for someone to list them. PSB, I like them so much, I took off Prince and re-did my list. A-ha - me and you. Sade - me and you. U2 - "Actung Baby" is my favorite album and I have the cover in poster form...so cool. I actually don't think most of yours are mainstream. But I hear you. My list was very mainstream in that I grew up on Top 40 and "discovered" KROQ (Pasadena/Los Angeles) when I was 16. Great list...love that you put Sade on there. I've seen her in concert 5 times, 4 proper shows, and then Leno in 1993 or so where I was just a few feet away and with several male friends, all mouths in the audience gaping wide. This is a woman who has twice gone 10 years without an album, only to have those albums go to #1 on the U.S. Billboard Charts. She won the Best New Artist Grammy in 1983 or so (very well deserved) and I like everything from Diamond Life to Soldier of Love.. Here is an old one...a classic...a bit long. Cheesy. And who is that actor at the very beginning of the video? Anyone?

[video=dailymotion;x2bmp4]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bmp4_sade-smooth-operator-complete-versi_music[/video]

My top 25 music artists

1) Depeche Mode
2) Morrissey / The Smiths (I always combine them so I can squeeze what I want in my top 5)
3) The Cure
4) Erasure
5) Pet Shop Boys
New Order
Hunz
Mind.In.A.Box
Frank Black / The Pixies
Cause & Effect
Electronic
A-ha
Tears For Fears
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
Dinosaur Jr.
U2 (Pre-Achtung Baby)
Sade
Sunfall Festival
Vangelis
Jean Michel Jarre
Oystein Sevag
Andreas Vollenweider
Pat Metheny

-----

Most of those are mainstream, although Sunfall Festival was a short lived local band, highlighted by an incredible female singer and a talented guitar player. Cause & Effect was a little-known American 90's Depeche Mode-esque band who's lead singer died tragically while on tour for their first album.

Hunz is a great DIY artist from Australia. His main influences are listed as Kate Bush, Bjork and Radiohead. He has a beautiful voice and does all his composition and music production himself. Also hails from the legacy of the European Demo Scene.

Mind.In.A.Box is also a DIY artist, from Austria. I love his atmospheric electronic. Here is one example, because I love this song so much.

When Cause & Effect came out, my friends and I were like "is that Dave Gahan, it sounds like Dave Gahan." Erasure - I was waiting for someone to list them. PSB, I like them so much, I took off Prince and re-did my list. A-ha - me and you. Sade - me and you. U2 - "Actung Baby" is my favorite album and I have the cover in poster form...so cool. I actually don't think most of yours are mainstream. But I hear you. My list was very mainstream in that I grew up on Top 40 and "discovered" KROQ (Pasadena/Los Angeles) when I was 16. Great list...love that you put Sade on there. I've seen her in concert 5 times, 4 proper shows, and then Leno in 1993 or so where I was just a few feet away and with several male friends, all mouths in the audience gaping wide. This is a woman who has twice gone 10 years without an album, only to have those albums go to #1 on the U.S. Billboard Charts. She won the Best New Artist Grammy in 1983 or so (very well deserved) and I like everything from Diamond Life to Soldier of Love.. Here is an old one...a classic...a bit long. Cheesy. And who is that actor at the very beginning of the video? Anyone?

[video=dailymotion;x2bmp4]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bmp4_sade-smooth-operator-complete-versi_music[/video]

Yeah, he really had that Dave Gahan sound. I loved that first album. They admitted later that it was a bit rough on the production, but I enjoy that, like a polished raw demo.

Yeah, I didn't always have Erasure and PSB in my top 5, although I have always loved them since the 80's. But I just had to come to terms that I loved them that much more than most, as evident by how much I listen to them still. I have really enjoyed the newer albums. Especially Erasure, has just seemed to get better with age. Vince Clarke is a god of synthesizer programming. I've enjoyed his compositions ever since Depeche Mode's Speak & Spell. Andy Bell is a great singer. While his lyrics aren't particularly deep, or great examples of poetry, he sings about unusual things in interesting phrases. The instrumental production Vince did with Martin Gore recently was pretty awesome - Ssss.

Sade has such a sultry voice. I have loved every album. She sounded great then. She sounds great now. That's awesome you have been able to see her live so many times.

For U2, I actually put Actung Baby on my dividing line, as when the music was starting to change. I know it was a success. I had it. And we used to listen to it a lot. But I don't revisit it. I love 80's U2. Although, as a one-off, I rather enjoy their album, Pop. It was just a break from what they had done, or what they did since. I certainly cannot follow U2 past the 90's in any way.

I guess mainstream wasn't the right word. But yes, for most of my list, I didn't have to go on a search to be exposed to it. Just growing up in Southern California did it. Not like Hunz or Mind.In.A.Box. where I had to go searching.

It is interesting with A-ha, here in the States, they seem to be regarded simply as an 80's band. But their 2009 release of the excellent Foot of the Mountain did incredibly well. People here have no idea, when their concept is dominated by the commercial distribution system.

According to their wiki:

The band has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide. In less than a year, during 2010, the band earned an estimated 500 million Norwegian Kroner on touring tickets, merchandising and the release of a greatest hits album, making them one of the 40–50 largest grossing bands in the world.

Buddy Holly, Elvis, Orbison, Cash, Dylan

Beatles, Kinks, Byrds, Buffalo Springfield

Neil Young, Leonard Cohen,Doors, Scott Walker

David Bowie, Mott, Iggy & Stooges, Velvet Underground

John Lennon, John Cale, Lou Reed, Nico, Roxy Music/Ferry/Eno

Springsteen, Dave Alvin, Graham Parker, Warren Zevon

Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, Richard Thompson, John Hiatt

Smiths/Morrissey, Marianne Faithfull, Nick Cave, the Church, Alejandro Escovedo

Jon Langford, Pulp/Jarvis Cocker, Bonnie Prince Billy, Mark Lanegan.........Chris Isaak

All of these artists and more. Music is the soulful distraction....all of it from Classical to heavy stuff to Jazz....all of it.

The thing is....I like everyone else's list as well, enjoy!

Somehow I missed The Who :confused: Off comes Kula Shaker.
The Beach Boys
Blur
Camera Obscura
The Charlatans
The Clash
The Cure
Echo and the Bunnymen
Elbow
Gene
Interpol
James
Joy Division
Kula Shaker
Morrissey
The National
New Order
The Psychedelic Furs
Ride
The Smiths
Suede
The Stone Roses
Sugar
Teenage Fanclub
The Verve
The Wedding Present

In no particular order
1. Elvis Presley
2. Buddy Holly
3. Johnny Burnette
4. Eddie Cochran
5. The Smiths
6. Morrissey
7. The Blue Cats
8. Clint Bradley
9. The Shakin' Pyramids
10. The Sharks
11. Restless
12. The Blasters
13. Nick 13
14. Long Tall Texans
15. Fatboy
16. Jesse Dayton
17. Two Tons of Steel
18. The Domino Kings
19. BR5-49
20. James Intveld
21. Matchbox
22. Gene Vincent
23. Gin Palace Jesters
24. Buzz and the Flyers
25. Jimmy Nail

cannot do it, sorry
there are bands/artists from when I was a kid that I still love hearing, and they are very different, especially after my mother and father's divorce
then it got more complicated when my step dad and his biker buddies started playing their tunes in the garage
which eventually became my domain, so then there was my first era of "my music" punk, The Smiths, new wave, early goth
later much more electronic, now its just all over the map really :crazy:

I'll try to come up with this off the top of my head so I'll probably leave someone important (to me at least) off accidentally. Kind of in order at the beginning but then not so much after that.

The Smiths/Morrissey
The Replacements
Elliott Smith
PJ Harvey
Thelonious Monster
The Auteurs/Luke Haines
Belle and Sebastian
Tsar
Heathers (current LA band, not the Irish female duo)
Dramarama
Dinosaur Jr.
Titus Andronicus
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Imperial Teen
Team Dresch/Kaia
Heavenly
Lois
Longstocking
Sleater-Kinney
Sebadoh/Lou Barlow
Hazel
My Favorite
Phranc
Allo Darlin'
Standard Fare
Suede

I know it's all 80's bands an newer but those are my favorite bands.

wow imperial teen, good list. i havent seen them mentioned outside of brett easton ellis's glamorama. suede were of course mentioned in the same book

Thanks. Imperial Teen are a great band. Really good live too, very energetic and always look like they are having so much fun.

wow imperial teen, good list. i havent seen them mentioned outside of brett easton ellis's glamorama. suede were of course mentioned in the same book

Sade has such a sultry voice. I have loved every album. She sounded great then. She sounds great now. That's awesome you have been able to see her live so many times.

It is interesting with A-ha, here in the States, they seem to be regarded simply as an 80's band. But their 2009 release of the excellent Foot of the Mountain did incredibly well. People here have no idea, when their concept is dominated by the commercial distribution system.

Replied with near-essays about Sade and A-ha. Got timed out. Probably for the best! :thumb:

The more I think about it the more things I totally missed (Pixies, U2, old Metallica, old Megadeth, old Slayer....) I can’t do this!

The Dude: Uh, and then, uh, the music business, briefly.
Maude Lebowski: Oh?
The Dude: Yeah. Roadie for Metallica
Maude Lebowski: Oh.
The Dude: Speed of Sound Tour
Maude Lebowski: Mm-hmm.
The Dude: Bunch of assholes.

The Dude: Uh, and then, uh, the music business, briefly.
Maude Lebowski: Oh?
The Dude: Yeah. Roadie for Metallica
Maude Lebowski: Oh.
The Dude: Speed of Sound Tour
Maude Lebowski: Mm-hmm.
The Dude: Bunch of assholes.

Lol!!!!!

Morrissey
Smiths
Buddy Holly
Elvis
Beatles
Doors
David Bowie
Iggy & Stooges
Nico
Springsteen
The Cure
Depeche Mode
The New York Dolls
Belle & Sebastian
Trashcan Sinatras
The Dream Academy (and pretty much every band you've ever/never heard of from Scotland. I just love that sound!)

You do know that's not Ringo, right?

Back
Top Bottom