Getting the lurkers to sign-up

The Cat's Mother

Unmentionable
Every time I check, there are more "guests" than members on this site - sometimes more than twice as many. Presumably we wish to encourage people to sign up and actively participate, rather than just gawp, so why not make certain areas of the site - downloads, for example - accessible to members only? Then folks have to join to get the goodies and who knows, once in, they might actually contribute to the forums!

Kate

xxx

I'm inclined to agree with this.

On the old board, I know there were TONS of lurkers.
We have 900+ registered users on this site now, but there are still a more out there who still lurk.

Members only download section will get more people to register and possibly contribute.

I have a feeling that many of the "guests" are users who haven't bothered to sign-in -- doing so, if at all, only prior to making a post.

Codreanu said:
I have a feeling that many of the "guests" are users who haven't bothered to sign-in -- doing so, if at all, only prior to making a post.

Might be true.
I have the setting to automatically have me logged in so I hadn't thought of that.

Codreanu said:

Yeah. And what of those who sign-in under invisible mode? Are they listed as guests?

*shrug* I'm okay with lurkers reading all the bullshit I post and keeping their mouths shut.

Yeah, I don't really care about the lurkers either really.

I just want people to share their rarities with others.
Real unheard items, etc.

At least there aren't anon posts allowed here. I know we don't take those jerks seriously anyway, but I do notice a much smoother flow of communication and community here that has long been absent from the main forums.

Lurk all you want, if a person can't make up their mind on their own to create a profile, I probably don't care what they have to say anyway...

Just my...

2cents.jpg

Ah ha, this>>> (*shrug* I'm okay with lurkers reading all the bullshit I post and keeping their mouths shut.) is hilarious!

*shakes head*

The Cat's Mother said:
Every time I check, there are more "guests" than members on this site - sometimes more than twice as many. Presumably we wish to encourage people to sign up and actively participate, rather than just gawp, so why not make certain areas of the site - downloads, for example - accessible to members only? Then folks have to join to get the goodies and who knows, once in, they might actually contribute to the forums!

Kate

xxx

You people really do need to take a long hard look at yourselves and your priorities in life.

signing-up, logging in...?

I've posted this elsewhere (Halifax gig review) but can anyone here tell me why I can't log in on the main site under the same name as I do here?

This might be a bit off-topic, but I know others have a been a bit confused since the changes, and I have too. Possibly this could be affecting the number of lurkers, as you put it, against members.

It might be just lack of familiarity, but techno-phobes can struggle a bit - or am i just a dunce in a suit?

:confused:

It's a totally different log in system, so you'll need separate accounts.

Wild Oscar said:
I've posted this elsewhere (Halifax gig review) but can anyone here tell me why I can't log in on the main site under the same name as I do here?

This might be a bit off-topic, but I know others have a been a bit confused since the changes, and I have too. Possibly this could be affecting the number of lurkers, as you put it, against members.

It might be just lack of familiarity, but techno-phobes can struggle a bit - or am i just a dunce in a suit?

:confused:

I am registered member and I still lurk outside all of your homes at night.

Oh, you're talking about lurking on the website.

Nevermind.

The Cat's Mother said:

Kate

xxx

I've not noticed that before now

25 Members
117 Guests

Some people may be put off joining by the fact that there are a few members on here who appear to be completely and utterly barking mad.
That and the lack of respect for Morrissey in general.

Theo said:
Yeah. And what of those who sign-in under invisible mode? Are they listed as guests?
No, they are listed as members, but their name does not appear there.

I don't have my computer set to automatically log in, because I share the machine, and the automatic logging-out is quite aggressive - not a complaint or anything, but it seems that if I leave the site for 15 minutes, then come back, I'm logged out and show up as a guest until I log back in. And I only log in if I actually post, view an attachment, etc - when I read, I'm usually not logged in, so I show up as a guest. I agree, the vast majority of guests are probably non-logged-in members. But lurkers are welcome to lurk of course. xo, math+

Back
Top Bottom