Gilbert O'Sullivan a little irked with Morrissey

I am a Ghost

Can't find this interview with Gilbert O'Sullivan from the Irish edition of The Sunday Times online, so here is the relevant section..

Perhaps as a gesture of fellowship to another writer of melancholic songs, perhaps as a nod to someone whose upbringing included Irish influences as well as English ones, when Morrissey played two nights in Dublin eight years ago, he performed the song that brought Gilbert O'Sullivan to prominence in 1970, Nothing Rhymed. For O'Sullivan, who regards himself as a songwriter equal to figures such as Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, and consequently feels perennially overlooked, Morrissey's gesture was a rare and welcome acknowledgement of his place in the musical firmament.

A few years later, browsing in a London bookshop, O'Sullivan checked the indexes of the three available Morrissey biographies to see if they mentioned him. There was no reason why they should:Morrissey's two performances of Nothing Rhymed at the Ambassador were the first and last times he included the song in his set. Moreover, when O'Sullivan had his string of hits in the early 1970's, Morrissey was busy gorging on the New York Dolls, and never subsequently cited the Waterford-born singer-songwriter as an influence. Nevertheless, O'Sullivan was irked to find no mention of him in the biographies. "So", he says, recalling the episode in suite in the Four Seasons in Ballsbridge, "I don't think it was that important to him."

For those in Direland, there is a new one hour documentary on O'Sullivan tomorrow evening on RTE 1 at 10.15.

ARTS LIVES: Gilbert O’Sullivan –
Out on His Own RTÉ One (20th April)
Gilbert O’Sullivan was Ireland’s first
international pop star.
In the early 1970s he sat on top of the global
charts with, Alone Again (Naturally), Clair,
Nothing Rhymed, Get Down and Matrimony.
The poster pin-up star was up there with the likes of Elton John and The
Osmonds but by the mid 70s his career began to wane and by the time
he came out of a long legal dispute with his manager in the mid 80s his
career had drifted into relative obscurity where it has stayed ever sense.
Today, the 62-year-old O’Sullivan is still working, touring and recording
from his homes on Jersey and in Nashville, still songwriting from Monday to
Friday, nine-to-five, driven to achieve again the chart success he once had.
Filmed throughout 2009 on Jersey, and in London, Nashville and Israel,
Gilbert O’Sulllivan - Out on his Own is a fascinating and witty journey through
the personal and creative highs and lows of this unconventional soloist,
complex, unwavering and often difficult. This is the first time O’Sullivan has
given access to a documentary crew, allowing a rare insight into the private
world of a single-minded and often pugnacious music man.
Director: Adrian McCarthy
Producers: Adrian McCarthy, Martha O’Neill
Produced by Wildfire Films for RTÉ

Last edited:
For those in Direland, there is a new one hour documentary on O'Sullivan tomorrow evening on RTE 1 at 10.15.

Cheers for the heads up, I'd love to see that but there's a gorse fire raging out of control down here and it's taking all me potatoes with it.
It wouldn't be the same watching in black and white anyway.

It is mentioned - in the Mozipedia; Gilbert gets his own section, gets called a gifted songwriter, gets a mention for Nothing Rhymed, and a mention for Yes I Am Blind, which is based on it.

P.

It is mentioned - in the Mozipedia; Gilbert gets his own section, gets called a gifted songwriter, gets a mention for Nothing Rhymed, and a mention for Yes I Am Blind, which is based on it.

P.

I'd never noticed the similarity between 'Yes, I Am Blind' and 'Nothing Rhymed' before. They're remarkably similar.

An aside: I have vivid memories of dancing/jumping up and down on the settee to 'Get Down' when I was about three years old.:guitar:

I'd never noticed the similarity between 'Yes, I Am Blind' and 'Nothing Rhymed' before. They're remarkably similar.

An aside: I have vivid memories of dancing/jumping up and down on the settee to 'Get Down' when I was about three years old.:guitar:

Me too when about eight years old. :thumb:

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cOnbM7X4BYg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cOnbM7X4BYg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Should we then consider all biographers terminally daft? (it's not Morrissey's fault really if they can't trace an influence by themselves :rolleyes:) I think we should, Gilbert.:straightface:

:highfive:

Could it be that Simon didn't miss something for once? :eek: WHOA! (I need a drink to celebrate that. I'm off to the pub.:thumb:)

Edit/ :crazy: these dogs have been sedated.:mad: They're not dancing, it's not normal.

...(My great-uncle Benny's in that video.:) )

(That his cousin Alistair leaving after the first verse. Never was one for music, Alistair.)

Last edited:
Sounds like a loser to me :crazy:

Anyway, if like Peter says he's mentioned in the Mozipedia, that should do it.
Also, Morrissey's bios have never been written by Morrissey, sh the "I don't think it was that important to him." remark is stupid of him.

Me too when about eight years old. :thumb:

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cOnbM7X4BYg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cOnbM7X4BYg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Me and my brother (a year older than me) used to fight over which records to play. 'Get Down' was always my choice, whilst he always demanded 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree' by Dawn. I think they were both in the charts around the same time.

Both records were actually my dad's. :cool:/:o

Me and my brother (a year older than me) used to fight over which records to play. 'Get Down' was always my choice, whilst he always demanded 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree' by Dawn. I think they were both in the charts around the same time.

Both records were actually my dad's. :cool:/:o

That's another big memory too!

Sounds like a loser to me :crazy:

Anyway, if like Peter says he's mentioned in the Mozipedia, that should do it.
Also, Morrissey's bios have never been written by Morrissey, sh the "I don't think it was that important to him." remark is stupid of him.

Why don't you come right out and say exactly what you mean. :lbf:

Edit/ :crazy: these dogs have been sedated.:mad: They're not dancing, it's not normal.

Neither are Pan's People. :straightface:

...Me and a mate bought tickets to see Gilbert back in the early 1980's, at liverpool Empire.....The show was cancelled due to (VERY) poor ticket sales
( I think about 7 people bothered to buy them....) which was a shame, as he is quite a good songwriter.
I have always thought "Get Down" was a rather "Sexist" sort of song anyways....
...Isn't it something about a man "Slagging" his female partner off for refusing to encourage his Alcohol abusing lifestyle.....but the Dogs on the "Pans people" Youtube clip are Hysterically funny to me!!!

PS, if anyone cares, "Claire" is the absolute worst song EVER written....
turgid , mawkish, sentimental, "Emotion-by Numbers", Utter shite, in my opinion.
Also, while still on a "Gilbo" related theme...I was at a Karaoke night once, and someone was singing "Alone again, Naturally".....
and they sang the lyric:-

"In a little while from now....I thought I'd seen a Cow".....Priceless!!!!

then I think I will. Last time I "checked out" it was James, and I haven't been sorry ;)

Pathethic as it is quoting one's self, here I go.
I tried a few songs, and he's not my cuppa. At all. Morrissey picked his best song surely.
At one point I was embarrased at the lyrics, that's not good :p

I don't understand. He looked at some Morrissey books and found he wasn't mentioned and made the remark that "it wasn't that important to him". What wasn't? That Morrissey sang one of his songs once? That doesn't seem like something that would get a mention.

And it doesn't sound like he said, "That bastard Morrissey! After all I've done for him!"

also, Gillbert O'Sullivan is like the Irish Barry Manilow with less hit songs.

At one point I was embarrased at the lyrics, that's not good :p

I don't find Gilbert to be an embarrassment. I get Gilbertian good vibes.

Also, I think everybody should remember journalists interpret, and sometimes, project. He's probably not "irked" at all. He's probably having a good breakfast even as we type. ;)

I don't find Gilbert to be an embarrassment. I get Gilbertian good vibes.

Also, I think everybody should remember journalists interpret, and sometimes, project. He's probably not "irked" at all. He's probably having a good breakfast even as we type. ;)

you're right about that :p

Back
Top Bottom